Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2019, 11:21 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,276,375 times

Advertisements

https://www.welcome2thebronx.com/201...cUMJGOGB4eQqSk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 11:35 AM

37,118 posts, read 39,327,883 times
I wonder what percentage of purchases are homeowners buying for their place of residence and what percentage are LLCs buying to flip. Maybe there's an article out on that somewhere.

There's also a pretty decent amount of surface lots that can be built upon in a lot of parts of the Bronx. I wonder if there's a lot of new construction outside of Mott Haven and Port Morris.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:43 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,276,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I wonder what percentage of purchases are homeowners buying for their place of residence and what percentage are LLCs buying to flip. Maybe there's an article out on that somewhere.

There's also a pretty decent amount of surface lots that can be built upon in a lot of parts of the Bronx. I wonder if there's a lot of new construction outside of Mott Haven and Port Morris.
Plenty of places being bought up all over the Bronx. Luxury condo going up in Riverdale that I'm sure cost millions for the developer to buy the land. I think Seventh Floor posted it here a while ago. 3128 Henry Hudson Parkway. In Pelham Bay, a diner just sold for $10.25 million ... Anyone who thinks that the Bronx is just a dumping ground is truly mistaken. Cheap it is not...

https://www.bxtimes.com/stories/2019...-02-22-bx.html

Old 02-25-2019, 12:08 PM

1,486 posts, read 987,211 times
The bronx has become increasingly expensive over the years. Many of those those empty lots and community gardens was brought out and now have buildings on them. I remember back in the day walking down The Hub 3rd avenue and making a wrong turn and ended up on Bergen ave. It was like i stepped into a wasteland. Now, today take that same turn and walk down Bergen ave ...night and day!!

Old 02-25-2019, 02:39 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,595,547 times
My daughter the other day expressed gratitude to us for having our crappy house in the Bronx nearly paid off. She is 18 and when she was 12-16 begged us to sell it and move to more fashionable areas. She noticed as a younger girl the negative reputation the Bronx has among those from other boroughs when she went to HS in Manhattan. Over the last few years of visiting friends homes in Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan and her friends visiting us, she has come to appreciate our neighborhood, street, and house. She is grateful to know that she will inherit a house in the Bronx. She won't struggle to make the rent.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:28 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,628,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
My daughter the other day expressed gratitude to us for having our crappy house in the Bronx nearly paid off. She is 18 and when she was 12-16 begged us to sell it and move to more fashionable areas. She noticed as a younger girl the negative reputation the Bronx has among those from other boroughs when she went to HS in Manhattan. Over the last few years of visiting friends homes in Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan and her friends visiting us, she has come to appreciate our neighborhood, street, and house. She is grateful to know that she will inherit a house in the Bronx. She won't struggle to make the rent.
My kids have said that they thought this was a great place to grow up (the oldest is a senior in HS).

I think the rise in prices is a shame - even though we're homeowners, I see no upside since we're not planning to sell--it's just higher taxes and maybe adult kids living with you longer than anyone would like.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:46 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,595,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
My kids have said that they thought this was a great place to grow up (the oldest is a senior in HS).

I think the rise in prices is a shame - even though we're homeowners, I see no upside since we're not planning to sell--it's just higher taxes and maybe adult kids living with you longer than anyone would like.
My daughter admits she had a great upbringing in the BX too. In the summer she had a backyard. I used to driver her after school to do homework at Orchard Beach or Pelham Bay. I also took the express bus to Central Park often. She enjoyed the summer camp at the Y and enjoyed the gym and pool since she was a baby. Lots of other fun and the fun of Playing in the fire hydrant and local play grounds.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:56 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,628,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
My daughter admits she had a great upbringing in the BX too. In the summer she had a backyard. I used to driver her after school to do homework at Orchard Beach or Pelham Bay. I also took the express bus to Central Park often. She enjoyed the summer camp at the Y and enjoyed the gym and pool since she was a baby. Lots of other fun and the fun of Playing in the fire hydrant and local play grounds.
That sounds great. They grow up fast. Hey good luck to your daughter with college admissions (I think I remember that she's the same grade as my oldest).

Old 02-27-2019, 04:22 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,878,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
and maybe adult kids living with you longer than anyone would like.
That's the reality of having kids in one of the most expensive real estate markets in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City