Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 08:48 PM

937 posts, read 743,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Glad you found the gray option. I'll have to look that up.
I highly recommend the Gray Line bus pass to bypass the need for the subway. I thought it was reasonable at $65 per ticket which included a night tour into Brooklyn and hop on hop off routes all over the city valid for three days. The guy threw in the freebie extra third day.

Just be careful not to stand up when passing under low bridges or low hanging tree limbs around Central Park! You could get decapitated or impaled by a branch if you are on the upper level! A very tall person could maybe get taken out by a stop light. For some reason, they don't really emphasize this too much and I'm surprised there haven't been terrible incidents. I did bump my head really hard getting off the bus and was dizzy for about thirty minutes.

Other than that, it is a delightful and relaxing experience and easy way to get around the hot spots in the city!

Last edited by Chloe333; 03-30-2019 at 09:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 10:20 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
I was just there for a week and took either the subway or the Grey Line hop on-hop off most of the time. I had read on forums that it's safe to take the subway at all hours of the day and night and so rode the subway back to my hotel one night after a show.

It was kinda scary actually. One mentally ill lady was giving my daughter a possessed death stare while fumbling in her purse. I was terrified she was going to pull out a knife and lunge at her or something. I looked past the woman's shoulder avoiding eye contact but really kept her in my sight the entire time ready to hurl my body in front of my daughter if needed. I'm sure it was mostly paranoia and overreaction but still I felt real fear.

A homeless guy started doing these acrobatic type movements for donations and his rear end was pulsating in a woman's face the entire time. The poor rider looked frozen too afraid to move away from him. Four guys were yelling at each other on a subway platform and it looked like it could soon escalate into a violent physical fight. I was kinda terrified a gun or knife would come out with how enraged they were becoming.

With how the homeless and mentally ill ride the subways and linger down there, I guess I was really on guard the whole time and did feel somewhat a dread that something could happen at any moment. I was surprised by how so many people depicted it as 'very safe' these days. I might just Uber around next time as the hapless tourist. I probably felt a lot more nervous not used to what New Yorkers are so used to and overreacted to everything. I don't know. It all felt a bit scary and threatening at times to me.
NYC subway is a zoo during off peak hours. During work day it's people packing trains and at night is when the unsavory people come out.

Old 03-31-2019, 10:29 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,117,555 times
Quote:
I was just there for a week and took either the subway or the Grey Line hop on-hop off most of the time. I had read on forums that it's safe to take the subway at all hours of the day and night and so rode the subway back to my hotel one night after a show.

It was kinda scary actually. One mentally ill lady was giving my daughter a possessed death stare while fumbling in her purse. I was terrified she was going to pull out a knife and lunge at her or something. I looked past the woman's shoulder avoiding eye contact but really kept her in my sight the entire time ready to hurl my body in front of my daughter if needed. I'm sure it was mostly paranoia and overreaction but still I felt real fear.

A homeless guy started doing these acrobatic type movements for donations and his rear end was pulsating in a woman's face the entire time. The poor rider looked frozen too afraid to move away from him. Four guys were yelling at each other on a subway platform and it looked like it could soon escalate into a violent physical fight. I was kinda terrified a gun or knife would come out with how enraged they were becoming.

With how the homeless and mentally ill ride the subways and linger down there, I guess I was really on guard the whole time and did feel somewhat a dread that something could happen at any moment. I was surprised by how so many people depicted it as 'very safe' these days. I might just Uber around next time as the hapless tourist. I probably felt a lot more nervous not used to what New Yorkers are so used to and overreacted to everything. I don't know. It all felt a bit scary and threatening at times to me.
I grew up in a time when you really couldn't take the subway any time and the bus, every bus, was a rolling asylum. I only really rode the subway at night in a large group that included my armed, off-duty NYPD brother. Then there was a good, long run where you could ride it at any time. So crowded (with non-criminals) that you couldn't even get a seat. That time has passed. I pity the tourists who think it's still safe to roam freely.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:35 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,054 times
Quote:
I highly recommend the Gray Line bus pass to bypass the need for the subway. I thought it was reasonable at $65 per ticket which included a night tour into Brooklyn and hop on hop off routes all over the city valid for three days. The guy threw in the freebie extra third day.

Just be careful not to stand up when passing under low bridges or low hanging tree limbs around Central Park! You could get decapitated or impaled by a branch if you are on the upper level! A very tall person could maybe get taken out by a stop light. For some reason, they don't really emphasize this too much and I'm surprised there haven't been terrible incidents. I did bump my head really hard getting off the bus and was dizzy for about thirty minutes.

Other than that, it is a delightful and relaxing experience and easy way to get around the hot spots in the city!

If I should ever stay for a short time, I'll definitely consider it. Thanks for the warning too. I am also surprised...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City