Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 02:59 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't call it the cheapest way; comfortable is based on the person, as is the qualitative measure of QoL. Parchester certainly has good value, but comfortable to someone could mean needing to live on Staten Island. I personally, if I were to live in the Bronx, would consider Kingsbridge, northern Kinsbridge Heights, Norwood, north Bedford Park, Pelham Parkway, Pelham Gardens, Morris Park, Riverdale and it's sub neighborhoods, Woodlawn, and maybe 161st by Yankee Stadium before I would choose Parkchester or many other neighborhoods where the 6 is the only mode of transit.

The 4, 5, and 6 are probably my least liked train lines, but the 6 especially since it's terribly terribly slow being local and crowded in my experience. If I had to live on a Metro North or LIRR stop in the city, I'd be considering the suburbs, sans Riverdale, Harlem, Grand Central, Yankee Stadium, Woodlawn, the stops that straddle the Botanical Gardens and Bronx Zoo, and maybe the Hub since there are other subway options in those areas. Riverdale because well, it's Riverdale and very nice and tranquil to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 08:20 PM

8,331 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I wouldn't call it the cheapest way; comfortable is based on the person, as is the qualitative measure of QoL. Parchester certainly has good value, but comfortable to someone could mean needing to live on Staten Island. I personally, if I were to live in the Bronx, would consider Kingsbridge, northern Kinsbridge Heights, Norwood, north Bedford Park, Pelham Parkway, Pelham Gardens, Morris Park, Riverdale and it's sub neighborhoods, Woodlawn, and maybe 161st by Yankee Stadium before I would choose Parkchester or many other neighborhoods where the 6 is the only mode of transit.

The 4, 5, and 6 are probably my least liked train lines, but the 6 especially since it's terribly terribly slow being local and crowded in my experience. If I had to live on a Metro North or LIRR stop in the city, I'd be considering the suburbs, sans Riverdale, Harlem, Grand Central, Yankee Stadium, Woodlawn, the stops that straddle the Botanical Gardens and Bronx Zoo, and maybe the Hub since there are other subway options in those areas. Riverdale because well, it's Riverdale and very nice and tranquil to me.

The OP's question, however, is not in which areas of the Bronx can a person live comfortably, but what is the cost of comfortable living in NYC. I assume that means what is the minimum cost. Riverdale is certainly not an area where one can live comfortably for the minimum cost. I am not all that convinced that living in Kingsbridge or around Yankee Stadium is super "comfortable" (crime?). With a possible exception of a rare lucky find in Pelham Parkway, other areas you mentioned are all more expensive than Parkchester. While Parkchester does not have the highest quality of life in the Bronx or in New York City, it does have the highest ratio of quality of life vs. cost of buying property (for both the Bronx and NYC in general).

Old 03-13-2019, 08:44 PM

603 posts, read 442,016 times
$100k ....anything below that is going to be various shades of uncomfortable

Old 03-13-2019, 09:41 PM

3,130 posts, read 2,724,468 times
Oh Lord, nobody cares about Parkchester!!!

Old 03-14-2019, 06:09 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Oh Lord, nobody cares about Parkchester!!!

Old 03-14-2019, 06:35 AM

8,331 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Ah yes, the usual patients have started arriving to the group therapy session, with the usual intention to turn it into a chaos and insult-fest :-). Some of you guys are maybe too young to remember a certain film with Jack Nicholson - get it on Netflix, you'll like it, it's about you!

Anyway, the OP asked a question - I provided an answer from my perspective. Hope it is useful to the OP, or anyone else interested in the same question (rather than morbidly interested only in slinging insults).

Old 03-14-2019, 09:04 AM

2,363 posts, read 1,850,107 times
OP here, wondering why this has turned into another parkchester thread ?

Old 03-14-2019, 09:32 AM

3,130 posts, read 2,724,468 times
"This is not relevant" is not an insult unless you think you are entitled to have everyone listen with fascination to your every thought.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:17 AM

965 posts, read 1,113,365 times
Did someone say... Parkchester?

On topic I feel $80,000 minimum if you aren't hell bent on Manhattan, don't have many student loans / debt. There are plenty of apartments to be had in reasonably safe neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Queens for less than $2,000. Just did a search in the Forest Hills / Kew Gardens as an example and got many hits.

Hell, do it up, grab one of those $1,500 renovated one-bedrooms in Parkchester and live like the true king that you are.

This is all assuming you are single with no kids. You'll be fine. Lots of people don't live within their means so it wouldn't matter how much these particular make since they don't live within their means either way.

I know quite a few people personally earning between $67,000 - $92,000 (single no kids, renting market rate on their own / minimal student loans / debt) and live perfectly fine. It's not a myth. Some users on this board fall within this income range and live just fine. You don't "need" over $100,000 to make it unless you want a Sex and the City lifestyle.

Fun fact. The $67,000 earner lives in Parkchester. lol

Old 03-14-2019, 10:32 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post
Did someone say... Parkchester?

On topic I feel $80,000 minimum if you aren't hell bent on Manhattan, don't have many student loans / debt. There are plenty of apartments to be had in reasonably safe neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Queens for less than $2,000. Just did a search in the Forest Hills / Kew Gardens as an example and got many hits.

Hell, do it up, grab one of those $1,500 renovated one-bedrooms in Parkchester and live like the true king that you are.

This is all assuming you are single with no kids. You'll be fine. Lots of people don't live within their means so it wouldn't matter how much these particular make since they don't live within their means either way.

I know quite a few people personally earning between $67,000 - $92,000 (single no kids, renting market rate on their own / minimal student loans / debt) and live perfectly fine. It's not a myth. Some users on this board fall within this income range and live just fine. You don't "need" over $100,000 to make it unless you want a Sex and the City lifestyle.

Fun fact. The $67,000 earner lives in Parkchester. lol
$67,000... What an odd number...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City