U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 02:49 PM

854 posts, read 390,921 times

Advertisements

Doesn't your consulting company have US offices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 03:22 PM

19,571 posts, read 12,821,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmillan View Post
First of all, I want to apologize because there must probably be similar entries, but I also think my case is quite special

I am a spanish citizen and I am currently working in Madrid as a strategy consultant for a boutique strategy consulting firm. I studied industrial engineering (top 5%) and I did my master's degree in the Netherlands in a top engineering school. In addition, I worked in the Netherlands and in Belgium (not in consulting). As you can see my profile is very international.

My girlfriend is from New York and we are planning to get married at the end of the year. I am planning to move to New York with her (she is already working in the city).

My main concern is to find a good job there as I already have a very good one in Madrid. I would like to find a job in consulting but I am also open to other opportunities, specially in finance

Another concern is the timing. It would be ideal to find something from Europe (while I am still working in Madrid), even though I am aware of how difficult that is (however, I also think that it is possible to start recruting processes from here since a lot of companies are used to doing video-conference interviews).

Do you guys think that, taking into account my studies and work experience, is possible to find a good job in New York in consulting?

What would you say is better to do?

- To make an effort from Europe and contact some firms and try to interview from here
- Just move to New York with her and start my job search once I am already settled

Another thing to mention is that I would eventually have a work permit when I get married w, but if I start contacting companies before having it, should I mention that I will have it in the near future or they just don't care about it as long as you don't have it yet?

Sorry for the long post

Hope you guys can help me

You are *NOT* going to find a job in NYC or even United States while still in Spain outside of some very usual circumstances. So just forget that idea.

If your current employer had offices in NY or any part of USA and wanted to arrange an internal transfer; that is possible. Costly and takes time, but doable.

Otherwise recruiting from overseas to fill a job in NYC much less any part of USA just too difficult, time consuming and expensive for many companies to bother.

First they would have to convince US government you (or any other foreigner) was taking a position they tried but couldn't fill with an American. That and or there is some sort of shortage which limits number of potential employees.

Old 03-17-2019, 04:58 PM

21,475 posts, read 22,855,972 times
It’s hard unless you are doing a transfer. It doesn’t hurt to start looking and get a feel for the companies that are out here that you’d like to work for, but don’t expect to actually secure a job until you’re living here. Try the former, but expect that you’ll really only get an offer while doing the latter (and after you’re married and have your papers dealt with).

Old 03-17-2019, 07:47 PM

183 posts, read 79,951 times
Please, please talk to a professional. You must know people who have moved abroad and the companies that used to make those moves. This is not the right forum for your specific career concerns.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:49 PM

4 posts, read 829 times
Thank you so much guys. I really appreciate all your answers.

I believe that everything that is being said is correct. I will not be able to find a job overseas, but it doesn't hurt to start getting a feeling of the companies that are out there.

My consulting company has offices in the US, but they are in Boston, so it wouldn't really work out if my girlfriend has to move as well. In that case, it would make more sense if she comes to Madrid, as I already have a good job secured, with excellent economic conditions. Life in Madrid is economically much easier than what it can be over there, particularly in NYC, and my salary is more than enough to support the both of us

I'd also like to particularly thank Tencent for his exhaustive answer. I will send you a private message with some specifi questions. You seem to have gone through difficult moments with your gf and your life experience will definetely be valuable to me.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:11 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,234,941 times
....don't listen to this gibberish. Foreigners find jobs in NYC all the time especially the multinational companies. Not too common, but not unheard of either.

Good paying finance jobs in NYC cut throat.

ur best bet is to join a firm in the EU that has an office in NY, then transfer. With regards to getting a work permit/ green card w.e. that is your real obstacle especially in the current political climate.

Nothing is impossible in NYC, but you are going to have to network.

Old Today, 11:18 AM

195 posts, read 18,083 times
My friend and her husband came here because her husband applied directly for a Tech job in NYC, from India, some years ago. It can be done. Btw if you stay within the confines of NYC you can not be deported.

Old Today, 02:25 PM

854 posts, read 390,921 times
That's not true. NYPD won't hold you for ICE, but if ICE picks you up themselves, it's game over.

Old Today, 02:50 PM

833 posts, read 221,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayona View Post
Please, please talk to a professional. You must know people who have moved abroad and the companies that used to make those moves. This is not the right forum for your specific career concerns.
I would follow this route not the City Data route other than fishing around for wild and unvarnished opinions.

But to answer part of your question: career wise, just about everything is more difficult in New York City.

Old Today, 02:52 PM

833 posts, read 221,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
Good paying finance jobs in NYC cut throat.

&

Nothing is impossible in NYC, but you are going to have to network.
And these 2 quotes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or