Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 05:28 AM

19,048 posts, read 13,964,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakamonogatari View Post
Judging by what's happening today? You mean soaring property values and more business investment than we've seen since the 70's? I think you might be referring to something else. Care to spell it out for us?
Lol. Someone was bound to do it eventually. Some people are just obsessed...

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 05:30 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
It seems illogical to me that driving between different parts of the same city will cost so much which is what congestion pricing will do to residents simply going between Queens and NYC on the Queensboro Bridge. This is besides the fact of the high toll (supposedly the highest in the USA) to go between Brooklyn & Staten Island on the Verrazono Bridge. Although I am in favor of improving subway service not every destination (especially outside of Manhattan) can be reached easily by public transportation.

Also I don't think anyone should be paying a 5 cents charge to get a paper bag in place of a plastic one that is banned. Will small plastic bags for fruit and vegetables still be available or are they be replaced with paper bags as well?

Old 04-01-2019, 05:42 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,491 times
Check the receipts, many grocery stores are already charging for bags period.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:02 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
It's funny because it's just not wholly true: https://www.politifact.com/new-york/...eral-treasury/

The difference between payments sent to Washington and what is received by New York isn't great as you or others seem to believe. What is more a huge part of those tax payments aren't coming from either state or local government, but simply thanks to the economic activity and tax payments from well off to wealthy households, corporations, business activity and so forth.

OTOH NYS spends more money on Medicaid than any other state in USA. Half those funds are provided by federal government. NYS/NYC also hogs up plenty of various infrastructure funding: the SAS, that very expensive rat hole under GCT (aka East Side Access), and so it goes.

As for the so called "services" you and others are moaning about, one presumes you mean those provided by the city or state of their own accord. As that is the case absent some agreement or constitutional reason federal government has nothing to do with things.

New York has been a bleeding heart liberal tax and spend state for over one hundred years. It isn't anyone else's fault that locally or in Albany they cannot keep finding revenue to pay for all the goodies doled out.
The Lexington Avenue line is overcrowded, so the SAS is needed. LIRR service to Grand Central should have happened decades ago.

Oh, there's issues to living in places with lower taxes.

For starters, old age. Too old to drive?

In low cost Southern havens, there's no public transportation. When you can no longer drive, it means you're homebound and that is basically enough ALONE to put you in a nursing home.

Can the elder afford nursing home care out of pocket? It's a huge dent out of their savings. But if they cannot, medicaid will take over and pay the remainder. But there's a price for that too. Medicaid will recoup the costs by taking the elder's HOUSE, thereby screwing over the elder's family who could have inherited that home.

Some of the right wing people here on this NYC forum just might WEEP if they actually had to live in the South.

The cheapest lowest tax places are far from every thing else. If one has a heart attack, by the time the ambulance gets you to the ER you may be DEAD (it's a huge issue in remote areas). But hey, you won't have to pay TAXES anymore.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:13 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,491 times
The south has plenty of retirement friendly communities where a car isn't needed. Many have paths for golf carts and/or provide shuttle services. If you are approaching retirement age in NYC metro and own a home you are set for life (what's left of it). The sale price of a metro area home will easily afford entry into a southern 55+ community with money leftover for medical expenses. IMHO this is one reason why retiring on middle class earnings in NYC is insane, the city would be better off promoting low-middle class retirees move south and save ourselves some land and the burden of subsidizing healthcare.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:25 AM

1,199 posts, read 725,230 times
The plastic bag thing isn't going to affect every store. Every restaurant that I go to still uses foam containers so it's not like it really worked. L1bt@rds can't guarantee penetration of their policies into the lower, sunless layers of the city planet.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:58 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
Sales tax?

Consumers pay sales tax in NY on Amazon purchases.

We also pay sales tax on non-Amazon purchases. Amazon and Uber are the main culprits as to why we need a congestion tax. Instead of getting rid of the problem, we are handing our city over to the causing unit at the expense of the middle and working class.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:30 AM

129 posts, read 79,072 times
Is it a coincidence that the congestion pricing kicks in below 61st, right below the major bridges and tunnels? I think not.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:40 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMan2k5 View Post
I'm gonna mooch like a fat cat and collect all the plastic straws and bags i can find.
Same. What are the stores going to do with all the unused plastic bag surplus?
I want them! Give them to me! I use them to line my trash bins. They're the perfect size!
Particularly the ones you get at H-mart or Target.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:54 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Mansion tax sound DELIGHTFUL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City