U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 05:29 PM

9 posts, read 1,558 times

Advertisements

Really considering purchasing one of those frame houses that you see around close to queens blvd on the south side between 63rd drive and the LIE. I think I can get one for the mid 8's though those houses seem like they need a lot of renovation and smallish bedrooms. We've walked around the area a bunch, seems a little crowded and mostly an immigrant neighborhood of Russian and Chinese. Are people friendly? How is it for starting a family? What are people's thoughts on the area? I know Shalimar is about to be condos. Commute seems pretty good though you're stuck with the MR. Restaurants don't seem like anything too exciting. Storefronts seem a little gritty and nothing has been done with Wiggles since it closed over 10 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 06:08 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,161,065 times
Im from the area. Its a safe area with generally friendly residents. The car traffic has gotten hectic since the malls exploded in the area and also careful driving around queens blvd....lots of cops issuing tickets, driving and parking has been hectic since the malls exploded in the area.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:57 AM

89 posts, read 36,639 times
I grew up in the area and never understood its appeal. In my view, paying $800K+ for a tiny house off 63rd is absurd. Parking is a nightmare. Noise and traffic is unbearable. Constant pollution coming from Q-Blvd. is nauseating. There's not a single tree around. Playgrounds are overcrowded. Schools are bad. I can go on and on about the negatives. Why would anyone want to live there? Especially, with small kids.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlex View Post
I grew up in the area and never understood its appeal. In my view, paying $800K+ for a tiny house off 63rd is absurd. Parking is a nightmare. Noise and traffic is unbearable. Constant pollution coming from Q-Blvd. is nauseating. There's not a single tree around. Playgrounds are overcrowded. Schools are bad. I can go on and on about the negatives. Why would anyone want to live there? Especially, with small kids.
There are trees south of Queens Blvd and since when were the schools in Rego park bad? That's news to me.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
There are trees south of Queens Blvd and since when were the schools in Rego park bad? That's news to me.
I'm not talking about individual trees, of which there are too few anyway. I'm talking about adequate green space of which there's none in the area. Where do you walk the dog? Where do you play ball with your kid? Where do you go for a run or teach your kid how to ride a bicycle? That just doesn't exist in the area in question. My kids went to Red Apple day care off 63rd. and their 'playground' was 700 sq. feet of rubberized fenced off space on the building's rooftop. One must be nuts to pay $800K+ for 40-yr old, 1,400 sq. foot house, in need of renovation, to live there.

The schools in R.Park are overcrowded and underwhelming. I've had hands-on experience with PS 139. It is terrible. Teachers are overworked and the Principle is out of touch. Indian/Chinese and Russian kids do relatively well there, in terms of test scores, solely due to value placed on education in those communities, not thanks to the school staff.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlex View Post
I'm not talking about individual trees, of which there are too few anyway. I'm talking about adequate green space of which there's none in the area. Where do you walk the dog? Where do you play ball with your kid? Where do you go for a run or teach your kid how to ride a bicycle? That just doesn't exist in the area in question. My kids went to Red Apple day care off 63rd. and their 'playground' was 700 sq. feet of rubberized fenced off space on the building's rooftop. One must be nuts to pay $800K+ for 40-yr old, 1,400 sq. foot house, in need of renovation, to live there.

The schools in R.Park are overcrowded and underwhelming. I've had hands-on experience with PS 139. It is terrible. Teachers are overworked and the Principle is out of touch. Indian/Chinese and Russian kids do relatively well there, in terms of test scores, solely due to value placed on education in those communities, not thanks to the school staff.
That's NYC houses for you for the most part. You're paying a lot for small houses with small lots and no trees. This isn't LI, Westchester or NJ. Education is always a collective effort from home, parents and the schools your kids are a part of. You cant expect As just by putting them in a good school. If you think Rego Park is overcrowded and bad, what NYC public schools would you consider average? Not many.

I bought a co OP in the area as a bachelor and would relocate to LI soon when the money is right as I have 2 young kids now. Iagree, I cant live comfortably in a small house with no greenspace in my yard and have to worry about people blocking my driveway. I'll sacrifice commuting time , higher taxes and traffic to live in a bigger house, more yard, and less congestion in nassau.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:32 PM

20,885 posts, read 27,490,192 times
Pretty ugly concrete neighborhood filled with junk stores and "the Mall."
At least you would have a Costco, but you have lost Ben's Best, a tragedy.

Not for $800K, no.

<Frame houses are firetraps.>

Old 03-08-2019, 01:12 PM

9 posts, read 1,558 times
Note these homes are more like 80-90 years old.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riotburn View Post
Note these homes are more like 80-90 years old.
Don't do it. Take your money somewhere else.

Old 03-09-2019, 05:42 AM

31,285 posts, read 32,182,265 times
It is a very convenient area but it is a bit of a walk from nice green spaces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or