Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 03:14 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times

Advertisements

I know we dont have the beach in the city, but we do have 2 rivers. Goes all the way north,and south to Florida and beyond.

I dont see the average nyer or outer boro guy into boating/jetskis as in other parts of the country.

Besides not having a dedicated parking spot,for a boat and trailer, what would be another reason?

There are docks in many locations of each boro, free to use. Getting licensed is not hard at all.

I can pick up some jetskis and trailer for under $10000, or a used boat for a little more. I did have the pleasure of riding the harbour over the summer,what an experience. I am getting ready for the spring.

But I still dont get it, even some friends with lots of parking,reaching middle age ,show no intrest.they will get a sports car,motor bike or some other bs, no water nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 03:24 PM

1,486 posts, read 989,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
I know we dont have the beach in the city, but we do have 2 rivers. Goes all the way north,and south to Florida and beyond.

I dont see the average nyer or outer boro guy into boating/jetskis as in other parts of the country.

Besides not having a dedicated parking spot,for a boat and trailer, what would be another reason?

There are docks in many locations of each boro, free to use. Getting licensed is not hard at all.

I can pick up some jetskis and trailer for under $10000, or a used boat for a little more. I did have the pleasure of riding the harbour over the summer,what an experience. I am getting ready for the spring.

But I still dont get it, even some friends with lots of parking,reaching middle age ,show no intrest.they will get a sports car,motor bike or some other bs, no water nothing.
You are more than welcome to do what ever water activity YOU want in that **** brown water. Have at it but once you fall off that ever water vehicle into the cesspool you will see why most people dont want to do water activities in there.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:39 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Speak for yourself and those you know. There are beaches all over the city and jetskis out all summer. Marinas, boating, fishing, parasailing... the waterfront of NYC is packed all summer.

I keep my jetski in NJ only because I have a free house to store/dock/ride it from.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-04-2019, 03:41 PM

80 posts, read 115,992 times
You gonna come out that water with a mushroom growing on your lip.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:11 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,477,629 times
Why isn't NYC associated with seafood more?

Its associated more with steak

Old 02-04-2019, 04:13 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
You outta come out east to the Mastics.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:13 PM

88,577 posts, read 84,777,093 times
OP didn't see this in the news a couple of days ago?

https://nypost.com/2019/01/31/manhat...its-own-beach/

Old 02-04-2019, 04:16 PM

88,577 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Speak for yourself and those you know. There are beaches all over the city and jetskis out all summer. Marinas, boating, fishing, parasailing... the waterfront of NYC is packed all summer.

I keep my jetski in NJ only because I have a free house to store/dock/ride it from.

I see this, too. You can take sailing lessons on the Hudson right out of Jersey City, and I see sailboats on the river all the time in nice weather.

Lots of people have boats. I don't know where the OP has been. Even taking the ferry up from the Jersey coast it's amazing to see how much boat traffic there is.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:18 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
That’s not true. I like riding the ferries. I go to beaches, mostly during the summer, but occasionally outside of summer. I like wading into the ocean, fishing, being on boats and surfing. You can do all these things and more here, but you have to go seek them out. The water’s cleaner now than it’s been in decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Why isn't NYC associated with seafood more?

Its associated more with steak
Oysters have a long established history in NYC. There are also a good many fancy seafood dishes from NYC such as my beloved Lobster Newburg. Maybe it’s because there’s not a single item that just says New York in it like New York strip?

Old 02-04-2019, 04:31 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,477,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
That’s not true. I like riding the ferries. I go to beaches, mostly during the summer, but occasionally outside of summer. I like wading into the ocean, fishing, being on boats and surfing. You can do all these things and more here, but you have to go seek them out. The water’s cleaner now than it’s been in decades.

Oysters have a long established history in NYC. There are also a good many fancy seafood dishes from NYC such as my beloved Lobster Newburg. Maybe it’s because there’s not a single item that just says New York in it like New York strip?

did you get the lobster newburg at delmonico's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City