Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 07:15 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
1. Gut rehab
2. 95% of posters wouldn't live in this neighborhood
3. Not within walking distance to a subway - dealbreaker for me
"Wow, can someone put more stuff in single a room. Check it out."

I probably should have titled it better. Let me fix it here. Look up at that title, then comment. Or re title the thread to what I wrote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 07:30 AM

33,995 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
"Wow, can someone put more stuff in single a room. Check it out."

I probably should have titled it better. Let me fix it here. Look up at that title, then comment. Or re title the thread to what I wrote.
???

This post is not clear to me.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-03-2019, 08:59 AM

30,611 posts, read 18,187,363 times
Quote:
Why? You do understand what is included in your maintenance right? I pay roughly $11,000 per year.

My friend told me her water bill for her home was $200 a month. The rest of the numbers are from when I was renting.

Annual expenses
Water bill = $2400
Electric bill = $2100
Gas = $360
Taxes = My building, through my maintenance paid close to $4,000 for my apartment which is smaller.

So in total, around $8,500 of my expenses that I would otherwise have to pay, was paid via my maintenance. So above and beyond those things above I pay around an extra $200 a month or roughly $2,500 a year. That $2,500 per year pays for capital improvement, every day repairs, day to day operations, salary of the staff that maintains the building, the garages, the mortgage on the building itself. (We are a rare coop that owns the land it sits on.)

This year there was a major leak above me. The pipe in the bathroom corroded. It ruined the ceiling and my wall. It had to be repaired. That meant removing a piece of the wall and ceiling to find the leak. The building hired master plumber to come to fix it. The building hired a plasterer fix the wall and ceiling. How much do you think that would have set me back if I had to pay for all of that on my own? I paid nothing for it, other than the used vacation time to sit and wait for the repairs.

I forgot to mention that 40% of what I pay toward maintenance is tax deductible. None of this includes the taxes I get back for my standard mortgage deduction.

The problem is that people don't understand what they are getting in return.
My current association fees are $750 a month (I live in Hawaii currently).

It covers water and sewage (water in Honolulu is more expensive than it is in NYC). For some people this is a huge deal (and I've heard of some families out here having average water bills north of $200 a month), but I am overpaying for water as I don't use a whole lot of it to begin with (when I actually paid specifically for water when I was a renter out here, my bill was well under $100 a month).

Cable (a "benefit," but one that I'd gladly do without as I rarely, rarely watch cable television).

24/7 building security (this is a major benefit that I am grateful for. My building's annual security expenses for personnel is around $130,000, which when divided the 170 or so units at my place, comes to an average of about $64 a month per unit . . things aren't more expensive as one of the "security" team members is the resident manager, who mans the front desk for 8 hrs during the day and who is given a free unit to live him, which cuts down on the cash salary paid to him)

Rooftop pool and recreation area (I don't personally use this area much, but it is a big selling point for my building).

Building/grounds maintenance, etc.

Reserve fund, insurance, etc.

My fees don't cover electricity, but my electricity bill is, on average, less than $50 a month, so that's not a big deal to me really.

All of this is to say that, if I was a big user of water/cable/the pool/recreation areas, my monthly fees would be more reasonable to me, but otherwise they are a bit high. It definitely isn't that high for those who benefit more from water being included in the fee. And that's at $750 a month. I couldn't justify paying higher fees than that in NYC as--like the case with my living situation in Honolulu--I'd be personally benefiting at a much lower rate than some others. But, then again, I'm more of a minimalist (nothing that I go out of my way be). Indeed, for me, let's just say that I'd pay $100 a month in water (it would never be that high for me, but let's just round up), $64 for security, and let's say $50 for grounds upkeep (I'd pay for that), I'm talking looking at paying more than more than $540 extra a month for all the rest . . . of course, others in my building get much, more benefit out of the fee.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:04 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
My current association fees are $750 a month (I live in Hawaii currently).

It covers water and sewage (water in Honolulu is more expensive than it is in NYC). For some people this is a huge deal (and I've heard of some families out here having average water bills north of $200 a month), but I am overpaying for water as I don't use a whole lot of it to begin with (when I actually paid specifically for water when I was a renter out here, my bill was well under $100 a month).

Cable (a "benefit," but one that I'd gladly do without as I rarely, rarely watch cable television).

24/7 building security (this is a major benefit that I am grateful for. My building's annual security expenses for personnel is around $130,000, which when divided the 170 or so units at my place, comes to an average of about $64 a month per unit . . things aren't more expensive as one of the "security" team members is the resident manager, who mans the front desk for 8 hrs during the day and who is given a free unit to live him, which cuts down on the cash salary paid to him)

Rooftop pool and recreation area (I don't personally use this area much, but it is a big selling point for my building).

Building/grounds maintenance, etc.

Reserve fund, insurance, etc.

My fees don't cover electricity, but my electricity bill is, on average, less than $50 a month, so that's not a big deal to me really.

All of this is to say that, if I was a big user of water/cable/the pool/recreation areas, my monthly fees would be more reasonable to me, but otherwise they are a bit high. It definitely isn't that high for those who benefit more from water being included in the fee. And that's at $750 a month. I couldn't justify paying higher fees than that in NYC as--like the case with my living situation in Honolulu--I'd be personally benefiting at a much lower rate than some others. But, then again, I'm more of a minimalist (nothing that I go out of my way be). Indeed, for me, let's just say that I'd pay $100 a month in water (it would never be that high for me, but let's just round up), $64 for security, and let's say $50 for grounds upkeep (I'd pay for that), I'm talking looking at paying more than more than $540 extra a month for all the rest . . . of course, others in my building get much, more benefit out of the fee.
Hawaii and NYC -- apples and oranges.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:11 AM

7,903 posts, read 7,873,496 times
Looks like the inside of a storage locker

Old 03-03-2019, 09:21 AM

30,611 posts, read 18,187,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Hawaii and NYC -- apples and oranges.
Less than you'd think. Utilities generally cost more in Hawaii than they do in NYC, though there are some differences. No, you don't have to run the heat, though you are running the AC more (that's the main difference in terms of things you "need" between the two states/cities), but that doesn't drastically change fees. And I am very familiar with the cost of living in NYC, including average cost of utilities vs. what I'd actually be paying for personal use.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 03-03-2019 at 09:30 AM..

Old 03-03-2019, 09:27 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,035 times
I wonder if the catch is: it’s an ”as is” sale. The curiosities of the apartment come with the sale LOL.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:29 AM

33,995 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
I wonder if the catch is: it’s an ”as is” sale. The curiosities of the apartment come with the sale LOL.
LoL, you think there's a catch? I think it's as straight up as it can get. I automatically assumed that all the stuff in the apt would be mine if I came with an all-cash offer.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-03-2019, 10:21 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
I don't think there's a catch. This is what market values are like in that building. In fact, this is probably even more than it should be listed for since a 2 bedroom just went for $95K

Old 03-03-2019, 11:23 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,298,653 times
Quote:
Why? You do understand what is included in your maintenance right? I pay roughly $11,000 per year.

My friend told me her water bill for her home was $200 a month. The rest of the numbers are from when I was renting.

Annual expenses
Water bill = $2400
Electric bill = $2100
Gas = $360
Taxes = My building, through my maintenance paid close to $4,000 for my apartment which is smaller.

So in total, around $8,500 of my expenses that I would otherwise have to pay, was paid via my maintenance. So above and beyond those things above I pay around an extra $200 a month or roughly $2,500 a year. That $2,500 per year pays for capital improvement, every day repairs, day to day operations, salary of the staff that maintains the building, the garages, the mortgage on the building itself. (We are a rare coop that owns the land it sits on.)

This year there was a major leak above me. The pipe in the bathroom corroded. It ruined the ceiling and my wall. It had to be repaired. That meant removing a piece of the wall and ceiling to find the leak. The building hired master plumber to come to fix it. The building hired a plasterer fix the wall and ceiling. How much do you think that would have set me back if I had to pay for all of that on my own? I paid nothing for it, other than the used vacation time to sit and wait for the repairs.

I forgot to mention that 40% of what I pay toward maintenance is tax deductible. None of this includes the taxes I get back for my standard mortgage deduction.

The problem is that people don't understand what they are getting in return.

I have given up on many posters. They have one million and one reasons why everything is not good enough for them. In the same breath they complain about not being able to find an affordable place to call their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: