Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which suburban area of NYC would you consider if you didn't want to live in NYC for whatever reason?
NE Jersey: Hudson, Bergen, Passaic, Essex, Union, Somerset, Middlesex, & Monmouth County 20 32.26%
Hudson Valley: Rockland & Westchester County 29 46.77%
Long Island: Nassau & Suffolk County 11 17.74%
SW Connecticut: Fairfield & New Haven County 6 9.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 11:28 AM

34,093 posts, read 47,293,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Bronxville. That's it.
I hear of Bronxville all the time, that must be the top place in Westchester....some really impressive old houses I see on listings.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 11:29 AM

34,093 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Ridiculous house....prolly 10-12K a month to keep it running...

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by Yac; 11-26-2020 at 02:13 AM..

Old 03-04-2019, 04:08 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I hear of Bronxville all the time, that must be the top place in Westchester....some really impressive old houses I see on listings.
Not just the houses. The downtown area is beautiful, has EVERYTHING and is only 25 mins to GC. Downtown area also has nice big well maintained prewar apartment buildings.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:00 AM

268 posts, read 239,831 times
[quote=SeventhFloor;54583069]Ridiculous house....prolly 10-12K a month to keep it running...
/QUOTE]

That place is dirt cheap for Bronxville. And no way is the upkeep 5k a month.

If I had to buy a place tomorrow, it would be this one. Move-in condition and a great value.

Last edited by Yac; 11-26-2020 at 02:13 AM..

Old 03-04-2019, 07:22 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayona View Post
That place is dirt cheap for Bronxville. And no way is the upkeep 5k a month.

If I had to buy a place tomorrow, it would be this one. Move-in condition and a great value.
Upkeep isn’t the only big financial burden in the expensive Westchester suburbs- though things like heating, cooling, and groundskeeping bills add up, especially when you get into the estate sized homes. The property taxes are a huge eye opener for many. It’s not unusual to have $30K-$50K in property taxes.

One of the reasons why many couples don’t stay in towns like Bronxville, Scarsdale, etc for too long after their kids graduate school is there is no point in paying the high property tax if you don’t have kids in the school system. Of all my friends from high school, I can only think of one that have parents that stayed in Scarsdale long after graduation. Even then they moved from their massive estate sized home (which was this beautiful Frank Lloyd Wright type of design) to a smaller “regular” sized home becase it was much cheaper and taxes were much less- maybe $20K LOL! They may have since left Westchester all together becase their daughter/grandkids live in Miami. As far as I know most parents downsized to nice but cheaper areas of Westchester or CT or eventually moved closer to their kids/grandchildren if they moved out of the area.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:29 AM

983 posts, read 932,073 times
I've lived in upper westchester for 15 yeasr and suffolk county for 4 years (well, for college), and have cousins who live in north NJ and nassau county. I'd pick Westchester for sure. Long Island is boring as hell unless you are far east, in which case the city is too far. Most towns in Westchester feel more like real towns, whereas more of Long Island feels like some highways with houses near them and nothing actually there (again, unless you go far east). Plus in the Hudson Valley you have easy access to great hiking etc upstate.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:47 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
I've lived in upper westchester for 15 yeasr and suffolk county for 4 years (well, for college), and have cousins who live in north NJ and nassau county. I'd pick Westchester for sure. Long Island is boring as hell unless you are far east, in which case the city is too far. Most towns in Westchester feel more like real towns, whereas more of Long Island feels like some highways with houses near them and nothing actually there (again, unless you go far east). Plus in the Hudson Valley you have easy access to great hiking etc upstate.
I don't see what advantage Westchester has over Nassau in this regard. Much of Nassau was developed pre-war and is not like how you describe.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:17 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
Suffolk County. But try to go further east like Brookhaven Township where you got all the beaches, farms, and nature.
Suffolk County is a b*tch to commute from and expensive if you're going to the city like the OP.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:23 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I don't see what advantage Westchester has over Nassau in this regard. Much of Nassau was developed pre-war and is not like how you describe.
I’m actually in agreement with this belief that Westchester has more of a “real town” feel compared to LI. A lot of the Hudson Valley towns, especially the ones with a Metro North or Amtrak stop, have central villages off of the train stops with a Main Street (usually named “Main Street” lol) that houses the town’s shops, restaurants, bars, nightlife, etc. It provides a level of quaintness that I don’t assocate with LI. That’s not to knock LI but it for sure has a different feel than Westchester towns.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:27 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
I’m actually in agreement with this belief that Westchester has more of a “real town” feel compared to LI. A lot of the Hudson Valley towns, especially the ones with a Metro North or Amtrak stop, have central villages off of the train stops with a Main Street (usually named “Main Street” lol) that houses the town’s shops, restaurants, bars, nightlife, etc. It provides a level of quaintness that I don’t assocate with LI. That’s not to knock LI but it for sure has a different feel than Westchester towns.
LI has that too, at least in Nassau County (and especially in the towns developed before Levittown)

This is Rockville Centre

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6565...7i13312!8i6656

Just look at all the businesses in the area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City