Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 07:33 AM

106,236 posts, read 108,237,907 times

Advertisements

i would disagree ,,, the good paying jobs are not going to illegals .. that makes no sense .. those jobs for the most part are going to that guy delivering fast food on a bicycle in winter , or cutting grass or washing dishes for cents on the dollar ....

the reality is the labor quality here has been getting worse and worse .. so many can't pass a drug test , a back ground check , a credit report check , etc .. then they speak awful english ... we have not even gotten to their work skills and ethics yet ....

the fact is many left are just undesirable to employers or unemployable today . 2008 let companies cleanse out marginal employees ... the best of breed employees are doing just fine ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 07:44 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,605,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Could NYC ever match Detroit, when it comes to self destruction?
Hmmmm....
Is that a challenge or a rhetorical question?
That depends what the in demand skilled labor wants. Much of the cities job generated wealth comes from skilled individuals who want to live in a world class city. Major employers like Google can add another 8,000 or so jobs to NYC because the creative types and developers with in demand skills are willing to move to NYC or already live in the area.

The fall of Detroit was the opposite, the workers who supported factories could easily be moved to cheaper states and if they refused the move the employer would simply move and find new labor.

I'd say both Detroit and NYC suffered decay and population losses during the 'white flight' period but NYC recovered and Detroit... did not.

The only real threat to NYC would be a shift in where the next generation of skilled labor wants to live. If smaller cities like Nashville or Charlotte can grow and deliver world class living experiences all while keeping COL and taxes in check then expect companies like Google to abandon NY.

/IMHO of course.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:58 AM

1,121 posts, read 587,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i would disagree ,,, the good paying jobs are not going to illegals .. that makes no sense .. those jobs for the most part are going to that guy delivering fast food on a bicycle in winter , or cutting grass or washing dishes for cents on the dollar ....

the reality is the labor quality here has been getting worse and worse .. so many can't pass a drug test , a back ground check , a credit report check , etc .. then they speak awful english ... we have not even gotten to their work skills and ethics yet ....

the fact is many left are just undesirable to employers or unemployable today . 2008 let companies cleanse out marginal employees ... the best of breed employees are doing just fine ...
I like what you said here but I still believe the truth is downright sickening: USA citizens are being enslaved by illegals.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:03 AM

1,121 posts, read 587,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
That depends what the in demand skilled labor wants. Much of the cities job generated wealth comes from skilled individuals who want to live in a world class city. Major employers like Google can add another 8,000 or so jobs to NYC because the creative types and developers with in demand skills are willing to move to NYC or already live in the area.

The fall of Detroit was the opposite, the workers who supported factories could easily be moved to cheaper states and if they refused the move the employer would simply move and find new labor.

I'd say both Detroit and NYC suffered decay and population losses during the 'white flight' period but NYC recovered and Detroit... did not.

The only real threat to NYC would be a shift in where the next generation of skilled labor wants to live. If smaller cities like Nashville or Charlotte can grow and deliver world class living experiences all while keeping COL and taxes in check then expect companies like Google to abandon NY.

/IMHO of course.
What makes you think illegals can not move to Nashville or Charlotte? People are still buying into the "santuary" city illusion. Meanwhile we have illegals living here in probably every city and town in all of the USA.

The sickening policies being implemented here in NYC are just 10 years ahead of the curve. It really is a state of emergency but now the people in charge are probably illegals themselves. Look at Obama. LOL. Where the hell was that guy really born? Hawaii!!? I still sorta doubt that one.. that guy was signing our rights away after midnight while nobody was awake to even hear about it.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:14 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,986,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post

/IMHO of course.
I agree here.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:31 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,956,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but you're old and this view is a projection of your struggles to internalize mortality. I've seen it with my dad, he thinks everything is getting worse, when in reality all things being equal we are (in the US) living in the greatest times the world has ever seen for the average person.

Perhaps your dad and I, with the benefit of more experience than you have had are in a better position to judge the Empire's slow and steady fall.
Maybe when you are your dad's age, you will see things the same way given the longer perspective.

But you said that I see things getting WORSE. I would consider the inevitable fall of the U.S. Empire a blessing to the peoples of this Earth. Too bad I won't be around to see it.

Old 03-31-2019, 01:19 PM

15,801 posts, read 14,414,927 times
Do that if you really want to destroy the economy. You're an idiot if you think inequality will kill the economy in NYC. Inequality is what drives the economy in NYC, the more unequal (meaning more rich people bringing more money into the city) the better the economy gets. What happens the bottom of the spectrum is utterly irrelevent. The 2 million residents of NYC with the lowest net worth could get shipped out tomorrow, and not only wouldn't the economy not get worse, it would likely get better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
We need a 90% millionaires tax rate, that will save the city. And more subsidizing of low income and illegal immigrants, that will close the income inequality gap

Old 03-31-2019, 04:21 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,348,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Do that if you really want to destroy the economy. You're an idiot if you think inequality will kill the economy in NYC. Inequality is what drives the economy in NYC, the more unequal (meaning more rich people bringing more money into the city) the better the economy gets. What happens the bottom of the spectrum is utterly irrelevent. The 2 million residents of NYC with the lowest net worth could get shipped out tomorrow, and not only wouldn't the economy not get worse, it would likely get better.

Are you sure that poster isn't being sarcastic?

There does come a point when inequality negatively hugely affects an economy. If it gets to the point where there are only poor, who's going to help the rich get richer? The poor and middle class spend money. The very wealthy tend to save. When that spending goes down, which is 70 per cent of the economy, what's going to happen to the 1 per cent?

Old 03-31-2019, 11:51 PM

15,801 posts, read 14,414,927 times
Maybe overstated, but not sarcastic. He wants to ding the rich just for being rich.

The wealthy don't save, they invest. They're always looking for places to put their money where they can get above average returns. That fact drives a good chunk of the NYC economy. Think real estate. Think the whole startup ecosystem. Think a big part of Wall Street.

The poor especially, and increasingly the middle class are becoming increasingly irrelevant economically. Thus is technology driven, and largely inevitable and unstoppable. So banking on them is a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Are you sure that poster isn't being sarcastic?

There does come a point when inequality negatively hugely affects an economy. If it gets to the point where there are only poor, who's going to help the rich get richer? The poor and middle class spend money. The very wealthy tend to save. When that spending goes down, which is 70 per cent of the economy, what's going to happen to the 1 per cent?

Old 04-01-2019, 08:26 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,956,293 times
Anyone who can time the next market crash with any degree of precision, say within 3 months, can make a FORTUNE. I was in PUT options in 1987 and did very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City