Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 05:45 PM

34,093 posts, read 47,293,896 times

Advertisements

One of the early best threads of the year

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 06:00 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
One of the early best threads of the year
I'm not sure, the one from our friend who tried to compare stuy town to Parkchester was pretty good.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:02 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Well - you don’t mention the fire trucks, honking cabs, people yelling and drilling noise (that always seems to be present no matter where you are lol) so soundproofing can be a nice feature and/or live on a higher floor, if possible. But nightclubs are far from being the only noise in the city. A lot of complaints, in fact - are in regard to neighbors. Anyway, tribeca is relatively quiet - all things considered - and even draws families.
I mentioned how noisy the clubs are to back up what Livingsingle said about them. I wasn't talking about noise in general.
My post was a direct response to what Livingsingle said. And my point wasn't about how quiet or noisy Tribeca is. My point is that clubs are noisy places.

Last edited by Aeran; 02-07-2019 at 06:15 PM..

Old 02-07-2019, 06:15 PM

8,667 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I mentioned how noisy the clubs are to back up what Livingsingle said about them. I wasn't talking about noise in general.
My post was a direct response to what Livingsingle said. And my point wasn't about how quiet or noisy Tribeca it is. My point is that clubs are noisy places.
No problem - my point is NYC is a noisy place and other things need to be factored in (other than just clubs) when determining a location to live!

Old 02-07-2019, 08:37 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
I lived on the UWS for nearly three years, in a significantly more downmarket pocket than OP is looking at. Never once did I get hassled by a homeless person. Took way more crap on a weekly basis on the subway than I ever did on Broadway or Amsterdam.
I lived in UWS for a few years and can only think of literally 1 time anybody even asked me for money (outside of a Duane Reade up the street). Barely ever saw any homeless people. Here and there every once in awhile, but not a lot. It was basically every once in awhile outside of the Duane Reade and they were the shyest homeless people ever. It was probably less than half the time they actually verbalized asking for money. There was another guy outside of a bodega across the street who would open the door for you, but again... nope.

I work in Manhattan West, and would take the train to Penn Station and walk a little bit. You want to talk about homeless and hassling - it's that area. Not the UWS right now.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:21 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,349,201 times
Yes, you’ll be bored out of your mind. If you’re looking for an area where you’ll be thrilled and have plenty of nightlife you should look into Jamaica Queens, The South Bronx, Brownsville or East New York Brooklyn. Plenty of action.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:55 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Yes, you’ll be bored out of your mind. If you’re looking for an area where you’ll be thrilled and have plenty of nightlife you should look into Jamaica Queens, The South Bronx, Brownsville or East New York Brooklyn. Plenty of action.
This might be the best post of the thread.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:54 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
This might be the best post of the thread.
We should get all the people looking to move to nyc to move those places. Then places like the uws will go down in rent and we can afford to live there again. Come on team....

Old 02-09-2019, 09:18 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
We should get all the people looking to move to nyc to move those places. Then places like the uws will go down in rent and we can afford to live there again. Come on team....
Haha

Old 02-10-2019, 10:44 AM

175 posts, read 279,516 times
You're nuts. I would kill to live there. Amazing transit options if you want a short trip to the trendy hot spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City