Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2019, 11:22 AM

2 posts, read 1,505 times

Advertisements

I am applying for building of 229 Cherry Street. Luckily I was selected from the lottery. I did interview on Nov 2018, but property manager did my household’s income is over the guideline post. Actually, our income is completely met the line. I did appeal again and again with 229. (They calculated our income in different ways and came out different income in three times) In the final email 229 asked me to do appeal with HPD not them.
Then we collated all documents and sent to HPD. In ten days (Feb 1sth 2019), HPD responded with a letter and did calculation method how to calculate our income, everything looks acceptable but in the last step of combined income, they made mistake during the part of adding all numbers together. I immediately responded with this email and corrected the mistake. Until today, we are waiting for 26 days, no any responses from HPD, I tried to call HPD this morning, someone who answered phone told me HPD gave me a response on Feb 1st, it’s a terminal letter, it looks our case is over, I can do nothing with any appeal. They may ignore the email I sent to correct their calculation. They never review my case anymore.
About my case, anyone has same experience as me? Please give me some advice what should I do next?
Attached Thumbnails
Housing Lottery .HPD made mistake on income...-_20190227132056.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 02:43 PM

4,769 posts, read 6,558,555 times
Wow, this is really bad. How did they add up those two numbers and get that result? Someone needs to go back to grammar school, or learn how to use a calculator.

If I were you, I would go to my local representative in the City Council. Of course it depends on how competent that person is, but fingers crossed you have a decent one. Most of them have a local liaison who handles matters like this. Plus, they tend to know how the city works. Give that a try. Start with calling the office and asking for help. Emphasize that a mistake was made by HPD and that you were treated unfairly, and that you really need affordable housing that has been denied to you.

Perhaps the city councilperson can call or write HPD on your behalf.

If that fails, there are also "ambassadors" who might come in handy. I have no experience with them. Maybe another poster can help out with that info.

Get right on this! And best of luck!

Old 02-27-2019, 02:47 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,726,308 times
Are you sure there weren't any other sources of income involved? E.g., imputed income from assets. Though how that would add up to ~$6K is beyond me.

This is just so blatant that I think you'd be justified in going to your councilperson. I would be very explicit that it's a simple math error, not some question of judgment about what counts as income or whatever. They probably won't want to get involved in policy disputes but a straight-up math screwup can be determined objectively.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:30 PM

4,769 posts, read 6,558,555 times
^^^^^ Yes, exactly! And a simple math error that HPD is choosing to ignore, apparently.

Your City Council person is there to assist you. Mine has been involved in all sorts of things. (There's a lot happening in my area; I live near the L train.) But I've asked for help with even things like getting a local street repaved and a subway escalator fixed. Don't hesitate to reach out.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:21 PM

87 posts, read 118,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhy123123 View Post
I am applying for building of 229 Cherry Street. Luckily I was selected from the lottery. I did interview on Nov 2018, but property manager did my household’s income is over the guideline post. Actually, our income is completely met the line. I did appeal again and again with 229. (They calculated our income in different ways and came out different income in three times) In the final email 229 asked me to do appeal with HPD not them.
Then we collated all documents and sent to HPD. In ten days (Feb 1sth 2019), HPD responded with a letter and did calculation method how to calculate our income, everything looks acceptable but in the last step of combined income, they made mistake during the part of adding all numbers together. I immediately responded with this email and corrected the mistake. Until today, we are waiting for 26 days, no any responses from HPD, I tried to call HPD this morning, someone who answered phone told me HPD gave me a response on Feb 1st, it’s a terminal letter, it looks our case is over, I can do nothing with any appeal. They may ignore the email I sent to correct their calculation. They never review my case anymore.
About my case, anyone has same experience as me? Please give me some advice what should I do next?
I may be totally wrong, but they are most likely adding some additional income reported on your tax return.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:59 AM

65 posts, read 101,998 times
Hey JHY - Did you appeal again?
That is rough!!!
Hope they may have corrected the error!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City