U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 09:03 AM

488 posts, read 180,966 times

Advertisements

Logically that is true. However NY state have tuff laws, especially protecting for its birthed citizens and veterans ( yes the same people you see on the street ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 07:11 PM

1,170 posts, read 744,562 times
Only 1/3?

Old 03-22-2019, 07:18 PM

18,952 posts, read 33,885,282 times
smh

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-23-2019, 09:05 AM

595 posts, read 179,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
This is a very good explanation of the problem many Americans face. Itís the reason they are so mad at immigrants because, immigrants are much happier with much less. The thing I see is, good living breeds laziness.
I agree with this. When you come from "nothing" anything better than your current standards is a blessing. When I first came to this country we lived on the 4th floor in a 6 story walkup building with single pane windows. A few years later we moved in to NYCHA and it was like a luxury compared to where we came from. We no longer had to manually take our garbage down stairs and around to the back of the building as there was now a trash chute right in the hallway. No more multiple trips up and down the steps after bringing home a shopping kart full of groceries as we now had an elevator so everything was done in 1 trip. Windows were now double pane so they muffled tons of noise from outside and stopped the drafts.

So when people are born into a lifestyle where they have conveniences and grow up and unable to maintain at minimum those same conveniences all of a sudden they cry poverty even though they have more luxury than others

Old 03-23-2019, 09:08 AM

18,952 posts, read 33,885,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
I agree with this. When you come from "nothing" anything better than your current standards is a blessing. When I first came to this country we lived on the 4th floor in a 6 story walkup building with single pane windows. A few years later we moved in to NYCHA and it was like a luxury compared to where we came from. We no longer had to manually take our garbage down stairs and around to the back of the building as there was now a trash chute right in the hallway. No more multiple trips up and down the steps after bringing home a shopping kart full of groceries as we now had an elevator so everything was done in 1 trip. Windows were now double pane so they muffled tons of noise from outside and stopped the drafts.

So when people are born into a lifestyle where they have conveniences and grow up and unable to maintain at minimum those same conveniences all of a sudden they cry poverty even though they have more luxury than others
This was NYCHAs original intent!!!!

People used to come to NYC, live in an SRO and have a house 10 years later

Good luck with that now

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-24-2019, 03:19 AM

23,895 posts, read 17,006,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Works for individuals but not investors that rely on a large population of consumers with discretionary income. Baffles my mind how disconnected Wallstreet is from Main street

This is why I essentially have no choice but to stay here and Duke it out in the Coliseum. It's do or die. All Florida has is burger flipping jobs
No state in the union has just burger flipping jobs. Itís your choice and right to stay in NYC if you want, but you donít have to blantantly lie.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:23 AM

23,895 posts, read 17,006,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
Nah I think that there is more economic pressure than just having a closet full of shoes.

It is the illegal aliens. The illegals and other programs for assisting people from **** hole countries , they are replacing our kids and grandkids. Cut right outta there.

The whole mentality that there is enough resources and opportunity to go around and take care of everybody, that is false.
Itís not necessarily programs. Go to Queens. You can find 50 illegals in a house or 17 in an apartment. Americans generally donít live like that. The exception is recent transplants to the city. If the city broadly enforced the occupancy laws weíd have a very different city. Of course the city doesnít have the financial resources to do so, plus who would want to give the government such broad power to inspect peopleís homes?

Old 03-24-2019, 06:29 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,237,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefturn View Post
NYC is one big S%^Thole anyway, I'm surprised more people aren't planning to leave. Sanctuary Cities should not be allowed to exist, and all politicians violating their oath of office by enabling this outrage should be indicted, prosecuted and jailed.

I'm only here helping an elderly relative in need and as soon as he dies we are outta here! Such a trashy dump this city is....
about the planing to leave par, its a paradox

you need money to relocate.

In NYC jobs pay more, but COL eats your earnings so you end up living paycheck to paycheck despite the fact your income is higher ergo no money to relocate.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:41 AM

68,726 posts, read 69,428,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
about the planing to leave par, its a paradox

you need money to relocate.

In NYC jobs pay more, but COL eats your earnings so you end up living paycheck to paycheck despite the fact your income is higher ergo no money to relocate.
depends , it is not always economy of scale except at the lower wage ranges ....

i know we could have lived on 30% less in pa when we had the house in the poconos but wages were half ..

for us housing costs were a better deal here in queens ..

here we rent an apartment in bay terrace and it is just my wife and i . all the kids are out and live fairly local ...so no one stays with us .

in pa we needed a 3000 sq ft house to hold 8 adults and 6 grand kids when we all were there ... that house was more then our rent in queens.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:48 AM

786 posts, read 994,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post

Just because they have more luxuries than others doesnít mean they should not be upset about a backsliding standard of living. We shouldnít accept working as hard or harder than generations before us just to have less. We should be outraged that weíre working more for less. How far do we let our standards slide before we admit somethings wrong?

Me personally, I do well, Iím in a better financial position than my parents were at the same point in their lives. But Iím not blind enough to think there isnít a problem with the transfer of wealth to those in the top income brackets. BTW Iíd consider anyone with a luxury apartment and designer full closets to be at the upper end of the income brackets and not the middle and low earners being priced out of areas.

Itís like being in a pot of water with the temperature slowly being turned up so you donít notice the water is boiling until itís too late. Our ability to improve our situation is slowly being eroded. We should t stand by and say well what you had before was a luxury so you should do without. With this mentality we (or our children) will eventually be working just to achieve a second or third world level of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or