Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 11:19 AM

1,121 posts, read 590,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
Oxy is more common in the burbs I think. Out of the people I know who ODed or otherwise had problems with opioids (a ton of people in my generation) it's about 6 of one half dozen of the other. Actually my ex friend's dad did heroin in a manhattan park in the past, frequently.
It's out in staten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 11:30 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
How can a kid born and raised in NYC know what an exit on a highway is if their parents don't drive? I didn't make a close friend who drove until I was well into my 20s. I really want to be born into a suburban area in my next incarnation. I mean it. At least I wasn't raised religious, that would've been super chitty.

Moving to another place as an adult really isn't the same. The only reason I don't sound illiterate or have a foreign accent is because I fastidiously copied the way Midwestern newscasters spoke.
That makes no sense. You could say the same thing about anything that is rural vs suburb vs city. And in reverse. A long time ago I remember my friend had a bunch of friends come to the city and they all didn't know what they were doing and they bought these horrible fake IDs and the first time they tried to use them the guy laughed, told them they were fake and handed them back.

How does a kid from a town of five hundred know what a subway or a public transit bus is if they've never seen one in real life? Will they know how to use it? Can a city kid move upstate and learn how to use a mower?

Old 04-05-2019, 11:32 AM

1,199 posts, read 723,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
It's out in staten.
It also heavily affects brooklyn.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:17 PM

1,560 posts, read 901,971 times
Quote:
Practically everybody thinks that everybody who lives in Manhattan is gangbusters wealthy, lives a famous lifestyle, and flaunts old money everywhere, like in the movies or something. Many people born and raised in Manhattan live Uptown and they are more or less on the poor spectrum.
Most of the people I grew up with in Lower Manhattan (West Side) were on the poor spectrum. The rich kids were there but they just didn't factor in, they were invisible. We were the ones hanging out in the street or in the park. Who knows where they were, but we never saw them.

Oh, and most of us turned out just fine too.

Old 04-06-2019, 12:48 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,682,286 times
Quote:
How can a kid born and raised in NYC know what an exit on a highway is if their parents don't drive? I didn't make a close friend who drove until I was well into my 20s. I really want to be born into a suburban area in my next incarnation. I mean it. At least I wasn't raised religious, that would've been super chitty.

Moving to another place as an adult really isn't the same. The only reason I don't sound illiterate or have a foreign accent is because I fastidiously copied the way Midwestern newscasters spoke.
Dude.

You'd never been on a bus? Literally, express buses go on the highway. There are exits. Hell, there are exits even on regular, local buses where I live in Queens.

You'd never ever been out of state? Or hell, watched television? lol

And what is that ridiculousness about sounding illiterate or having a foreign accent? Rofl, every single person I am close friends with in NY is a native English speaker. I think you just grew up with some very maladjusted people. This one is a head scratcher, really.

Old 04-06-2019, 02:48 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Practically everybody thinks that everybody who lives in Manhattan is gangbusters wealthy, lives a famous lifestyle, and flaunts old money everywhere, like in the movies or something. Many people born and raised in Manhattan live Uptown and they are more or less on the poor spectrum.
A lot of poor people in the Lower East Side too. UWS has lots of projects and other government housing. Chelsea too has projects.

Old 04-06-2019, 02:51 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:

Why is knowing what an exit is on a highway important anyway? If the kids decide to drive it move to where they have to drive it it’s not rocket science to learn or figure out.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:27 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
That and or somehow kids are deprived or something if they grow up in the city, again as I did then am calling BS.
Last week around 4PM was walking up Second Avenue and passed San Mateo on 81st.
(great spot btw; sanmatteonyc | Pizzeria e Cucina)
From the street could see a few tables were occupied by middle school aged guys hanging out and seem to be having their after school snack. Stopped and watched for a bit as these young men handled themselves as if they were at their ease.
They requested, received menus, placed their orders, and otherwise behaved like any other adult would in a restaurant. When I passed by again about an hour later on way home all were happily yakking it up and enjoying their meal/drinks.
Passed a few more spots (Starbucks, Pinkberry, 16 Handles, etc...) and it was lather, rinse and repeat.
This confirms what I've always suspected; kids who grow up in the city are not only well adjusted but gain skills they might not otherwise.
Cannot tell you how many middle school or even maybe fifth graders I see navigating their way to and from school via the SAS either all by their lonesome or with a group of friends.

The conventional wisdom was that it's best to bring up young children in the suburbs, where there are large homes, space, yards, etc. And then move back to the city when the kids are in their teens.

Your anecdote doesn't prove anything, though. Just because they can socialize in public doesn't prove anything one way or the other about deprivation.

Old 04-06-2019, 11:08 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
The conventional wisdom was that it's best to bring up young children in the suburbs, where there are large homes, space, yards, etc. And then move back to the city when the kids are in their teens.

Your anecdote doesn't prove anything, though. Just because they can socialize in public doesn't prove anything one way or the other about deprivation.
Whose "conventional" wisdom is that?

Am sorry but you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about.

The construct of moving to the suburbs to raise kids really only occurred during the "white flight" period of NYC, as it did elsewhere.

For much of the history of not only NYC but other urban areas plenty of families of all socio-economic demographics remained in town and raised children. Evidence of this was the vast numbers of schools both public and private scattered about Manhattan. Number of both sorts began to decline from the 1960's onwards as result of white flight and changes in demographics including lower birth rates.

The whole suburbs construct is a direct result of post-war (WWII) boom often tinged with a bit of racism. Whites fled what they considered decaying and crime filled cities. The race riots of 1960's that hit many urban areas didn't help matters either.

Next is the fact this whole conversation of "moving to suburbs" tends to be Manhattan centric. People can and did move to Staten Island, along with parts of Brooklyn, Queens and yes even the Bronx.

Families who are moving out of Manhattan and Brooklyn for the "suburbs" are doing so largely because they are being priced out. If they could afford to remain in Park Slope or whatever most would remain. So they've packed up and moved to Montclair, NJ and other suburbs that have the same sort of "inclusive" vibe they're used to; but housing they can afford.

Old 04-07-2019, 02:31 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
Those rich kids who grew up in Manhattan are some of the most privileged in the country!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: