Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 11:39 PM

1,199 posts, read 723,984 times

Advertisements

I’ve often heard things like “the smaller the waist size, the bigger the apartment” and the fact I’m fat never sat well with me, but do you feel that this is still true? My friend was 300 lbs for a long time and he lived in kew gardens which is affluent. Meanwhile one of my jobs bosses is very small and lives in a mouse hole sized place near Wall Street. I read an article called NY skinny vs Paris skinny as well about people that worked in clothing stores.

Do you think the “NyC skinny” thing is still part of the city’s culture or not. Many people I know are trying to gain weight because it seems like being heavy is more in vogue. What are your thoughts on today’s trend vis a vis that of the 90s. A lot of clothes at Xios, Fallas and Dee Dee is also undersized. Like a 34 fits like 32. What are your thoughts.

Last edited by fatsquirrel; 03-19-2019 at 11:47 PM..

Old 03-20-2019, 05:25 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
What?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-20-2019, 05:38 AM

268 posts, read 239,315 times
Of course being skinny is the ultimate marker of wealth and privilege. Kew Gardens and Fallas are hardly affluent. UES and Tribeca are the neighborhoods of the rich and famous and the women are practically non-existent. I'm a size 6 and a good 20 pounds heavier than most of the moms at my school. I also never set foot in the gym and most women of my social group go for at least an hour a day. Have you watched Billions? Margot Robbie and Damian Lewis have spot-on rich people bodies.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:37 AM

So keeping in shape is another sign of privilege now? lol

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-20-2019, 06:59 AM

483 posts, read 841,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
So keeping in shape is another sign of privilege now? lol
Some studies suggest a correlation between income and weight, i.e. lower income more likely to be obese.

I'm most perplexed by the OP's statement that many people are trying to gain weight since it's popular.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:14 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Skinny for women, muscular but ripped for men.

Only change I've noticed in the last 20 years is the increased emphasis on abs. I don't know anybody who is trying to fatten up, quite the contrary.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca215 View Post
Some studies suggest a correlation between income and weight, i.e. lower income more likely to be obese.

I'm most perplexed by the OP's statement that many people are trying to gain weight since it's popular.
I take issue with something like this being considered "privilege". Similar to "studies" which had labeled reading to your children as being "privilege".

Undertaking effective actions to put yourself or your loved one's ahead in live shouldn't carry the negative connotation of "privilege". It should be considered positive to have the drive and ambition to do what is necessary to achieve.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:13 AM

483 posts, read 841,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I take issue with something like this being considered "privilege". Similar to "studies" which had labeled reading to your children as being "privilege".

Undertaking effective actions to put yourself or your loved one's ahead in live shouldn't carry the negative connotation of "privilege". It should be considered positive to have the drive and ambition to do what is necessary to achieve.
I think the main explanation for the potential correlation between lower incomes and obesity is access to healthy food, as opposed to more convenient and less expensive junk food. It seems partly based on just the cost and partly on the whole "food desert" concept.

I have no idea (and don't really care) if that's considered privilege.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:19 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayona View Post
Of course being skinny is the ultimate marker of wealth and privilege. Kew Gardens and Fallas are hardly affluent. UES and Tribeca are the neighborhoods of the rich and famous and the women are practically non-existent. I'm a size 6 and a good 20 pounds heavier than most of the moms at my school. I also never set foot in the gym and most women of my social group go for at least an hour a day. Have you watched Billions? Margot Robbie and Damian Lewis have spot-on rich people bodies.
Like they say, you can never be too rich or too thin. Do you think it's just the gym that keeps fthose moms so thin? I remember the thread not long ago about not having time to cook. Maybe the rich in NYC are also thinner because they have more time to cook? Hard to stay super skinny eating takeout all the time.

I have a friend who's pretty well off and signs up for a meal delivery diet program if she starts to put on weight. I don't know how common that is because the food seems pretty sad and boring to me.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:29 AM

1,199 posts, read 723,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayona View Post
They just look like people that work in a corporation IMO. The show Billions is about corporate stock brokers which makes sense. Cohen collects balloon animals IRL in his Connecticut house which is awesome IMO.

How is Kew Gardens not expensive and for rich people when even the houses look like bling sometimes. I saw gold coated McMansions with Corinthian columns, hot pink marble with gold encrusted metal fences in front. White BMW parked in the front the house and the father is walking around wearing gold chains, gold rings and a neon colored suit. Junior rocking Canada Goose.

Last edited by fatsquirrel; 03-20-2019 at 08:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City