U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:04 AM

20,942 posts, read 27,541,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i did a lot of work for con ed and have been to their facilities many times .. to outsiders they have no idea what is involved supplying a city like us with power and how complex and costly it can be .

i remember when we had the house in pa ppl went from 8 cents to 11 cents a kwhr ... the public was freaking out ... heck i said what a dreal .

I remember PP&L at $.02 per Kwhr. You could cheaply use an electric fence to keep the dinosaurs away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:05 AM

68,583 posts, read 69,311,204 times
no we came at .08 cents and the next year it went to 11 cents . we are out of there since 2012

Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM

7,800 posts, read 5,943,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Those bogus charges were devised to HIDE the ever increasing cost of electricity. I consider the cost of electricity as the TOTAL amount paid by a customer divided by his total Kwhr consumed, anything else is meaningless obfuscation.
It's not obfuscation, to compare power usage rates you have to separate out ONLY the kWh charges. The bogus charges you speak of are normally per kwh charges anyways so they are reflected in that number. And $/KW are capacity charges that aren't normally billed at the residential level so you don't have those.

The only impactful charge you want to lump in are the flat service charges for just having the connection to your residence. The gas service charge is insane considering most people only use 0.01 therms every month, makes it REALLY tempting to disconnect electric service and install a gas generator to make your own power at a lower cost.

Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM

68,583 posts, read 69,311,204 times
There are different classifications and rates for those with gas heat or electric heat ... electric heat users pay less for electric and more for gas . gas heat users pay less for gas and more for electric

Old Today, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
There are different classifications and rates for those with gas heat or electric heat ... electric heat users pay less for electric and more for gas . gas heat users pay less for gas and more for electric

Yes indeed,
PSE&G screwed us royally at Newport. They offered residential electrical heating rates at less than HALF of non-heating rates in 1988 so Lefrak gave us large inefficient HVAC units under each window and free cooking gas. It didn't take me long to figure out how to have the only free gas heated apartment in the complex SAFELY.
Anyhow PSE&G kept cutting the differential between electric service an electrical HEATING service to the point that when we left it was only 2%. People still there had $400+ electric bills for the coldest months this Winter for a 2 bedroom apartment.

Blake,
I like your idea of making electricity with a gas generator but for the space requirement. If you REALLY wanted to get fancy, you could even reclaim the waste heat and heat your house with it. Sounds like minimum space would be a yard or a cellar.
Separate gas meters for just a stove is cruel and unusual punishment and should be banned by the Eighth Amendment. I once, long ago had one of those $7 service charge and $.09 worth of gas, but rent control and negligible rent.
I haven't paid a gas bill since 1987...just the way I like it.

Old Today, 09:59 AM

7,800 posts, read 5,943,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I like your idea of making electricity with a gas generator but for the space requirement. If you REALLY wanted to get fancy, you could even reclaim the waste heat and heat your house with it. Sounds like minimum space would be a yard or a cellar.

Separate gas meters for just a stove is cruel and unusual punishment and should be banned by the Eighth Amendment. I once, long ago had one of those $7 service charge and $.09 worth of gas, but rent control and negligible rent.
I haven't paid a gas bill since 1987...just the way I like it.
I would cancel the gas but we're not changing stoves and besides I don't like cooking on an electric range. Obviously ConEd knows this so they kill us on it. You would definitely need a cellar and a long expensive permitting and installation process unless you risked your entire livelyhood and did it on the down low. But for new construction, I'm thinking it might actually be feasible and cost effective if you can get through the permitting

Old Today, 11:10 AM

Well, let me speak about Penn South.
They make their own electricity from gas and use the waste heat for heat and hit water. Called Cogeneration. BRILLIANT, they were the only housing on the Lower West side lit during Sandy.

I asked at a tenants' meeting if we had considered cogeneration and the Board President says, "Yes that's what are doing" meaning using gas or oil for heat.

I think I left the meeting at that point. Pearls before swine and all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or