U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 1,390 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this has been posted about before, but given the changing housing costs and evolving gentrification, I'm looking to get some fresh info. I'm considering a move from Boston to take a job in Manhattan (near City Hall). I'm looking to spend about $2400 or LESS for a 1BR apartment. I'm looking to maintain the shortest subway commute as possible given this rent threshold. I'm a late 40's male looking to be in a ethnically and economically diverse neighborhood. No interest in the burbs unless it's urban/suburban like Hoboken. Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 07:26 PM

19,663 posts, read 12,896,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
I'm sure this has been posted about before, but given the changing housing costs and evolving gentrification, I'm looking to get some fresh info. I'm considering a move from Boston to take a job in Manhattan (near City Hall). I'm looking to spend about $2400 or LESS for a 1BR apartment. I'm looking to maintain the shortest subway commute as possible given this rent threshold. I'm a late 40's male looking to be in a ethnically and economically diverse neighborhood. No interest in the burbs unless it's urban/suburban like Hoboken. Thanks for any input.

By "subway" you mean any sort of train, then consider areas of New Jersey served by PATH trains that go into World Trade Center/lower Manhattan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PATH_(rail_system)

Brooklyn to City Hall is served by R, 4&5 subways directly. If willing to walk a bit there is the 2 or 3 subway at Chambers Street.

You can also take the "Q" or "N" trains and transfer to "R" that will get you to City Hall from Brooklyn

If willing to replace subway with ferry there is Staten Island. A few new developments have gone up along Bay Street area, and another is coming online (the Lighthouse project).

Old 03-18-2019, 07:38 PM

105 posts, read 59,230 times
Jersey City 15 mins walk from the Path thatíll be a quick commute for you.

Otherwise downtown Brooklyn if you pay a bit more $$

Old 03-19-2019, 07:56 AM

107 posts, read 43,270 times
Jersey City is your best bet. You should really look into that.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:26 AM

296 posts, read 37,702 times
I recommend the Staten Island area. Main problem with Journal Square and Newark is that there's the additional PATH fare and you can't loiter in other parts of NYC after work. If you want to socialize in NYC rather than NJ then SI is your place. You can also live on the 4/5 express in the Bronx - Mt Eden Avenue, or downtown Bronx near 3rd avenue and 149th.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:43 AM

11,012 posts, read 21,358,387 times
I don’t see how Staten Island allows you to stick around in Manhattan after work more than Jersey City. Where is the logic in that? Staten Island is and feels far removed from the rest of the metro area.

The PATH is only $89 per month extra fare (on top of any subway fate) for 30 day unlimited.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I don’t see how Staten Island allows you to stick around in Manhattan after work more than Jersey City. Where is the logic in that? Staten Island is and feels far removed from the rest of the metro area.

The PATH is only $89 per month extra fare (on top of any subway fate) for 30 day unlimited.
89 + 121 is a hefty price to pay, or 89 + 2.75 per ride. If you're hanging out in NYC less than 5 times a month go for it, but otherwise, it's not worth it. Staten Island's ferry is free and comes once every half hour.

It runs all night as well, and you can walk back to Stapleton or any other North Shore town from there. The rents in JC is the same as the rents in SI but it may be lower in areas that are super far from the PATH.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:03 AM

1,014 posts, read 983,747 times
Downtown Brooklyn is building up nicely, you will have accessibility to both boroughs to explore, Manhattan during the week and Brooklyn on the weekends. You will only need an unlimited metrocard to get around on the subway and you get your economic diversity I guess.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:07 AM

107 posts, read 43,270 times
You are not subject to NYC local tax in NJ.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlex View Post
You are not subject to NYC local tax in NJ.
And how much this impacts someone depends on their salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or