U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Today, 09:51 AM

81 posts, read 90,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
You know, I'm really not sure. One rule in life is never let nobody know, how much dough you hold. But I've seen a lot of bulked up dudes with spiked hair or intricate shape ups cut into their hair, wearing gold chains, driving neon colored trucks and white BMWs, throughout the city.

Their wives wear a lot of colorful clothing and large earrings. They're of all different nationalities and say that they "make bank". The shows Love and Hip Hop, and Jersey Shore, depict the upper middle class in this way. I mostly see them in more affluent areas with homeowners, such as Rego Park Queens, Staten Island, Westchester Square, Bayside Queens, Mt Vernon, and Wakefield.

There's also a real estate element among the UMC: tiny mansion-like houses filled with pink marble, gold trim and Grecian columns on the outside. Some of them also ride tiny and colorful motorcycles. In down to earth areas where there are a lot of newer immigrants I don't see them that much but they exist as an element of the population.

Also a lot of the upper middle class likes expensive beverages like Hennessy, Remy Martin and Ciroc. Remy and Hennessey as a prestige drink to indicate that you are rich, are popular among Asian guys over age 50, while Ciroc and Hennessey in cocktail form are more popular among people from a purely Americanized background including the children of immigrants. I have to admit that a cognac cocktail tastes much better than drinking it straight up like my dad does. But I'm more down to earth, and drink E&J or Christian Brothers not Henny.
Eh, what you describe is not upper or upper middle class, it is white trash with money that tries to look and act as they think upper class does. Wanna see real upper class? Walk through Upper West/East Side, Tribeca, Brooklyn Heights.

Old Today, 10:00 AM

195 posts, read 18,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandweller13 View Post
Eh, what you describe is not upper or upper middle class, it is white trash with money that tries to look and act as they think upper class does. Wanna see real upper class? Walk through Upper West/East Side, Tribeca, Brooklyn Heights.
Yes, I've been to the area by Hunter College and Baruch College. The people there just wear khakis and are old. They look like they're going to work or just tired and don't care in fact they look kinda poor and crusty. You're right the people I see are new money, now that I think of it.

It's crazy how the new money group hypercorrects their style to look more like the stereotype of a millionaire, meanwhile guys like Steve Cohen wear regular poor people clothes.

Old Today, 10:25 AM

81 posts, read 90,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
Yes, I've been to the area by Hunter College and Baruch College. The people there just wear khakis and are old. They look like they're going to work or just tired and don't care in fact they look kinda poor and crusty. You're right the people I see are new money, now that I think of it.

It's crazy how the new money group hypercorrects their style to look more like the stereotype of a millionaire, meanwhile guys like Steve Cohen wear regular poor people clothes.
They don't wear "regular poor people's clothes". It just looks that way to you because you don't know what you're looking at. They wear $2,000 hoodies like this one for example and other stuff like that. They are just not flashy because all this glitter you describe is tacky, in bad taste and screams ghetto. Further, it has nothing to do with old/new money. Stevie Chohen is new money. Your gold chain wearing homies could be owning some kind of family business like a gas station or whatever for several generation and in that sense they are not really new money (nor are they really any money compared to Stevie btw).

Old Today, 10:28 AM

904 posts, read 631,379 times
And this is the point marker where the topic exits stage left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City