Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Rubin Diaz Resign
Yes 5 22.73%
No 17 77.27%
Let City Council pursue motion to remove him/technically your fired 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 11:25 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,971,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I need a safe space!
Trigger warning in 3,2,1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 03:47 AM

92,552 posts, read 122,787,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
The governor dressed up in blackface for a Michael Jackson halloween costume decades ago. I'd be surprised if anyone down there DIDN'T dress up in black face at some point in their life
This statement reminded me of this Spectrum News segment: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nc/tri...-offensiveness

As for this topic, Diaz is also pastor and in turn, is likely coming from a place that is more Biblically based versus strictly politically based. He has also put his statement in a context of admiration of the LGBTQ community’s ability to have an agenda that moves that community forward via political seats and processes. So, questions of “religious”/political intersectionality and context could/should be asked.

This is why personally, I think people almost use politics as a religion in terms of ideology and perhaps can’t see how others could be led by more Biblical/spiritual means, while using government as a vehicle to help the community they serve. It isn’t anything new in NYC or elsewhere, but I think things have become so strict in terms of “blue/red” or “left/right” or “liberal/conservative”, that people are forgetting how to serve and govern in a way that helps their community at large.

I’d also say to be careful to put some of the things mentioned in the OP under one umbrella. I say that because the needs may be or are different. I think people make an easy assumption that if one historically disenfranchised group(for lack of a better term) has an agenda, it is the same for other similar groups. That isn’t necessarily the case, because the disenfranchisement or “struggle” isn’t the same, nor necessarily its impact or even the results certain agendas get over others. I think many people are underestimating this not only in regards to Díaz, but in general as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-14-2019 at 04:15 AM..

Old 02-14-2019, 06:47 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,652,340 times
Diaz's views on sex orientation have been known for decades.

Folk had many other issues with Diaz, including him leaving his state senate job and running for city council. He says it was to "protect the cab drivers" (from the Ubers and Lyfts.). But critics say that he left the more salary-stagnant state legislature to run for the higher-paying city council seat. Add to that being part of the infamous New York State "Gang of Four."

I remember the city council primary campaign debate, with the three young opponents, Farias, Garcia and Beltzer. Talk about "interesting." Fios News' Dominic Carter moderated. Fios is nowhere near that place without the high-profile Diaz. And the cheering crowd for Diaz sounded like they were "bused in." But them young opponents were too inexperienced to deal with that....!

Old 02-14-2019, 07:34 AM

1,183 posts, read 702,105 times
I don't see what the issue is. The Bible, the Koran - both are explicitly sexist and homophobic. If you wear a cross or a hijab you are saying "I'm a member of an ideology that is homophobic." Its not like we all didn't know this previously. We have female members of congress (Omar) wearing essentially a hat that says "I'm homophobic and sexist." People have been giving hateful ideology a pass forever as long as that ideology is also labeled a "religion." Now you going to change the rules on him?

Old 02-14-2019, 09:59 AM

106 posts, read 59,812 times
He must resign and I'm glad he was apprehended for what he said already. He leads a very homophobic and backward congregation in The Bronx and this is not acceptable. Stop the hate.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:40 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,649,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
I don't see what the issue is. The Bible, the Koran - both are explicitly sexist and homophobic. If you wear a cross or a hijab you are saying "I'm a member of an ideology that is homophobic." Its not like we all didn't know this previously. We have female members of congress (Omar) wearing essentially a hat that says "I'm homophobic and sexist." People have been giving hateful ideology a pass forever as long as that ideology is also labeled a "religion." Now you going to change the rules on him?
"homophobic" is such a curious word, not sure this Diaz guy is 'scared" of gay people he just doesn't approve based on his beliefs (which are widespread by the way). Unless he's out trying to discriminate against gay people or advocating harm to them he is free to express his opinions. If you don't like it then vote him out

Old 02-14-2019, 11:22 AM

33,784 posts, read 47,011,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
"homophobic" is such a curious word, not sure this Diaz guy is 'scared" of gay people he just doesn't approve based on his beliefs (which are widespread by the way). Unless he's out trying to discriminate against gay people or advocating harm to them he is free to express his opinions. If you don't like it then vote him out
I agree, calling him homophobic would not be the proper choice of words to describe Diaz here

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-14-2019, 11:31 AM

1,183 posts, read 702,105 times
"Homophobic", despite the words roots, does not mean "scared of" homosexuality in current day usage. Similarly, "Islamophobic" does not mean "scared of " Islam.

Diaz certainly qualifies as homophobic.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:58 AM

33,784 posts, read 47,011,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
"Homophobic", despite the words roots, does not mean "scared of" homosexuality in current day usage. Similarly, "Islamophobic" does not mean "scared of " Islam.

Diaz certainly qualifies as homophobic.
People twist things to suit their logic, depending on the climate. A phobia by definition is what it is.

Stories like this are par for the course.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-14-2019, 12:17 PM

5,441 posts, read 5,669,908 times
He should not resign. Let the electorate decide.

The only people who should resign are those who have criminal charges pending against them or otherwise can't perform their duties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City