U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 06:58 AM

7,659 posts, read 4,963,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I was in the MSG area and it was feeezing and i was able to quickly get a cab. Now overall i will choose uber because of the price but when walking in Manhattan cabs seem to be available a lot quicker. Again this is only in Manhattan not other areas.
Quote:
What if its 8 degrees outside while walking in Manhattan and a cab is right in front of you?
You can order a cab while indoors and just go out when it's actually there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 07:20 AM

3,347 posts, read 1,173,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
You can order a cab while indoors and just go out when it's actually there.
Never gave it any thought since they are always right there when you walk outside.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:27 AM

7,659 posts, read 4,963,469 times
Quote:
Never gave it any thought since they are always right there when you walk outside.
There is sometimes a huge line outside of MSG for a yellow cab.

If i am walking and out of the blue want to take a cab then maybe a yellow cab would be the best option but if i know ahead of time that i need or want to take a cab then Uber/Lyft/Via will be my options.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:35 AM

101 posts, read 42,836 times
I take Uber because I like to know the price beforehand, uberpool, better cars and I don't like to carry cash. Also cab drivers are rude most of the time and won't take your feedback if he is driving a different direction (usually longer) to your location. Uber, Juno then Lyft. Actually car pooling services outnumber Yellow cab in NYC as of 2015 I believe. Yellow taxi is now NYC past time. Old cars, old service.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:37 AM

5,075 posts, read 2,634,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
I wasnít a fan of Uber, until my recent travels forced me so. For those of you not aware, lga is undergoing a big transformation, hopefully for the better. But while it is ongoing, it causes a huge mess to and from lga. I used to take yellow cabs just to support those struggling drivers. Now, when you get out of the airport you have to ride a shuttle bus for 5-10 min to a designated taxi area. I did it twice and found out that i spent twice amount of time as well as $$ to get home. I have now switched to uber, which you can hop on for a ride with literally no waiting time in the parking garage at a fixed rate.I wonder who the genius was to come up with this idea to put yellow cabs in such a disadvantaged situation to worsen their situation.

How many of you have abandoned yellow cabs for the same reason?
Probably a leftover relic from before there was even Uber.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:49 AM

10,988 posts, read 21,337,393 times
Unfortunately the last few times I've used Lyft (and drivers are usually same as Uber), two of the cars have been really smelly. I don't know what to do in terms of reviewing. I have heard that if you give a bad review to the driver, they in turn can give you a bad review and you may have trouble getting rides in the future. Is this true?

I still prefer Lyft/Uber over cabs. I like knowing the price before hand. I also have had rude cab drivers in the past, and have had some that seemed to deliberately take a longer route in order to charge me more. So even with a few smelly Lyfts, I'm not going back to cabs.

I arrived at LGA last night at Jet Blue, walked outside the terminal, selected a Lyft and was picked up in 4 minutes. Can't beat that.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:53 AM

101 posts, read 42,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Unfortunately the last few times I've used Lyft (and drivers are usually same as Uber), two of the cars have been really smelly. I don't know what to do in terms of reviewing. I have heard that if you give a bad review to the driver, they in turn can give you a bad review and you may have trouble getting rides in the future. Is this true?

I still prefer Lyft/Uber over cabs. I like knowing the price before hand. I also have had rude cab drivers in the past, and have had some that seemed to deliberately take a longer route in order to charge me more. So even with a few smelly Lyfts, I'm not going back to cabs.

I arrived at LGA last night at Jet Blue, walked outside the terminal, selected a Lyft and was picked up in 4 minutes. Can't beat that.
I believe when using Uber, you are anonymous when rating. I don't know about Lyft. You should try Juno, it's a NYC only brand and is 10% cheaper than Uber/Lyft. Although it used to be better when Juno first came out before gett purchased them.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:53 AM

203 posts, read 26,010 times
For LGA I would take a bus out of 125th st or Jackson Heights. Why use a cab when there's a bus.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:56 AM

68,700 posts, read 69,408,200 times
every time i have taken a yellow cab from jfk to bayside we get caught in traffic and it runs 65 bucks , it cost 30 bucks via car service going there early morning .

Old 03-21-2019, 09:01 AM

488 posts, read 180,357 times
All they have to do is make it a law that all uber/lyft drivers can not use a parking garage to drop-off or pick up passengers. That all uber/lyft drivers must have their logo on and must be reported on the network as a violation.

Problem solved
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or