U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which suburban area of NYC would you consider if you didn't want to live in NYC for whatever reason?
NE Jersey: Hudson, Bergen, Passaic, Essex, Union, Somerset, Middlesex, & Monmouth County 10 30.30%
Hudson Valley: Rockland & Westchester County 19 57.58%
Long Island: Nassau & Suffolk County 6 18.18%
SW Connecticut: Fairfield & New Haven County 2 6.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 10:11 AM

428 posts, read 132,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosenza View Post
Unlike most others who flock sourh upon retirement, I'm headed north...way north. Maine sounds ideal.
We looked a Portland ME this fall. We stayed on Peaks Island in an Airbnb. It was as close to paradise as I've ever been! Evidentially, Peaks Island winter's are about the same as NYC's. Portland has a real airport and Amtrak has a train to Boston with connections to the Northeast corridor. There is a lot to love!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 11:54 AM

1,814 posts, read 1,196,867 times
I really like the towns along the Hudson River/Harlem line. Places like Cold Spring and Beacon. But I enjoy the woods and hiking. There is a lot of it up there and easy access to the city via Metro North.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:56 AM

10,265 posts, read 8,116,741 times
I'm sure Westchester is a very nice place to live for millionaires.

Old Yesterday, 08:35 AM

428 posts, read 132,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I really like the towns along the Hudson River/Harlem line. Places like Cold Spring and Beacon. But I enjoy the woods and hiking. There is a lot of it up there and easy access to the city via Metro North.
I like Cold Spring and Beacon during the off-seasons. We went to Beacon last month. It was very pleasant. During the nicer weather, walking and driving is slow and parking is impossible. Same for Cold Spring which has nice restaurants with long lines in spring, summer and fall.

I can't imagine living near the main streets in those towns. The great thing about Cold Spring and Beacon is metro north commutation. The worse thing about Cold Springs and Beacon is the teeming hordes of NYers coming up on metro north.

Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,441,651 times
Hudson Valley 100%. I grew up in Westchester and never really appreciated the beauty and serenity (lol!) of Westchester and the Hudson Valley until now. Lots of good restaurants, hiking, boating, shops, B&Bs, etc. I’m rediscovering a lot of the towns that I likely visited when I was younger due to soccer tournaments and games that were played throughout the county. I’ve also started following lots of Hudson Valley pages on Instagram. The area is so beautiful- assuming one enjoys the outdoors and nature and the whole “farm to table” scene which there is a lot of in the area.

I’m also remembering some of the amazing homes. We had this family friend that live on this incredible farm estate in Peekskill. It was this restored farm house from the 1800s set on several secluded acres with a barn, that was renovated into a guest house, an apple orchard, and a fishing/swimming creek. I recently tracked down the home online. My adult self was curious about how much a place like that costs today. The shocker is that it’s “only” $550K.

I was also in Beacon recently and it’s an adorable town with a decent night life (relatively speaking) due to its art scene. I was also in Hudson NY not too long ago which is also nice but not on the metro north although Amtrak goes there or it’s a 2 hr drive. Both towns get a lot of nyc tourists and are dealing with “gentrification” from an increased number of NYC transplants moving to those towns.

Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM

643 posts, read 267,237 times
I love being near water. So for me it’s LI (Gold Coast) or CT or bust. If I were rich of course.

Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM

18,898 posts, read 33,735,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Hudson Valley 100%. I grew up in Westchester and never really appreciated the beauty and serenity (lol!) of Westchester and the Hudson Valley until now. Lots of good restaurants, hiking, boating, shops, B&Bs, etc. Iím rediscovering a lot of the towns that I likely visited when I was younger due to soccer tournaments and games that were played throughout the county. Iíve also started following lots of Hudson Valley pages on Instagram. The area is so beautiful- assuming one enjoys the outdoors and nature and the whole ďfarm to tableĒ scene which there is a lot of in the area.

Iím also remembering some of the amazing homes. We had this family friend that live on this incredible farm estate in Peekskill. It was this restored farm house from the 1800s set on several secluded acres with a barn, that was renovated into a guest house, an apple orchard, and a fishing/swimming creek. I recently tracked down the home online. My adult self was curious about how much a place like that costs today. The shocker is that itís ďonlyĒ $550K.

I was also in Beacon recently and itís an adorable town with a decent night life (relatively speaking) due to its art scene. I was also in Hudson NY not too long ago which is also nice but not on the metro north although Amtrak goes there or itís a 2 hr drive. Both towns get a lot of nyc tourists and are dealing with ďgentrificationĒ from an increased number of NYC transplants moving to those towns.
question for you jad2k - how was getting around in the winter up there? Westchester is straight SUV land, LoL

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,441,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
question for you jad2k - how was getting around in the winter up there? Westchester is straight SUV land, LoL
Honestly I donít remember it being bad. My parents had a Honda and a Cadillac ( non SUV versions). The roads were always clear and drivable. The biggest snowstorm challenges were clearing the driveway and walkway. A lot of people would hire ploughing companies to clear their driveways.

Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM

1,045 posts, read 271,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Honestly I donít remember it being bad. My parents had a Honda and a Cadillac ( non SUV versions). The roads were always clear and drivable. The biggest snowstorm challenges were clearing the driveway and walkway. A lot of people would hire ploughing companies to clear their driveways.
Even further North of Westchester isn't that bad necessarily. My friend has grandparents in the suburbs of Poughkeepsie and the only challenging thing about the winter is keeping those large driveways shoveled out.

Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM

8,419 posts, read 20,011,172 times
Bronxville. That's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or