Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 08:20 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,321,057 times

Advertisements

Hello,

For the past 3 months, my job has had me contracted out in Manhattan as desktop support engineer for one of our clients. They bought out our old client and split the IT portion of the company with us. I immediately fell in love with working out in the city, as well as the company, and they love having me here too. We were in talks of drumming up a contract in which I would work out here 3 days a week, and work the remaining 2 back in Connecticut at my actual job. this would have resolved their issuing of not finding a candidate fit for the role. Sadly due to money, as well as finding a company for half the price, the deal fell through, and my last day is Feb. 28th.

I have gotten used to navigating my way through the city, and really do like working out here better than Connecticut. Unfortunately I do not live on the New Haven line, so commuting is an issue. I live near Hartford, so it takes about 35 minutes to get to the train, and the train ride is usually 1hr 45m. If I choose to walk to the hotel my job puts me up in instead of taking a cab, it's almost a 20 minute walk. So I know I would need to move closer, which wouldn't be an issue, but my concern is if I can actually find work out here. Will employers immediately turn me down when they see on my resume that I live in CT? Especially if I'm more towards Hartford and not New Haven?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 09:32 AM

1,486 posts, read 989,335 times
No they wont turn you down but you will have to foot the expense in time and money to get to and from work. That is 3+ hours you will be commuting every day plus the cost of the Metro North plus if you have to transfer to a local train.

So knowing this, what job do you think will you get in the city that will pay you enough where you can actually see a profit after living expenses and commute costs?

Old 02-26-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
No they wont turn you down but you will have to foot the expense in time and money to get to and from work. That is 3+ hours you will be commuting every day plus the cost of the Metro North plus if you have to transfer to a local train.

So knowing this, what job do you think will you get in the city that will pay you enough where you can actually see a profit after living expenses and commute costs?

Correct, it's about 2h 30m of travel time. Thankfully My job was putting me up in a hotel. You're right about commuting costs as well. If I were to take on a job in Manhattan, I would be moving closer to cut down on commute time. I have looked at places in West Haven, Milford, and Stratford. A small apartment is all I need really. I would like to work out in the city for a couple years to save up money since jobs out there pay more than CT.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:09 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
Definitely move closer if that's an option. The station at Stamford has express trains that go straight to Harlem-125th and then Grand Central.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Definitely move closer if that's an option. The station at Stamford has express trains that go straight to Harlem-125th and then Grand Central.
I would love to move to Stamford, but I think it's a bit out of my price range right now.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:55 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy1988 View Post
I would love to move to Stamford, but I think it's a bit out of my price range right now.
You can rent a small co op in Westchester pretty cheap.

I would only recommend Milford area if you were looking to maximize a house purchase and didn’t mind the compromised commute. As much as I love it here, it’s not necessarily a logical option for renting with an NYC commute.

Also, have you considered working in Stamford? Lots of IT gigs there too and more of an NYC-like work culture than Hartford area. That’s an easy commute from Milford.

Last edited by Stylo; 02-26-2019 at 12:04 PM..

Old 02-26-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
You can rent a small co op in Westchester pretty cheap.

I would only recommend Milford area if you were looking to maximize a house purchase and didn’t mind the compromised commute. As much as I love it here, it’s not necessarily a logical option for renting with an NYC commute.

Also, have you considered working in Stamford? Lots of IT gigs there too and more of an NYC-like work culture than Hartford area. That’s an easy commute from Milford.
Thank you Stylo! No, I hadn't even considered Stamford in terms of jobs. I'll research it tonight to see what's out there.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:08 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy1988 View Post
Thank you Stylo! No, I hadn't even considered Stamford in terms of jobs. I'll research it tonight to see what's out there.
In Stamford, Kayak.com, Indeed, Gartner, Pitney Bowes, are just a few companies to look at. A handy list here: https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/st..._IC1148355.htm

Check out Norwalk too. Priceline is based there, as well as Datto, which is a large CT-grown IT company.

Also, I can say from experience, nearer to where you are now, New Haven is a REALLY cool city to work in. So much to do/eat/see. It has a growing tech scene as well.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
In Stamford, Kayak.com, Indeed, Gartner, Pitney Bowes, are just a few companies to look at. A handy list here: https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/st..._IC1148355.htm

Check out Norwalk too. Priceline is based there, as well as Datto, which is a large CT-grown IT company.

Also, I can say from experience, nearer to where you are now, New Haven is a REALLY cool city to work in. So much to do/eat/see. It has a growing tech scene as well.
This great information, thank you! Yes, the job I work for in Wethersfield is a business partner with Datto. Their services are excellent.

Old 02-26-2019, 02:01 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
Quote:

That Kayak office is really intriguing, I used to pass by it before my friend moved out of Stamford. Made me want to work there for some reason haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: