Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 07:48 AM

2,730 posts, read 6,104,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
NYC is an expensive and challenging place to live why should employees be hobbled with the archaic requirement that they live in the city? If you worked in an unfavorable location would you want your job to require residency in the community?
Because NYPD and FDNY are required to report in during an emergency, and they can't do that if they're stuck in bridge and tunnel traffic. With great benefits comes great responsibility. And residency requirements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 07:59 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,199,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Because NYPD and FDNY are required to report in during an emergency, and they can't do that if they're stuck in bridge and tunnel traffic. With great benefits comes great responsibility. And residency requirements.
Another one who has no idea how things work. It never ceases to amaze me.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:22 AM

19,145 posts, read 16,970,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
There isn't a residency requirement, you could be living in Queens and stuck in bridge and tunnel traffic if your station assignment is outside that boro. or do you expect them to move every time their assignment changes?

I guess all the teachers and other public officials will be relocating back into the city too because of the great benefits they receive...

Old 04-06-2019, 11:57 AM

17,876 posts, read 15,837,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitySshark View Post
The FDNY does more than put out fires also the pay has to be competitive ir people wouldn't want to do it here they would go elsewhere.Alot of city workers don't actually live in NYC and I think that's an issue.
They can cut workers while still keeping the pay the same for the remaining workers, or at least it will help with keep the pay for remaining workers as high as possible since there are less people to pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Another one who has no idea how things work. It never ceases to amaze me.
Care the give the explanation instead of just your emotions?

Old 04-06-2019, 07:09 PM

16,018 posts, read 6,766,724 times
................ nobody is safe from a belt tightening economy.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Care the give the explanation instead of just your emotions?

Sure. In response to this:

Quote:
NYC is an expensive and challenging place to live why should employees be hobbled with the archaic requirement that they live in the city? If you worked in an unfavorable location would you want your job to require residency in the community?

You said this:

Quote:

It appears that you’re under some impression that first responders in this city monitor a scanner while at home and respond in to emergencies as they come in. These are not volunteer agencies and that’s not how it works. You show up for your tour in whatever company (or precinct for pd) you’re assigned to well before it actually begins, put on your uniform, and proceed to respond in your given response area. Nobody is responding into a call in flushing from Ossining, NY. Get your sh1t together, man...

Old 04-08-2019, 10:54 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,837,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Sure. In response to this:

You said this:

It appears that you’re under some impression that first responders in this city monitor a scanner while at home and respond in to emergencies as they come in. These are not volunteer agencies and that’s not how it works. You show up for your tour in whatever company (or precinct for pd) you’re assigned to well before it actually begins, put on your uniform, and proceed to respond in your given response area. Nobody is responding into a call in flushing from Ossining, NY. Get your sh1t together, man...
I did not type those. That is different poster.

Old 04-09-2019, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I did not type those. That is different poster.
You are correct and I apologize for attributing a specific quote to you that you did not type. I confused you with a different misinformed poster due to your misinformed post on the first page. That was for Irish Eyes I suppose. Although you were the one who asked me explain it. So there ya go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: