Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 03:03 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,627,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
I agree the Subways should be 100% ADA
Helllllllllllllllllll no!

The unions, politicians taking money, and red tape up the wazoo means nothing ever gets done in this city that isn't 2000% more expensive than it should be. Any and all funds should be going towards ensuring the trains run on time and without interruption or delay. That is SUPREME PRIORITY #1. People who need an elevator should look elsewhere for their transportation needs.

The ADA is well intentioned but it's a terrible law that imposes substantial burdens on society with no exceptions except the grandfather clause
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 03:12 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,627,769 times
And hopefully this stops the outrage but looks like Goodson died of a heart attack or something which THEN caused her to tumble:

"The chief medical examiner, Dr. Barbara Sampson, did not provide details except to say that there was “no significant trauma” in the death of the woman, Malaysia Goodson. She said the cause of Ms. Goodson’s death had not yet been determined. Ms. Goodson’s daughter Rhylee, who was tucked in the stroller, survived."
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/30/n...irs-death.html

It wasn't the subway that killed her it was her own health condition
(not that I don't expect DeBozio from giving the family a 10 million settlement anyways)

Old 01-30-2019, 05:05 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,036,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
And hopefully this stops the outrage but looks like Goodson died of a heart attack or something which THEN caused her to tumble:

"The chief medical examiner, Dr. Barbara Sampson, did not provide details except to say that there was “no significant trauma” in the death of the woman, Malaysia Goodson. She said the cause of Ms. Goodson’s death had not yet been determined. Ms. Goodson’s daughter Rhylee, who was tucked in the stroller, survived."
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/30/n...irs-death.html

It wasn't the subway that killed her it was her own health condition
(not that I don't expect DeBozio from giving the family a 10 million settlement anyways)
MTA is run by the state, so any suing would have to happen at the state level. I really hope it doesn't get to that, especially given these findings.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:48 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,539,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I've been asked a couple of times by women to carry a stroller down the subway stairs. Once I was on an E train in Manhattan and a woman was leaving the train with her baby in a stroller. I was sitting next to the door and I looked down and saw the stroller wheels got stuck between the train and the platform. I jumped up to hold the doors in case the conductor couldn't see what was going on. A man on the platform came right over and lifted the stroller out of the gap. A third guy on the train got up to help but by then the mother and baby were safely off the train. During the whole thing nobody said a word, we just acted.
In the situations where I did it it was me approaching the mom after seeing her having difficulty. I remember one case where she was more surprised I didn't hit on her and jokingly said so.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:06 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,539,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I see strangers offering to lift one end of the mother's stroller all the time. I don't see any of the mothers looking shocked. I suppose if you offer to carry the entire stroller yourself, you might get a stunned look.
So you and I have had different experiences. Big deal what you've seen. And to be specific, I take the entire stroller myself, as usually these women are the size of one of my legs.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:05 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,036,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
So you and I have had different experiences. Big deal what you've seen. And to be specific, I take the entire stroller myself, as usually these women are the size of one of my legs.
Ok, like I said, if you’re offering to carry the entire stroller, that accounts for the stunned looks. And as for the “big deal” comment, I guess no one’s posts or opinions on here are really a big deal, including both mine and yours.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:23 AM

43,341 posts, read 44,052,401 times
Now the reports are coming out that the fall down the stairs probably didn't cause her death but rather some kind of medical incident due to a pre-existing medical condition.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0d9f9be69bb05

Old 01-31-2019, 07:07 AM

31,657 posts, read 26,548,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Now the reports are coming out that the fall down the stairs probably didn't cause her death but rather some kind of medical incident due to a pre-existing medical condition.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0d9f9be69bb05
Which should shut some of the armchair quarterbacks up who at once pounced on the MTA about access issues.

People "drop dead" for a host of reasons all the time. That and or simply die in their sleep. Sometimes these conditions are pre-existing, others totally unknown.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:17 AM

33,468 posts, read 46,872,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
I agree the Subways should be 100% ADA. On the other hand, where does the MTA get the money to do this?
Some train stations simply do not have the room to put the elevators. Its hard, and in some cases, impossible, to make something that was built over 100 years ago ADA-compliant.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-31-2019, 10:35 AM

5,289 posts, read 6,106,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Some train stations simply do not have the room to put the elevators. Its hard, and in some cases, impossible, to make something that was built over 100 years ago ADA-compliant.

Not true. Below is a photo of an elevator vestibule on one of Philly's Broad Street subway platforms, which is very narrow,

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City