U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 05:50 AM

68,716 posts, read 69,428,439 times

Advertisements

You have people adapting to living on what they have. Whether it is living on ss or 6 figures a year people find a way. For many it may be living golden girls style or it may be a lifestyle we would not choose ourselves but most of us take what we have and back into it and make it work

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-21-2019 at 06:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 06:12 AM

3,389 posts, read 3,259,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
You have people adapting to living on what they have. Whether it is living on ss or 6 figures a year people find a way. For many it may be living golden girls style or it may be a lifestyle we would not choose ourselves but most of us take what we have and back into it and make it work

the rising cost of living in nyc does create a harsh economic/financial situation for many "native" nyers who were born to higher standards of living when they were raised but were not able to acquire the skill sets to land on jobs with pay matching the steep increases in costs. in that sense it is hard to adjust to or "back into" worse living conditions than what you had in the past, especially if you cannot see the end of it... i would lose hope in life as well.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:21 AM

68,716 posts, read 69,428,439 times
It may not be any easier elsewhere. You may just trade for reduced opportunities and lower pay. We found the poconos about a third cheaper than here But pay was half and job opportunities were very few

So each area tends to have trade offs

Old 03-21-2019, 06:26 AM

844 posts, read 226,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefturn View Post
Sanctuary Cities should not be allowed to exist, and all politicians violating their oath of office by enabling this outrage should be indicted, prosecuted and jailed.
Sending a rep your way.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
It may not be any easier elsewhere. You may just trade for reduced opportunities and lower pay.

This is what I concluded with my own research.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:32 AM

595 posts, read 179,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Anyone can "afford" to live here it just depends on their spending habits. I have friends that always cry poverty and tells me their sob stories how they have no money but in the same breath they live in a luxury apartment, have a closet full of Jordan's, and wear Supreme merchandise. Another friend on the whole oat milk craze bandwagon and $10 cups of coffee every morning when the office has an open pantry with over 10 different variations of KCup coffee/tea. Another with the mentality of every winter they "need to buy a new $300 coat". These are the same kind of insividuals that wonder why at the end of the year their savings account (if they even have one) balance stayed the same or only increased by $$$ instead of $$$$.

Affordable is subjective. We all just have to live within our means.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:53 AM

Nah I think that there is more economic pressure than just having a closet full of shoes.

It is the illegal aliens. The illegals and other programs for assisting people from **** hole countries , they are replacing our kids and grandkids. Cut right outta there.

The whole mentality that there is enough resources and opportunity to go around and take care of everybody, that is false.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:26 AM

670 posts, read 1,140,861 times
It’s affordable if you’re a rat or living on the steets

Old 03-21-2019, 07:35 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,072,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
the rising cost of living in nyc does create a harsh economic/financial situation for many "native" nyers who were born to higher standards of living when they were raised but were not able to acquire the skill sets to land on jobs with pay matching the steep increases in costs. in that sense it is hard to adjust to or "back into" worse living conditions than what you had in the past, especially if you cannot see the end of it... i would lose hope in life as well.
This is a very good explanation of the problem many Americans face. Itís the reason they are so mad at immigrants because, immigrants are much happier with much less. The thing I see is, good living breeds laziness.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:46 AM

1,677 posts, read 444,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
; rather they just concentrate on things being what they are, and enjoying living in the "Big Apple".
Works for individuals but not investors that rely on a large population of consumers with discretionary income. Baffles my mind how disconnected Wallstreet is from Main street

Quote:
It may not be any easier elsewhere. You may just trade for reduced opportunities and lower pay. We found the poconos about a third cheaper than here But pay was half and job opportunities were very few

This is why I essentially have no choice but to stay here and Duke it out in the Coliseum. It's do or die. All Florida has is burger flipping jobs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or