U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 02:05 PM

3 posts, read 492 times

Advertisements

Moving to NY this summer. I'll be working in Brooklyn and my s/o will be in UES. Where should we look for housing? I was thinking East Village or Williamsburg. Are there other better options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 02:07 PM

170 posts, read 13,127 times
What town in Brooklyn are you working at? If it's not too deep in, you could stay in the Bronx because the 4 and 5 trains get you right to the main Brooklyn stations. The area 2-3 stops north of Yankee Stadium, and the area by the 2/5 train south of 174th St are good options for a Brooklyn commute.

For Brooklyn, its questionable, but a lot of people stay by Brooklyn College. You would have to take a bus to the train though.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:15 PM

2,036 posts, read 1,271,891 times
I do like the cruxes downtown, it makes cross-Manhattan travel easy particularly if you need a new job though certainly not cheap.
- Delancey-Essex St = F for 63rd St UES with M/J/Z Williamsburg + Bushwick in Brooklyn
- Union Square = Q, 4, 5, and 6 for UES with All the lines sans the 6 and W going into Brooklyn
- Fulton St = 4 and 5 for UES with the A, C, 2, 3, 4, 5 for Brooklyn
- Broadway-Lafayette = 6 for UES as well as F for 63rd st, and the entire BDFM lines for Brooklyn

I would need to know where in Brooklyn and possibly what st/ave combination in the UES as well as budget to give a valid recommendation. Brooklyn is a very big place.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:32 PM

170 posts, read 13,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I do like the cruxes downtown, it makes cross-Manhattan travel easy particularly if you need a new job though certainly not cheap.
- Delancey-Essex St = F for 63rd St UES with M/J/Z Williamsburg + Bushwick in Brooklyn
- Union Square = Q, 4, 5, and 6 for UES with All the lines sans the 6 and W going into Brooklyn
- Fulton St = 4 and 5 for UES with the A, C, 2, 3, 4, 5 for Brooklyn
- Broadway-Lafayette = 6 for UES as well as F for 63rd st, and the entire BDFM lines for Brooklyn

I would need to know where in Brooklyn and possibly what st/ave combination in the UES as well as budget to give a valid recommendation. Brooklyn is a very big place.
Are those areas even residential though? I thought they were solidly zoned for commercial. That is why I recommended the Bronx neighborhoods.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:46 PM

182 posts, read 79,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
Are those areas even residential though? I thought they were solidly zoned for commercial. That is why I recommended the Bronx neighborhoods.
There is no neighborhood in Manhattan that isn't residential.

I would pick Bway-Lafayette. That would be my nabe if I didn't have kids. Great food, interesting shops, not too sanitized.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:21 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,740,788 times
Where in Brooklyn and where in ues and what’s your budget. All answers are irrelevant without this information.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:44 AM

3 posts, read 492 times
Cornell and SUNY Downstate. ~$3500 1BR

Old 03-16-2019, 10:01 AM

21,453 posts, read 22,847,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathews023 View Post
Cornell and SUNY Downstate. ~$3500 1BR
Who’s got the crazier hours? You might want to consider living off the Q or the 5 from the UES down to Prospect-Lefferts Garden depending on your own preferences and who is more willing to take the longer commute, has closer to peak direction rush hour commute times, etc. $3500 for a 1br should be doable in a pretty wide swathe of areas with the Prospect-Lefferts Garden having probably the most room you can get for that price though its eastern stretches might not be for you. Not knowing anything else about your preferences, I’ll say I’d probably pick Prospect Heights.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:50 AM

10,490 posts, read 8,958,830 times
Medical resident?

If you're residency is at Downstate, I'd stay in Brooklyn. If you want to avoid Prospect Lefferts, I'd look up in the neighborhoods around Barclay's Center. That gives you a quick, easy ride to Downstate, and right on the lines that go to Cornell. You could go up the line into Brooklyn Heights also, but then you lose the Q train.

Old 03-16-2019, 01:11 PM

503 posts, read 748,654 times
I agree, along the Q is your best bet, followed by the 5 train. Prospect Lefferts in the vicinities of the Prospect Park Q or Sterling St. 5 have gotten pretty gentrified (historic district was always nice) without being too sanitized (yet). Otherwise maybe look in Fort Greene/Prospect Heights near the Atlantic/Barclays or 7th Ave stops. Atlantic/Barclays will give you every subway you want, pretty much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or