Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 03:44 PM

1,199 posts, read 723,984 times

Advertisements

There are some areas that people here do not recommend to transplants, and I wonder why. These areas include Brownsville, Ozone Park, Eastchester, Middle Village, University Heights, West Farms, Flatlands, Floral Park, Hollis Hills, Far Rockaway, and southern Staten Island.

Is there any reason these diverse areas are not being recommended by users? Is it because most users live in these areas and want to keep their rent from going up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 04:19 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
That's a very wide range of neighborhoods you listed. Some of them like Brownsville have serious QoL issues and others are far from employment centers.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:46 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,640,769 times
Are you talking about the ubiquitous transplant (college educated & suburban raised) or anybody?

Old 03-15-2019, 09:15 PM

432 posts, read 551,319 times
I can’t see why a transplant would have any issues in Middle Village or South Shore SI. They are solid areas with low crime, decent schools and not outrageously expensive. The only issue I could see is that they tend to be occupied by long time NY natives, so breaking into social circles may be difficult. It depends on what the transplant is looking for in a neighborhood.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:44 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edubz View Post
I can’t see why a transplant would have any issues in Middle Village or South Shore SI. They are solid areas with low crime, decent schools and not outrageously expensive. The only issue I could see is that they tend to be occupied by long time NY natives, so breaking into social circles may be difficult. It depends on what the transplant is looking for in a neighborhood.
Most people moving to NYC are seeking a more urban lifestyle.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:45 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,682,286 times
Middle Village is a beautiful middle class area. Transplants, please do not go there and raise the rents. Stay away.

Signed,

Native Queensite

Old 03-16-2019, 04:31 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
I could certainly see transplants moving to Middle Village as they start having families considering it is only a skip, hop and a jump from areas such as Ridgewood, Bushwick, Williamsburg, and Greenpoint. You can still be close to your trendy friends, while being able to send your kids to good schools at the same time. Sorry shadypinesma, but it's only a matter of time. All of the families living in Middle Village today derived from the aforementioned neighborhoods as it is, so I can't see why that would change in the future. When they are ready for that single-family standalone house, smart ones would move to Middle Village, dumb ones would move to Flatbush.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:55 AM

1,199 posts, read 723,984 times
I'm mostly talking about American born transplants from other cities. Many of these areas do get a large amount of transplants from other countries such as Jamaica, India, Mexico and Albania.

Old 03-17-2019, 03:05 AM

1 posts, read 435 times
Brownsville: high crime rate, not really welcoming to newcomers. the 3 train is okay at least.
Ozone Park: kind of remote, but it's not bad. being accessible via the A train works in its favors.
Eastchester: remote, not much there. accessible by the 5 but it takes a long time to reach, especially from anywhere that isn't Manhattan.
Middle Village: as someone else noted, it's actually a decent neighborhood. but being the last stop on the M, a train that isn't really known for being reliable prob puts a damper on it.
University Heights: not bad, but slightly higher crime rate. being accessible to the 4 though helps.
West Farms: same as univ heights, but the neighborhood feels less safe, especially at night. decent transit though (2/5).
Flatlands: very remote, no subways, poor transit options.
Floral Park: same as Flatlands, but even more remote than that. more oriented to families than transplants.
Hollis Hills: remote, poor transit options. more family oriented.
Far Rockaway: as the name implies, it's pretty far. it's at least accessible by the A train, but the neighborhood is somewhat unsafe and is especially torn down/neglected, even moreso than many other parts of the city with higher crime.

Last edited by jimbo113453; 03-17-2019 at 03:13 AM..

Old 03-17-2019, 05:07 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,859,085 times
Of all the neighborhoods listed I would guess Ozone Park (the nicer parts) to be the most transplant friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City