U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 01:03 PM

237 posts, read 97,715 times

Advertisements

Got that right. I'm from Tn originally so I'd find it too similair go home, which I found boring. I can imagine there would be less to do than in TN (Nashville is the exception).

I'm not really worried about high COL since I already have lived here for around 16 months and I do manage to always savd. But the jobs for my field pay better over in Seattle than they do here and I would think Seattle isn't as expensive as NYC or LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 01:43 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,074,332 times
Good luck to you..I don't think you will regret leaving this place..I know i won't. It's a grind for sure..better quality of life in other places. I suffer from SAD too and the weather here just sucks.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:29 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,426,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
So I have decided it's probably best for me to get going outta here, but I am nervous about it. I have been in NY state now for 3 years, about half spent in upstate and a little more than half spent in NYC. When I first came into the city I was 22 and just out of an abusive relationship. I moved here all the way from my home state of TN to start over and not be around anyone who had dirt on me.

I don't regret moving here one bit. While here, I got a free LPN education, have a small savings account and got out of homelessness. But now I feel that it's time for me to leave. I've become since jaded and as of recent have turned into a snippy person, which is both frightening and saddening for me. I am usually a nice, laid back person. I went to visit Miami days ago and while there I was my old self again. I also felt I was at home. I actually wanted to stay down there and was even sad when I had to come back here. And the strange thing, things have been getting much worse since I came back.

Employment wise, it's killing me. I am pretty much over the 2 hour subway commute from the Bronx to Brooklyn given that most of my clients {I work in home health} live there. I've had several cases in a row blow up in my face and as a result work and money has not been steady. I've also had a client 'stolen' from me by another nurse on one of the cases close to home which pissed me off a bit.

There really aren't any options with me being an LPN. The nursing homes didn't work out for me and while there are hospitals hiring LPNs, I really don't think that would be a good option for me.

I've reached a breaking point now because I am facing the possibility of working with 2 different home health nursing agencies just to make ends meet. And the best part...I may be able to recover hours, but now I won't be getting overtime pay. I also have no benefits, no health insurance, no vacations time, nada. The weather is also starting to get to me as well. I've gotten a really nasty case of SAD during the winter. Going to Miami instantly fixed it.

I'm in the process of waiting for a temporary license from WA state. While I understand they also have long, grey winters, I think I'll just end up spending the winter in Florida since the visit went so well.

I am very anxious about this move but I no longer have a desire to stay here. NY feels both like home and hell to me at the same time. I am looking to be outta here by September at the latest but the way things are going, I may end up moving sometime in the summer.

I want to pay off my student loans, have my own apartment, a car and just be somewhere where people aren't obsessed about working.

Would it be possible to go to a university that has a LPN to RN program? You'd probably have a lot more opportunities that way. I would obviously do this in NY before you leave if you should consider it.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:28 PM

605 posts, read 507,971 times
I felt same way leaving Chicago to Atlanta. Dont miss Chicago one bit, but Atlanta was hard to adjust to.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:26 AM

1,075 posts, read 223,357 times
There are a number of HHA agencies in Harlem and Queens if you're looking for a shorter commute. Don't give up. Remember a LCOL area is also going to have a lower wage rate.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Would it be possible to go to a university that has a LPN to RN program? You'd probably have a lot more opportunities that way. I would obviously do this in NY before you leave if you should consider it.
Not gonna happen. After taxes I really dont have the funds to go to university. The universities here are around 50k or more a year. Community colleges are cheaper but still pricey. And one simply does not waltz into an RN program. It doesn't work that way. And I am paying off some debt too. And from what I've been hearing from people it's really hard to get into any nursing program here. That would easily be another 3 or 4 years I'd have to stay here. Im pretty content in homecare and that is largely LPNs. I don't really care about working anywhere else really. And I honestly don't have much desire to get my RN or stay in the medical field. I am using this to further a design related careet and will eventually get out.

Chicago I've heard is also losing a lot of population. I've been to Atlanta numerous times. It's nice out there.

I'm not an HHA so I can't use that. They literally have only 2 GOOD Lpn home care agencies in the city. All the other ones including those in harlem and queens have a nasty reputation. I work with a good agency but nearly all of their cases are in brooklyn. And i didnt work with them until well after i moved to Riverdale. (But it's such a nice area and close to manhattan)

Old 03-15-2019, 02:54 PM

37 posts, read 12,486 times
The place is not the problem, it's you.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:19 PM

5,214 posts, read 5,129,489 times
Quote:
Not gonna happen. After taxes I really dont have the funds to go to university. The universities here are around 50k or more a year. Community colleges are cheaper but still pricey. And one simply does not waltz into an RN program. It doesn't work that way. And I am paying off some debt too. And from what I've been hearing from people it's really hard to get into any nursing program here. That would easily be another 3 or 4 years I'd have to stay here. Im pretty content in homecare and that is largely LPNs. I don't really care about working anywhere else really. And I honestly don't have much desire to get my RN or stay in the medical field. I am using this to further a design related careet and will eventually get out.

Chicago I've heard is also losing a lot of population. I've been to Atlanta numerous times. It's nice out there.

I'm not an HHA so I can't use that. They literally have only 2 GOOD Lpn home care agencies in the city. All the other ones including those in harlem and queens have a nasty reputation. I work with a good agency but nearly all of their cases are in brooklyn. And i didnt work with them until well after i moved to Riverdale. (But it's such a nice area and close to manhattan)

Don't they have online LPN to RN bridge programs? They also have RN programs at CUNY schools that are not 50K+/year.

If you got a job at an 1199 facility, you could get a spot for an RN program and they even pay for it.

Doesn't sound like you're that interested but I think in the future, it will become more and more difficult for LPNs to get jobs.

Good luck. I think Florida will have plenty of jobs and they have been expanding health care facilities for years due to the population so you might have some choices.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:23 PM

The online programs are only if you already have your RN. So I can't do those. I think you are confusing those with Rn to BSN which there are plenty of those. And I've looked at so many colleges. For the 2 year aline I am still looking at 3 years of classes.

Truth is they can't afford to phase out the LPNs because they don't even have enough RNs. Plus, we can do a lot of the same things an RN can do for cheaper, especially if it's outside the hospital. And in nyc I have seen several hospitals hiring LPNs where they were supposedly phasing them out.

But I'm not really here to talk about that. I am not going to get hung up on education because it is very costly for a single person without outside support. I also won't be responding or continuing on this conversation about this "you should get your whole rn thing" because 1: it's giving me a headache especially when talking to someone who probably isn't even in the med field 2: the post is straying far off topic.

I merely wanted to see if it is normal to be nervous about leaving the city since I've been here in this state for 3 yewrs and just want a change.

Old 03-16-2019, 01:49 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,426,037 times
Quote:

Quote:
The online programs are only if you already have your RN. So I can't do those. I think you are confusing those with Rn to BSN which there are plenty of those. And I've looked at so many colleges. For the 2 year aline I am still looking at 3 years of classes.

Truth is they can't afford to phase out the LPNs because they don't even have enough RNs. Plus, we can do a lot of the same things an RN can do for cheaper, especially if it's outside the hospital. And in nyc I have seen several hospitals hiring LPNs where they were supposedly phasing them out.

But I'm not really here to talk about that. I am not going to get hung up on education because it is very costly for a single person without outside support. I also won't be responding or continuing on this conversation about this "you should get your whole rn thing" because 1: it's giving me a headache especially when talking to someone who probably isn't even in the med field 2: the post is straying far off topic.

I merely wanted to see if it is normal to be nervous about leaving the city since I've been here in this state for 3 yewrs and just want a change.

I understand that you can't exactly "waltz" into an RN program. I was just showing concern as I want the best for you but after reading your other comments, see that my suggestion is bothersome.

Switching the focus, you said that you like Atlanta. I believe the Southeast may be best for you due to the lower cost-of-living. My advice to you would be to first rent and then maybe buy a small house/small townhouse (since you have visited, I know that you realize our small isn't the same as NYC small lol). The Atlanta metro area isn't as cheap as it once was but you may be able to find something affordable in the suburbs (here in Atlanta the suburbs can be up to an hour away with good traffic).

Of course it's normal to be nervous. From your original post, it sounds as if you've been through a lot and your move to NYC has helped you to heal. You'd be leaving a place you associate with some sort of safety and so it wouldn't be odd for you to have doubts/fears. If you have any questions regarding Atlanta, please feel free to post in the Atlanta forum; do keep in mind that even if you're interested in an area that isn't within 15-30 minutes of Atlanta but up to an hour that this area is still considered Atlanta (not officially) and so post in Atlanta and not "Georgia" because you will get more help in the Atlanta forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or