Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 07:38 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypothead View Post
why are you calling these people "SJWs"? regardless of their lowball offer, they have enough money to purchase large pieces of in-demand real estate for a (presumably) good cause. you might disagree with them, their funding, or even shake your head at their lowball offer but the term SJW doesn't seem to apply here

Obviously reading comprehension isn't one of your strong points:

From above linked article:

"The land trust proposed a price of $18.5 million. Of that amount, $5 million would be paid to the archdiocese upon closing. The remainder, which would use a combination of federal tax credits and state and local funding, would be paid in installments over a 20-year period.
David Brown, the church’s director of real estate, told Orselli he would get back to him.

Several months later, Orselli returned to Brown's office. In a show of support, representatives of city councilmembers Carlina Rivera and Margaret Chin, as well as the Manhattan regional representative from Governor Andrew Cuomo’s office, accompanied him.

But Brown was unmoved. The offer was insufficient, he told them. Among the sticking points was the land trust’s inability to pay upfront.

“He told me, ‘A dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow,'” Orselli recalled.
Orselli took the rejection as a sign that the church, a tax-exempt institution, was more interested in getting top dollar for its property, which has been estimated as being worth as much as $50 million."

Land trust or whatever SJWs making the offer had stugotts.

For a property with an estimated sale price of $50millon (USD), they were offering only $18millon (USD) (less than half) cash upfront. The balance to be paid in various (as yet unsecured) federal and local grants/credits or whatever. Furthermore to that they wanted a payment schedule that ran nearly two decades.

Let me ask you something. If you were selling your house with an estimated value/sale price of $850k, would you let it go for $200k now with some vague promises of the balance later from unknown and as of yet unsecured sources? Worse you'd get that money over twenty years when inflation would have eaten up a good portion of those funds.

If the answer to above is "yes"; oh please can I buy your house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 09:19 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I cannot imagine why someone would defend pedophile priests. Pedophiles, for obvious reasons considered among the LOWEST of criminals (raping defenseless children) and the church covered up this scandal.

So if the church is being sued into oblivion, that's perfectly fine. Priests are not above the law, and if anything there should be criminal penalties for church officials who knowingly hide pedophiles.

Molestation not only is physically and emotionally damaged, those priests could have given some child a STD, including HIV.

Or a girl who has reached puberty is raped by a priest, she could get pregnant.

There's absolutely no reason to inject liberal versus conservative politics into this matter. When something is wrong, it is wrong. Yes, more churches will close and more church properties will be sold but if that's what it takes to keep children safe from sexual predators then that is what is needed to be done.
I suspect the post you responded to was satirical. BTW, I fully agree with your post, and I am a Fordham grad, who will never attend a RCC church again. Count me as Disgusted by their enormous , scandalous coverup and perversions.

I am proud of both Voice of he Faithful and SNAP. I also regard Mitch Garabedian as an American hero, as well as the full staff of Spotlight in the period they exposed Law's perverts and coverup.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:13 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
The Roman Catholic Church, as repulsive as I find it, is free to sell or not sell its property.

If the governments, federal, state, and city were smart, they would start taxing the RCC at the same rate it taxes other money making institutions. Religions rake America over the coals.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:59 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
Ftw. Trying to kill of religion. ##$$$$$

Old 03-17-2019, 11:12 AM

I liked the way the English Kings did it when they needed to balance the budget: they took over monastaries and church lands.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:41 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
This selling of church properties is repulsive. What other religion gets screwed like the RCC?

This is not an isolated incidents exclusive to RCC. All the other religions do way worse than this. All boils down to not trusting adults with kids, or a man with your wife.

How many religious organizations are involved in sex trafficking, murders,corruption? Let's open the floodgates a shake em all down.

For coumo and friends to attack a religion close to home is so hypocritical. And the reason RCC will fall and be flipped.

Hey, get top dollar if you have to, always get ahead RCC. Cant blame the whole bunch over a few rotten apples.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:07 PM

This selling of church properties is repulsive. What other religion gets screwed like the RCC?

What other religion has screwed the World more than the RCC?

Old 03-17-2019, 12:41 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
to be fair. It's an ugly church. Its not in the a the style of neo gothic revival like st. Patrick's.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:41 PM

What the Hell is SWJ? Is it single Jewish Woman? Straight Jewish Woman, or Social Justice Warrior.

Acronyms are for lazy people and all they get is confusion. Spell it out kiddies.

Old 03-17-2019, 03:41 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
to be fair. It's an ugly church. Its not in the a the style of neo gothic revival like st. Patrick's.
Current building is a second church that replaced an older structure in 1970. NYC archdiocese did it on the cheap; spending about < $300k for the modernist building.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church...ity_(Manhattan)

To be fair modernist architecture was big in 1960's through 1970's; there are examples of it all over NYC such as the campus of FIT in Chelsea. Also those big neo gothic or whatever churches cost plenty to build and take ages.

In any event there are about twenty deconsecrated RC churches the archdioses likely will be shopping around if they haven't already. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/07/n...-for-sale.html

Saint Vincent de Paul in Chelsea has already been sold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City