Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 04:27 AM

20 posts, read 14,937 times

Advertisements

Looking for suggestions/opinions/experiences to help my son decide on the right HS choice. He seems to be able to go with any of them. Any thoughts/preferences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 06:35 AM

268 posts, read 239,315 times
Horace Mann, no question. The others aren't even in the same league. Heck, they are practically a different sport if you're going with that metaphor.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:20 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Horace Mann for prestige of going to school with all those rich kids. Chaminade for hockey, and Xavier if you want your kids to hang around the heart of Manhattan.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:39 PM

Default Thanks so much!

We were wait listed for HM. So deciding between Xavier, Chaminade and Molloy. We had an offer to Fordham Prep also, but the commute didn't seem as worth it for Prep as for HM. Is there any real difference between these Catholic school choices?

Old 03-25-2019, 09:25 PM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times
All these schools have open houses and admitted students days.

My son attend Archbishop Stepinac in White Plains. When we went to the admitted students night, he fitted right in. A friend choice Fordham Prep because it fit her son's personality and drive.

Yes, every school is different which is why you should visit and pick up on the vibe.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:06 PM

We’ve done this and he seems drawn to Xavier and Horace Mann. He likes the community service mission at Xavier and feel its more liberal and diverse than the other catholic options. The thing about the open houses is that they put the best kids out for presentation and staff and administration are on best behavior and hospitable for obvious reasons. Without an actual shadow day opportunity you really don’t know what you’re getting into. If you don’t mind me asking, whag does your friend think of Fordham Prep after actually attneding? In hindsight, I think I should’ve considered.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:32 AM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times
He loved Fordham! My friend's son lived in Manhattan so Fordham was not around the corner. They felt it was worth the trip. He went onto the University of Chicago from there.

My son's middle school principal loved Fordham and recommended it for my son. I thought the commute was too long.

Most of my son's middle school class went onto Kennedy Catholic in Somers. As I was not impressed with Kennedy, I thought it was odd. Then I learned it is not uncommon for groups/friends to want to stick together.

My son was the only boy from his middle school to chose to Archbishop Stepinac so he attended a Stepinac summer camp. He met a few fellow incoming freshmen. When he walked into Stepinac on the first day he knew someone. It helped.

Good Luck! It's hard to make a bad choice as all these schools are pretty good.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:24 AM

20 posts, read 13,306 times
Horace Mann. Really good facilities and some of the best teachers around. Super nice neighborhood. More expensive but since you are considering it I'm assuming cost is not an issue for you.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:27 AM

We’re wait listed for Horace Mann. And cost is an issue but will try to make the best choice for education first even if it means cutting lifestyle spending. I think it’s worth the sacrifice if the school will have a meaningful impact greater than Xavier. Brooklyn Latin is also an option. So confused. Who would’ve thought selecting a high school would be so stressful. I just attended my zoned school and the college closest to me.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:45 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highschoolhelp View Post
We’re wait listed for Horace Mann. And cost is an issue but will try to make the best choice for education first even if it means cutting lifestyle spending. I think it’s worth the sacrifice if the school will have a meaningful impact greater than Xavier. Brooklyn Latin is also an option. So confused. Who would’ve thought selecting a high school would be so stressful. I just attended my zoned school and the college closest to me.
It's only stressful because you're making it that way. Sent the kid to what you can afford. End of story... Kid should understand that money doesn't grow on trees. I went to public school and finished in a private school in Europe. I'm doing just fine...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City