Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 04:53 PM

313 posts, read 209,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Maybe, then again maybe not.

Have seen all sorts bust a move under or over turnstiles for subways. That and or go though gates, so don't believe easier ways to pay fares is going to make any of them stop getting free rides.

If we had a LE commissioner and borough DAs with balls the answer is simple; just start processing fare beating for the crime it is; end of story.

First under Rudy G, then Bloomberg fare beating on subways and elsewhere dropped. Once word got out your happy behind would be taken in and processed people thought twice.

This was a turn around from the previous where LE merely issued desk appearance tickets. They were widely ignored unless or until someone caught a serious case and someone ran background/arrest records search. Even then many gave fake names so it was difficult to track all of their arrests.

Talk to old school court officers about "desk appearance" courts. You'd have names being called like "Marie-Antoinette of France", or "Richard Nixon".

There isn't a show of force any longer from NYPD, they've been poncified like many LE across the nation.
I'm talking more about bus fare beating. Turnstile fare beating of course is different. Even with OMNY people will jump the turnstiles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 04:58 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,046,728 times
I do think that putting the alarms back on the exit doors in the subways will deter people from using it all the time-- and basically leaving it open constantly so the deadbeats enter in through the open door. I don't know why they got rid of the alarms. Probably station agents complained about their poor ears or something.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:20 PM

31,682 posts, read 26,589,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I do think that putting the alarms back on the exit doors in the subways will deter people from using it all the time-- and basically leaving it open constantly so the deadbeats enter in through the open door. I don't know why they got rid of the alarms. Probably station agents complained about their poor ears or something.

They've reactivated those alarms at some stations, and it doesn't make that much of a difference. People still go through them to get in or out not seemingly bothered by the sound.

Back in the day when nearly all stations had manned token booths and or maybe LE somewhere near then maybe those alarms had some deterrent. But many stations are now totally unmanned and outside of the majors (Grand Central, Times Square, etc....), and some others you really do not see much of a LE presence undercover or uniform.

Went through Time Square/Port Authority last week, and yes, there were tons of NYPD everywhere. Got to the "Q" and wasn't any to be seen. Now and then you'll see some LE standing around that station, but not that often.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:28 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,553,870 times
Sorry, I don’t buy it, not when I saw bus driver doesn’t care about passengers just hop on the bus through the rear door.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:28 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,552,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. Buses in the BX always have at least half the passengers board from the back. It may be to make sure they get on or to avoid payment but until that stops they won't be able to get the fares from everyone.
that and the MTA buses are always late which gets people late to work hence the uptick in ppl not paying. Seen countless times bus driver shows up 15-40m or an hour late, people don't pay and argument ensues.

Rich people don't pay for crap service, why they expect people in low income neighborhoods to pay?

Forgot to add, the bus in Harlem that circles around Columbia University, fun fact majority of people don't pay just walk in the back. Least that service is good, but no one is going to touch the elite preppy transplants.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:37 PM

31,682 posts, read 26,589,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
Sorry, I don’t buy it, not when I saw bus driver doesn’t care about passengers just hop on the bus through the rear door.

Get on any bus in Manhattan and just wait for it; because some time between start and end of route at least once on average it will happen.

Bus drivers are now behind that bullet proof glass and aren't going to risk their lives over fare evasion. The days of them stopping the bus and refusing to move unless fare beater pays up or gets off are done as well. Too many people get pissed about not getting where they are going than being bothered by someone not paying their fare.

Besides on some of these new longer buses if they are crowded you really cannot see what is going on back there IMHO.

Taking the M15 one day last year got a driver who had transferred over from NYPD. He said driving a bus was far easier way to make a living than LE.

Besides it isn't a bus drivers job to perform LE functions. They can stop a bus and hit the "call the police" sign button; but that is supposed to be for true life and death emergencies.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:05 PM

1,486 posts, read 977,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. Buses in the BX always have at least half the passengers board from the back. It may be to make sure they get on or to avoid payment but until that stops they won't be able to get the fares from everyone.
So much truth!!

Every morning when I don't feel like walking to the station and I take the bus this is the normal scenario:

The bus pulls up to the stop and everyone bum rushes the front to get one blocking people trying to get off. The ones in the at the back of the crowd then realize by the time they get on there wont be a seat just go through the back door and grabs all the open seats. No one bats an eyelash.

When I use to take the BX6, every morning there would be someone in a wheelchair getting on the bus. They never pay the fare when boarding. Now the ones with the walkers that doubles as a chair started to catch on to what the wheelchair people were doing and now they decided not to pay also. They would sit in the walker right by the bus stop and the bus would pull up right in front of them, they would then get on the bus first and walk right pass the farebox and grab a disabled person seat with the walker in front of them blocking the walkway for everyone else boarding after them.

I see it constantly on the BX19 by Lincoln on 149th, The BX6 by Montefiore on 161st, and on the BX2 on the Concourse by Mt. Eden.

On the SBS oh forget about it, 90% of the people just get on the back with out a ticket and ive only seen a few get busted when the bus pulls in and the undercovers step on the bus asking for tickets even though most of the people on the bus don't have a ticket because they never check everyone

Old 03-26-2019, 06:30 PM

152 posts, read 119,353 times
I'd really love to see try to do something. I have to take the Bx5 bus to/from Soundview everyday and I can tell you that people are so accustomed to getting on the bus through the back door, that they act as if they are entitled to this practice. In the past, when the Bx5 bus would pull up to the Simpson St or the Hunts Point Av bus stop, all the doors would automatically open. Well, it seems like bus drivers on the route were told not to open the rear doors, which enrages those people who want to beat the fare. I've seen them try to pry the doors open but are usually unsuccessful. Sometimes the farebeaters bang on the doors so that passengers can press the door open strips, however, that doesn't work either because the driver hasn't activated the rear doors. Whats worse, is when they are forced to have to come through the front, they board the bus all upset, cursing and muttering under their breaths.

I understand that for some, it is difficult to avoid beating the fare when you have to board a bus just to get to the train station where you would purchase/refill your metro. But I have witnessed farebeating from people who are employed.

The other day, a young girl, I could tell she was a student, got on the Bx5 bus towards Hunts Point, and pushed by my side as I was dipping my MetroCard. I spot the same girl at Simpson St train station jumping the turnstyle as well.

...something has got to give!

Let's not even talk about having to deal with all the mentally ill on the subway. I'm hoping that the Bronx Bus Redesign introduces an Express Bus Stop along Bruckner Blvd & Morrison Avenue, for the Soundview residents, so that I can avoid the Bx5 and 2 train all together.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:40 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,196,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
So much truth!!
Every morning when I don't feel like walking to the station and I take the bus this is the normal scenario:

The bus pulls up to the stop and everyone bum rushes the front to get one blocking people trying to get off. The ones in the at the back of the crowd then realize by the time they get on there wont be a seat just go through the back door and grabs all the open seats. No one bats an eyelash.

When I use to take the BX6, every morning there would be someone in a wheelchair getting on the bus. They never pay the fare when boarding. Now the ones with the walkers that doubles as a chair started to catch on to what the wheelchair people were doing and now they decided not to pay also. They would sit in the walker right by the bus stop and the bus would pull up right in front of them, they would then get on the bus first and walk right pass the farebox and grab a disabled person seat with the walker in front of them blocking the walkway for everyone else boarding after them.

I see it constantly on the BX19 by Lincoln on 149th, The BX6 by Montefiore on 161st, and on the BX2 on the Concourse by Mt. Eden.
Those are all buses I know well and see this going on
The other week the bus was packed and a bunch of people were trying to get in the front so I followed a few guys and did the back door trick as well. Wasn't trying to beat the fare, just needed to get on. But hey the MTA has screwed me numerous times with taking the fare twice instead of getting the free transfer and having to buy new cards because it won't swipe so I didn't feel bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post

On the SBS oh forget about it, 90% of the people just get on the back with out a ticket and ive only seen a few get busted when the bus pulls in and the undercovers step on the bus asking for tickets even though most of the people on the bus don't have a ticket because they never check everyone
One day I saw the police guy let a mom on without a ticket for the SBS. He said its ok, you don't have the fare you can go on. She was with her son, maybe about 10-12 years old. I guess thats all it takes, have a kid and you and them get on for free.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:04 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,046,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown07 View Post
I'd really love to see try to do something. I have to take the Bx5 bus to/from Soundview everyday and I can tell you that people are so accustomed to getting on the bus through the back door, that they act as if they are entitled to this practice. In the past, when the Bx5 bus would pull up to the Simpson St or the Hunts Point Av bus stop, all the doors would automatically open. Well, it seems like bus drivers on the route were told not to open the rear doors, which enrages those people who want to beat the fare. I've seen them try to pry the doors open but are usually unsuccessful. Sometimes the farebeaters bang on the doors so that passengers can press the door open strips, however, that doesn't work either because the driver hasn't activated the rear doors. Whats worse, is when they are forced to have to come through the front, they board the bus all upset, cursing and muttering under their breaths.

I understand that for some, it is difficult to avoid beating the fare when you have to board a bus just to get to the train station where you would purchase/refill your metro. But I have witnessed farebeating from people who are employed.

The other day, a young girl, I could tell she was a student, got on the Bx5 bus towards Hunts Point, and pushed by my side as I was dipping my MetroCard. I spot the same girl at Simpson St train station jumping the turnstyle as well.

...something has got to give!

Let's not even talk about having to deal with all the mentally ill on the subway. I'm hoping that the Bronx Bus Redesign introduces an Express Bus Stop along Bruckner Blvd & Morrison Avenue, for the Soundview residents, so that I can avoid the Bx5 and 2 train all together.
Wow! You’ve painted quite the picture. Such ugly behavior and theft of services.

I also don’t have much sympathy for people who need to refill their metro card. It doesn’t take much planning to make sure you have enough on there. I guess for people who only take buses and never use the subway it’s harder. The simple solution is to have two cards—one is a backup card that always has $10 to $20 on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City