U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 01:52 PM

3,141 posts, read 1,449,466 times

Advertisements

Of course, networking is important here as it is everywhere. The better jobs will be the private ones where you are most likely to get paid more and in cash. You can do this on the side if you can't do it full time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 08:21 PM

9,250 posts, read 9,213,955 times
Don't be nervous! It was great that you came here, and gave it a shot, and had a chance to look around. Your decisions sounds sensible, your goals sound sensible - and if things change in your life, you can always come back. And if you're lucky, you will have picked up the New Yorky kind of speed and efficiency, and that will help you in the future.

Best of luck!

Old 03-16-2019, 11:39 PM

237 posts, read 100,891 times
Well I work in private duty so I don't know if it counts? So far the places I've had jobs hired me out of need even though I didn't have any experience at the time. Granted I initially started with the staffing agencies. I'm not sure how I'm going to network for a place I've never been with no known relatives or friends living there.

Yea I agree on coming right back. At least I would know the place. Only issue is the housing market here is insane and temporary lodging like hotels and hostels are cost prohibitive. So I wanna make sure there's not a need for me to come back. Once I get all debt paid off I may revisit the idea of coming back.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:45 AM

21,452 posts, read 28,329,018 times
Miami is nice in WInter but Hellish in Summer

Old 03-18-2019, 08:03 AM

19,561 posts, read 34,647,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
The online programs are only if you already have your RN. So I can't do those. I think you are confusing those with Rn to BSN which there are plenty of those. And I've looked at so many colleges. For the 2 year aline I am still looking at 3 years of classes.

Truth is they can't afford to phase out the LPNs because they don't even have enough RNs. Plus, we can do a lot of the same things an RN can do for cheaper, especially if it's outside the hospital. And in nyc I have seen several hospitals hiring LPNs where they were supposedly phasing them out.

But I'm not really here to talk about that. I am not going to get hung up on education because it is very costly for a single person without outside support. I also won't be responding or continuing on this conversation about this "you should get your whole rn thing" because 1: it's giving me a headache especially when talking to someone who probably isn't even in the med field 2: the post is straying far off topic.

I merely wanted to see if it is normal to be nervous about leaving the city since I've been here in this state for 3 years and just want a change.
Human beings are the most resistant to change, so I would say that yes, it is normal for anybody to feel nervous about leaving a city they've lived in for a few years.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-18-2019, 04:56 PM

6,402 posts, read 5,875,409 times
You only live this life once. If you want a change...move. If you move and then are unhappy move back.
Don't be afraid or nervous to do what you want. Money comes, money goes, jobs are always to be found for the motivated who wants one. As long as you keep your self above water financially and don't go into debt the world is yours for the taking.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:01 AM

13 posts, read 3,776 times
I grew up in NYC, spent 5 years in South Florida, and moved back here 2 years ago. I was somewhat bored in South Florida and missed all the dynamic energy, diverse ethnicity and great food that NYC had to offer. Sure the subway commute might be somewhat bad, but traffic during rush hours in Florida is just as bad (not as long though). Stepping outside instantly feels like a sauna for the majority of the year.

Both cities have good sides (beaches in Miami vs Central Park in NYC), but for me the main different was that Florida felt like a place to go and die while New York City was a place to feel alive. It's not for everyone.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:25 AM

237 posts, read 100,891 times
I recall visiting Miami and while it was nice I wasn't sure if it's somewhere I could live. I do remember being a bit bored at times in spite of the warm weather, much the same feeling I got in my hometown in TN.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:44 PM

3,141 posts, read 1,449,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaose View Post
I grew up in NYC, spent 5 years in South Florida, and moved back here 2 years ago. I was somewhat bored in South Florida and missed all the dynamic energy, diverse ethnicity and great food that NYC had to offer. Sure the subway commute might be somewhat bad, but traffic during rush hours in Florida is just as bad (not as long though). Stepping outside instantly feels like a sauna for the majority of the year.

Both cities have good sides (beaches in Miami vs Central Park in NYC), but for me the main different was that Florida felt like a place to go and die while New York City was a place to feel alive. It's not for everyone.

This!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or