Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2019, 07:28 PM

1,486 posts, read 974,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
The redesigned stations are a joke. The ones by me, all of the people who don't want to pay just go through the back and allow themselves through the emergency door. Because the emergency door is MAYBE four feet tall and anyone can put an arm over it, push the bar and allow themselves in no problem.

Actually, where I live, kids are some of the biggest offenders. They just get on without using a metrocard at all, so I wouldn't doubt it. When I was a kid, they NEVER let us do that and they would always give us a hard time.

The person who mentioned the wheelchairs, the people with walkers, carriages, etc. They don't pay either. And the last time a guy with a walker got on the bus I was on he started yelling to the bus driver, "She's with me! She's with me!" So that she wouldn't have to pay. Everyone is entitled to a free ride, I guess.

Yes!! I thought I was the only one who use to notice this. Whoever is with the person in the wheelchair or helping the person with the walker does not pay. They come on with the person in the chair or with the walker, strap the person in or secures a seat for them then tell the bus driver what stop they are getting off and doesn't pay. That's 2 fares.

Very soon the senior citizens who uses half price MetroCard's will start to catch on to what the people with walkers are doing and decide not to pay as well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 07:54 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,198,455 times
The MTA should just make the subways free for everyone. NYC can pass a millionaires tax to subsidize all the riders

Old 03-29-2019, 12:35 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,468,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. Buses in the BX always have at least half the passengers board from the back. It may be to make sure they get on or to avoid payment but until that stops they won't be able to get the fares from everyone.
There are many reasons to board from the back, not always because people dont want to pay. Yesterday the bus was full in front and so the driver opened the doors at the back so that people could board.

And it is fairly common to get " free rides" because the card reader isnt working. In addition if some one's card runs out of time or cash most drivers let them on, once they see an attempt to pay.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:37 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,468,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
How racist of the mayor, I'd like to see the racial makeup of who gets stopped for fare evasion, I bet it is disproportionate ly black and Hispanic

The fare evasion on LIRR is apparently not much lower and I bet that it isnt disproportionately black/Hispanic. Ditto for SI.

Some people are angry and exist in a perpetual haze of hatred.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:59 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,512,541 times
Bus farebeating use to be some mid age or old lady that claim she can't find her ticket and the bus driver just keeps driving. Occasionally a bus driver gets mad and say like that was the same story you said yesterday and the day before. I get annoyed so much when a bus driver refuses to drive until the person gets off the bus. These days, it's not just old ladies doing it. It's all kinds of age groups but usually of 1-2 racial ethnic groups that does it all the time.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:11 PM

1,486 posts, read 974,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Bus farebeating use to be some mid age or old lady that claim she can't find her ticket and the bus driver just keeps driving. Occasionally a bus driver gets mad and say like that was the same story you said yesterday and the day before. I get annoyed so much when a bus driver refuses to drive until the person gets off the bus. These days, it's not just old ladies doing it. It's all kinds of age groups but usually of 1-2 racial ethnic groups that does it all the time.
I haven't seen this is a while with the new younger drivers but when the drivers were older they would kick people off the bus or refuse to move the bus until the fare was paid. The new drivers takes it to a step further, sometimes if everyone isn't behind the while line they wont move the bus (I completely understand its a safety issue and the driver must be able to see all 4 to 6 mirrors). The young drivers will take the bus out of service making everyone get off the buss. Then bypass a few stops and put the bus back in service later down the route.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:24 PM

556 posts, read 619,684 times
We lived through this in the 1980’s. It’s just history repeating itself. Rudy Giuliani put an end to this and a lot of other crimes. I lived in the Bronx and Queens during that time. Auto break ins and thefts were rampant along with fare beating. It’s just a matter if the mayor wants to stop it!

Old 03-29-2019, 07:45 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,938,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
The fare evasion on LIRR is apparently not much lower and I bet that it isnt disproportionately black/Hispanic. Ditto for SI.

Some people are angry and exist in a perpetual haze of hatred.
Most of th. Fare beating I have seen is from black/brown folks. That's my observation. Also if I was the bus driver. I would not make a fuss about black people hopping the bus. Why? Optics and our current political climate of sjws and woke black community labeling anything racist. Imagine a black person being stopped arrested and being shot and killed for a non violent crime in thanks to a bus driver reporting and complaining about fare beaters.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:46 PM

31,634 posts, read 26,478,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Most of th. Fare beating I have seen is from black/brown folks. That's my observation. Also if I was the bus driver. I would not make a fuss about black people hopping the bus. Why? Optics and our current political climate of sjws and woke black community labeling anything racist. Imagine a black person being stopped arrested and being shot and killed for a non violent crime in thanks to a bus driver reporting and complaining about fare beaters.

Exactly. Again as noted above that is the reason acting head of MTA and others quickly threw cold water on any plans to ratchet things up against fare beating.

It also is behind why Bill de Boob, that some kind of Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Bronx district attorneys are all behind not arresting and processing fare beating.

Their reasons are all same; it some how "harms" AAs because somehow, somehow they are the ones who are always caught in large numbers farebeating. Oh they have good reasons (can't afford the fare or some such nonsense), but that is how things stand atm.

Old 03-30-2019, 12:49 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,508,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown07 View Post
I'd really love to see try to do something. I have to take the Bx5 bus to/from Soundview everyday and I can tell you that people are so accustomed to getting on the bus through the back door, that they act as if they are entitled to this practice. In the past, when the Bx5 bus would pull up to the Simpson St or the Hunts Point Av bus stop, all the doors would automatically open. Well, it seems like bus drivers on the route were told not to open the rear doors, which enrages those people who want to beat the fare. I've seen them try to pry the doors open but are usually unsuccessful. Sometimes the farebeaters bang on the doors so that passengers can press the door open strips, however, that doesn't work either because the driver hasn't activated the rear doors. Whats worse, is when they are forced to have to come through the front, they board the bus all upset, cursing and muttering under their breaths.

I understand that for some, it is difficult to avoid beating the fare when you have to board a bus just to get to the train station where you would purchase/refill your metro. But I have witnessed farebeating from people who are employed.

The other day, a young girl, I could tell she was a student, got on the Bx5 bus towards Hunts Point, and pushed by my side as I was dipping my MetroCard. I spot the same girl at Simpson St train station jumping the turnstyle as well.

...something has got to give!

Let's not even talk about having to deal with all the mentally ill on the subway. I'm hoping that the Bronx Bus Redesign introduces an Express Bus Stop along Bruckner Blvd & Morrison Avenue, for the Soundview residents, so that I can avoid the Bx5 and 2 train all together.
I was in asia for a month long vacation and I never saw shenanigans like this.
subways and buses were packed in tokyo and hk, but everything was orderly, no fare evasion.
i don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City