Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 07:29 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Why plastic bags? Why can't you use paper bags for garbage as I do?

Because you buy most of your food from Whole Foods who dispense strong double bagged paper bags exclusively. Not everyone shops there.
When I DO rarely shop at WF (I like their Puffed Rice and Puffed Wheat and somebody gave me a $25 gift card) I use their paper bags for my paper recycling. I separate the bags and use them singly.

Garbage can be wet, so having a paper bag break on the way to the compactor chute spreading chicken bones, potato peels, and coffee grounds all over the hallway carpeting is too gross to think about. <We have nice carpeting.> I would not be adverse to using a Rubbermaid garbage container, maybe 3 gallons and tossing the contents down the chute and then rinsing and drying for the next load but I don't know the sanitary effects of what might stick to the walls of the 45 story chute? Fire? roaches?

Last edited by Kefir King; 04-04-2019 at 07:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 07:54 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Because you buy most of your food from Whole Foods who dispense strong double bagged paper bags exclusively. Not everyone shops there.
When I DO rarely shop at WF (I like their Puffed Rice and Puffed Wheat and somebody gave me a $25 gift card) I use their paper bags for my paper recycling. I separate the bags and use them singly.

Garbage can be wet, so having a paper bag break on the way to the compactor chute spreading chicken bones, potato peels, and coffee grounds all over the hallway carpeting is too gross to think about. <We have nice carpeting.> I would not be adverse to using a Rubbermaid garbage container, maybe 3 gallons and tossing the contents down the chute and then rinsing and drying for the next load but I don't know the sanitary effects of what might stick to the walls of the 45 story chute? Fire? roaches?
Yes, dumping unbagged garbage into the chute could be a disaster -- roaches. That's what my super told me when I first moved in (I had never lived in a building with a chute before).

Old 04-04-2019, 08:15 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
I would not be adverse to using a Rubbermaid garbage container, maybe 3 gallons and tossing the contents down the chute and then rinsing and drying for the next load but I don't know the sanitary effects of what might stick to the walls of the 45 story chute? Fire? roaches?

I would not toss anything down the chute that wasn't able to be secured tightly in a bag, which a paper bag seems to fail at, because of this. Our building bombs the chute at least 1-2x per month for bugs. Also, we are not allowed to throw litter down it because if the bag rips, it's worse than garbage. (I guess they've had experience with that before!)

Old 04-04-2019, 09:03 AM

So it sounds like we are kind of stuck with plastic bags for our garbage chutes. I COULD carry the Rubbermaid bin down to the sub basement and throw the garbage directly into the compactor but I couldn't do it on the way out because I'd be stuck with the container. Too much of a schlepp if I have to go back up and then down again.

I probably have a lifetime supply of plastic bags from Key Foods, C-Town, Fairway, nice big ones from CVS, and perfectly sized ones from Gourmet Deli (92nd and First.)

Old 04-04-2019, 09:12 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Every building or building complex should have

https://ww2.kqed.org/quest/2014/11/1...d-into-energy/

There should be a type of system in place where everybody has like a little chute in their house where they can just dump the trash directly into, and it goes straight into the furnace, which creates energy to heat and light the building, and with a way to keep the chute clean - much less plastic bag usage

and Trump legalized industrial hemp, time to start making everything out of that, from clothing to building materials

Only way to solve these types of problems is to think big.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-04-2019, 09:47 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Yes, dumping unbagged garbage into the chute could be a disaster -- roaches. That's what my super told me when I first moved in (I had never lived in a building with a chute before).
I have never lived in NYC, I suppose chutes like that are common there. I have never lived in an apartment building that had a trash chutes either. Scratch that, I have never lived in a building that had a trash chute in use. I can think of three older apartment buildings I lived in when I was younger, that had trash chutes, but they were all sealed up and never used. I always wondered what the original intent of them was. Best as I could tell any garbage dropped into them would have just dropped down into the first floor hallway and sat there. I have no idea what they intended to happen to it then. Either way I find the idea of trash chutes to be gross. Even the trash dumpster that I dump my garbage into stinks terrible. I can't even imagine having something like that indoors. I can't see how it would not be a major health and fire hazard, even using plastic bags. Without plastic bags, a system like that would be complete insanity.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:33 AM

SF,

Of course you know that NYC forbids incineration of wastes.

Cloudy,
The chutes lead to large (almost train car sized containers in the basement) where it is periodically hydraulically compressed into the smallest volume possible, and then magically taken away when full. I don't know if the City takes it or we have a private contract with Mafia Cartage?

Old 04-04-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
SF,

Of course you know that NYC forbids incineration of wastes.

Cloudy,
The chutes lead to large (almost train car sized containers in the basement) where it is periodically hydraulically compressed into the smallest volume possible, and then magically taken away when full. I don't know if the City takes it or we have a private contract with Mafia Cartage?
Yes, you know I'm aware of this
But we need to find a clean solution.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Yes, you know I'm aware of this
But we need to find a clean solution.

Suppose there IS none?

Old 04-04-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Suppose there IS none?
Well we won't find out unless some investigation is done

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/21/c...-for-fuel.html

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City