U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which suburban area of NYC would you consider if you didn't want to live in NYC for whatever reason?
NE Jersey: Hudson, Bergen, Passaic, Essex, Union, Somerset, Middlesex, & Monmouth County 18 31.58%
Hudson Valley: Rockland & Westchester County 29 50.88%
Long Island: Nassau & Suffolk County 9 15.79%
SW Connecticut: Fairfield & New Haven County 5 8.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 03:26 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,076,917 times

Advertisements

Currently buying in Queens, BUT if I were going suburbs, it would be Westchester. Most likely because I'm very familiar with it having grown up on the border of the Bronx and Westchester, and it's still where a lot of my shopping etc happens when I go to my mom's house. That plus proximity to my mom make it the strongest choice for me.

I've spent quite a bit of time on LI, and while I'm not knocking it, it just does nothing for me.

Would probably choose Southern CT over anywhere in NJ, but it's just too far, as I'll also likely work in NYC until retirement, especially now that I am settling down and buying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 10:33 AM

327 posts, read 263,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Currently buying in Queens, BUT if I were going suburbs, it would be Westchester. Most likely because I'm very familiar with it having grown up on the border of the Bronx and Westchester, and it's still where a lot of my shopping etc happens when I go to my mom's house. That plus proximity to my mom make it the strongest choice for me.

I've spent quite a bit of time on LI, and while I'm not knocking it, it just does nothing for me.

Would probably choose Southern CT over anywhere in NJ, but it's just too far, as I'll also likely work in NYC until retirement, especially now that I am settling down and buying.

I hear ya. I'm 38, black, and single, so I still want to try and get a good feel for where's the best area to plant firm roots at, and diversity is key. I have visited some towns north of the city already. Been to Tarrytown, Port Chester, and South Norwalk - liked all of them. Still want to see about Stamford and White Plains. Options that are on the outside looking in include New Rochelle and Mamaroneck. I also do like being in Jersey (Union City/JC Heights area)...made more than a few friends here already. I'm comfortable here now, but could also look at East Rutherford, Secaucus, Cliffside Park, Clifton, and some others.

Though I'm not the biggest fan of Port Authority Terminal, I actually do like taking the bus into the city. Again, it seems like the PATH trains get more and more crowded every year, and NJ Transit is an issue by itself - not to mention that it travels into Penn Station. Also wondering about the Gateway Tunnel project and if those tunnels will actually get replaced.

It's great to work at Grand Central, I gotta admit. Best terminal in the city, and Metro-North is the superior commuter railroad out of the three we have here. Property taxes, monthly MTA train passes, commute times, etc... all come into play when making a decision like this. I'm just wondering which area is best set up now and in the future for long-term success for people like me.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:15 AM

10,338 posts, read 8,182,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
The one thing Long Island has that Westchester doesn't have is the MS-13 gang.

https://projects.newsday.com/long-is...gangs-suffolk/
My bet would be that Westchester has a higher crime rate than Long Island.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:21 AM

2,463 posts, read 3,457,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxr203 View Post
I hear ya. I'm 38, black, and single, so I still want to try and get a good feel for where's the best area to plant firm roots at, and diversity is key. I have visited some towns north of the city already. Been to Tarrytown, Port Chester, and South Norwalk - liked all of them. Still want to see about Stamford and White Plains. Options that are on the outside looking in include New Rochelle and Mamaroneck. I also do like being in Jersey (Union City/JC Heights area)...made more than a few friends here already. I'm comfortable here now, but could also look at East Rutherford, Secaucus, Cliffside Park, Clifton, and some others.

Though I'm not the biggest fan of Port Authority Terminal, I actually do like taking the bus into the city. Again, it seems like the PATH trains get more and more crowded every year, and NJ Transit is an issue by itself - not to mention that it travels into Penn Station. Also wondering about the Gateway Tunnel project and if those tunnels will actually get replaced.

It's great to work at Grand Central, I gotta admit. Best terminal in the city, and Metro-North is the superior commuter railroad out of the three we have here. Property taxes, monthly MTA train passes, commute times, etc... all come into play when making a decision like this. I'm just wondering which area is best set up now and in the future for long-term success for people like me.
Westchester is more diverse than many people assume. With the exception of a few towns, several lower and even upper Westchester towns are pretty diverse. What was even surprising to me is that much further up in the Hudson Valley you’ll find a lot of (black/white/Hispanic) diversity. I was totally shocked when I visited Hudson, NY at how diverse and intermixed the population was. It wasn’t just “black people live over here and the white people live over there” it was that they were actually intermingling. It was actually my white boyfriend that pointed it out. He noted that there were a lot of mixed couples and families across different social economic groups coexisting. We speculated that it’s becase of how the town evolved over the past century as an industrial town that required working class cooperation. Again, total speculation but that was our explanation.

Stamford and White Plains are decent options but much more of a small city feel and not like “quaint” riverside town feeling that has been described with the other Hudson Valley towns.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:36 AM

327 posts, read 263,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Westchester is more diverse than many people assume. With the exception of a few towns, several lower and even upper Westchester towns are pretty diverse. What was even surprising to me is that much further up in the Hudson Valley you’ll find a lot of (black/white/Hispanic) diversity. I was totally shocked when I visited Hudson, NY at how diverse and intermixed the population was. It wasn’t just “black people live over here and the white people live over there” it was that they were actually intermingling. It was actually my white boyfriend that pointed it out. He noted that there were a lot of mixed couples and families across different social economic groups coexisting. We speculated that it’s becase of how the town evolved over the past century as an industrial town that required working class cooperation. Again, total speculation but that was our explanation.

Stamford and White Plains are decent options but much more of a small city feel and not like “quaint” riverside town feeling that has been described with the other Hudson Valley towns.

Seems like you're happy where you're at. If I were to go even further north in Westchester, I think places like Croton-on-Hudson, Peekskill, Mt. Kisco, and Bedford Hills would work potentially. With Fairfield, it seems like its either Stamford or Norwalk.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:18 PM

2,463 posts, read 3,457,620 times
Quote:
Seems like you're happy where you're at. If I were to go even further north in Westchester, I think places like Croton-on-Hudson, Peekskill, Mt. Kisco, and Bedford Hills would work potentially. With Fairfield, it seems like its either Stamford or Norwalk.
I’m in BK and do love it but I’m admittedly getting nostalgic for the Hudson Valley. Ideal scenario at this point in time is a place in BK and a place in the Hudson Valley (like a mid week home and a weekend home) but that’s more fantasy than reality at this point.

Croton is not that diverse but beautiful. Peekskill, Mt Kisco and Bedford are beautiful and more diverse.

Old 03-07-2019, 03:36 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,076,917 times
Quote:

Would definitely recommend New Rochelle then. Close to GCT, fairly diverse, with a decent nightlife.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:08 PM

186 posts, read 136,792 times
Lmao, you all should've seen this thread when posted in the Westchester forum awhile back....

Old 03-07-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:

I'll recommend this for you. I live here and it probably has that diversity you seek. Metro-North ride into GCT is smooth ~30 mins. North end of town if you want a decent sized home, south end of town if looking for a co-op type set up. Yes, it has its issues, but give me a town here that doesn't.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
I’m actually in agreement with this belief that Westchester has more of a “real town” feel compared to LI. A lot of the Hudson Valley towns, especially the ones with a Metro North or Amtrak stop, have central villages off of the train stops with a Main Street (usually named “Main Street” lol) that houses the town’s shops, restaurants, bars, nightlife, etc. It provides a level of quaintness that I don’t assocate with LI. That’s not to knock LI but it for sure has a different feel than Westchester towns.
Sure they both have different feels, but that whole "quaint downtown" thing is a feature of any "village" in NYS. We happen to do them well.

I enjoyed a visit to the "Village of Islip" and enjoyed their small town feel, however, I will forever be partial to the Hudson Valley. 100% LI has several "walkable" villages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or