U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-06-2019, 07:36 PM
 
2,758 posts, read 3,673,751 times
Reputation: 3182

Advertisements

https://ny.curbed.com/2019/3/6/18253...council-member
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2019, 10:13 PM
Status: "I Gotta Feelin'" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: East Tennessee and Atlanta
3,405 posts, read 8,525,440 times
Reputation: 2191
Wow, that would be an epic failure if that is derailed--15,000 created jobs potentially lost.

You have to wonder why NYC politicians seem to be pushing out/cancelling job creation. Ultimately that leads to population loss, which leads to tax revenue loss--which is actually currently happening. Yikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:06 AM
 
Location: Midtown
1,452 posts, read 854,784 times
Reputation: 1098
Are there even commitments or anchor employers for this project?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:17 AM
 
1,123 posts, read 832,986 times
Reputation: 1606
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post

You have to wonder why NYC politicians seem to be pushing out/cancelling job creation. Ultimately that leads to population loss, which leads to tax revenue loss--which is actually currently happening. Yikes.
Democratic politicians need poverty to win votes. They hate people who can survive without free gov't handouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:28 AM
 
2,758 posts, read 3,673,751 times
Reputation: 3182
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
Are there even commitments or anchor employers for this project?
That I can't say, I'd have to dig. My understanding is the property company wants to create a "maker space" similar to the Navy Yard where more small time businesses can come in and have a chance to scale and grow. People always talk up small businesses and here's a chance to create an incubator space for just that and look.

The main thrust is that the fear over gentrification has begun to spiral out of control. I don't want to see people be priced out of their homes or have communities dissipate, but at the end of the day either we want a NYC that is growing, thriving and relevant or one that is Buffalo-level "Affordable". You can't have both. Politicians need to find ways to accommodate wealthier newcomers while protecting constituents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM
 
1,082 posts, read 284,473 times
Reputation: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
That I can't say, I'd have to dig. My understanding is the property company wants to create a "maker space" similar to the Navy Yard where more small time businesses can come in and have a chance to scale and grow. People always talk up small businesses and here's a chance to create an incubator space for just that and look.

The main thrust is that the fear over gentrification has begun to spiral out of control. I don't want to see people be priced out of their homes or have communities dissipate, but at the end of the day either we want a NYC that is growing, thriving and relevant or one that is Buffalo-level "Affordable". You can't have both. Politicians need to find ways to accommodate wealthier newcomers while protecting constituents.
NYC was not even Buffalo level affordable in the 90s. There is no way that is ever going to happen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn, New York
3,573 posts, read 3,691,092 times
Reputation: 3262
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Wow, that would be an epic failure if that is derailed--15,000 created jobs potentially lost.

You have to wonder why NYC politicians seem to be pushing out/cancelling job creation.
If your main constituents are "the poor" who depend on you to expand social services for them, your main job as an elective representative is to make sure they stay poor and add and expand the poor voting base that is dependent on government handouts to survive. That will make sure you'll stay in power for a long time.
Bringing opportunities to your district is a sure way to loose your voting base in the long run. God forbid people in your district get jobs and start making $$$ and get off food stamps.

Last edited by Gantz; Yesterday at 09:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM
 
Location: New York City
7,739 posts, read 5,901,973 times
Reputation: 5463
The message is clear, NYC is officially closed for business. If you want to come here we will make it very very hard for you to do so.

Not only will this affect new business, but it will push out existing business too. Tax revenue will decline, and unfortunately we will get a double whammy when the loans for Bill and Chirlane's socialist wonderland come due
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM
 
5,021 posts, read 4,928,014 times
Reputation: 5886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
If your main constituents are "the poor" who depend on you to expand social services for them, your main job as an elective representative is to make sure they stay poor and add and expand the poor voting base that is dependent on government handouts to survive. That will make sure you'll stay in power for a long time.
Bringing opportunities to your district is a sure way to loose your voting base in the long run. God forbid people in your district get jobs and start making $$$ and get off food stamps.

You got that right.

That space was largely ignored for years. No one in the neighborhood wanted to touch it, improve upon it, do anything for the community that they were so worried about----but eventually someone/people saw some potential and Industry City just came out and expanded fast. I went there not too long ago and was completely taken aback by how many people were there. It was PACKED. They offer events that the community can go to for free on a regular basis and they actually took a huge industrial complex and made it look nice---a place where people bring their families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM
 
2,461 posts, read 3,445,192 times
Reputation: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
You got that right.

That space was largely ignored for years. No one in the neighborhood wanted to touch it, improve upon it, do anything for the community that they were so worried about----but eventually someone/people saw some potential and Industry City just came out and expanded fast. I went there not too long ago and was completely taken aback by how many people were there. It was PACKED. They offer events that the community can go to for free on a regular basis and they actually took a huge industrial complex and made it look nice---a place where people bring their families.
The space is very community oriented and family friendly. When I was there around the holidays, they had so many FREE events and lots of activities for children. There was live music, free food samples, games and crafts for kids. It was great.

Its sad that when some people see these types of developments, they see the changes as a four letter word. Im in agreement with what others have said in this threat: its as if they are fighting to keep the poor, poor. If you really cared about your poor constituents, you wouldnt be fighting against things like job creation. Youd be fighting to make sure they, and most importantly their kids, are able to compete for these types of jobs that the changes bring. Youd want to fight for services to help them better succeed in the long run. Not for services that keep them poor and complacent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top