U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 12:50 PM

3 posts, read 295 times

Advertisements

Hi my name is Vee and I used to be active on CD back in 2011-2012 when I was looking for my first co-op.
Well we've been here in Pelham Parkway So. Since 2012 and it might be time to move.
My "problem" is that I have a child in school. Because of a pleothra of reasons, she needs to stay in District 11.

So my question is: What neighborhoods fall in this area? Google was not very helpful.

Right now we are in a huge 1100+sq co-op w an elevator. And just a min from the train & bus. So lots of good. Unfortunately the place is too big and we are not saving any money.

I'd love to size down to 850-900sq ft but still be in an situation I'm in now. Close to transit and w an elevator. And not in Pelham Parkway So. The neighborhood is not a good fit.

If anyone knows where I should start looking I'd be much obliged.
Thanks in advance for reading.
V
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 01:33 PM

19,041 posts, read 34,053,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeBee555 View Post
Hi my name is Vee and I used to be active on CD back in 2011-2012 when I was looking for my first co-op.
Well we've been here in Pelham Parkway So. Since 2012 and it might be time to move.
My "problem" is that I have a child in school. Because of a pleothra of reasons, she needs to stay in District 11.

So my question is: What neighborhoods fall in this area? Google was not very helpful.

Right now we are in a huge 1100+sq co-op w an elevator. And just a min from the train & bus. So lots of good. Unfortunately the place is too big and we are not saving any money.

I'd love to size down to 850-900sq ft but still be in an situation I'm in now. Close to transit and w an elevator. And not in Pelham Parkway So. The neighborhood is not a good fit.

If anyone knows where I should start looking I'd be much obliged.
Thanks in advance for reading.
V
Not throwing shots, but I Googled "NYC DOE district map" and it was the first link that came up:

https://video.eschoolsolutions.com/u...istrictMap.pdf

You should be able to compare it against a map of the Bronx and see what neighborhoods are located within the district.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-03-2019, 02:57 PM

3 posts, read 295 times
Yes, saw that. Then everyone has different names for neighborhoods on several realty sites. But thanks for your input.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:39 PM

8,445 posts, read 20,146,531 times
Quote:
Yes, saw that. Then everyone has different names for neighborhoods on several realty sites. But thanks for your input.
District 11 includes virtually all of the area East of Bronx Park and North of The Cross Bronx all the way up to Westchester. So, it includes Parkchester, Westchester Sq, Van Nest, Pelham Parkway( North and South), Bronxdale, Bronxwood, Morris Park, Pelham Gardens, Allerton, Williamsbridge, Wakefield, Co Op City, City Island, Edenwald, Eastchester, Baychester,etc.

It does not include Throg's Neck and Pelham Bay but does include Woodlawn.

The only neighborhoods in the district that might allow you to "save money"... or live less expensively ...are likely to have issues.
For schools I would stay South of Allerton Ave except for Woodlawn.
I'm not sure you will find anything anywhere in The Bronx that will afford a cheaper living situation than a co op purchased in 2012. Prices and rents have gone up considerably.

You might just behaving a 7 year itch and realize you might be better off financially by staying put.

Does V = Vic? As in Vic Future?

Last edited by bluedog2; 04-03-2019 at 05:54 PM..

Old 04-03-2019, 04:42 PM

840 posts, read 1,508,557 times
Morris Park seems like it would be the best fit based on your criteria.

Old 04-03-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Morris Park seems like it would be the best fit based on your criteria.
It's the most expensive neighborhood in District 11 so it is not likely to offer an opportunity to save money.
Sounds like OP needs to move to a less expensive neighborhood, not more expensive.

Old Yesterday, 02:06 AM

3 posts, read 295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
District 11 includes virtually all of the area East of Bronx Park and North of The Cross Bronx all the way up to Westchester. So, it includes Parkchester, Westchester Sq, Van Nest, Pelham Parkway( North and South), Bronxdale, Bronxwood, Morris Park, Pelham Gardens, Allerton, Williamsbridge, Wakefield, Co Op City, City Island, Edenwald, Eastchester, Baychester,etc.

It does not include Throg's Neck and Pelham Bay but does include Woodlawn.

The only neighborhoods in the district that might allow you to "save money"... or live less expensively ...are likely to have issues.
For schools I would stay South of Allerton Ave except for Woodlawn.
I'm not sure you will find anything anywhere in The Bronx that will afford a cheaper living situation than a co op purchased in 2012. Prices and rents have gone up considerably.

You might just behaving a 7 year itch and realize you might be better off financially by staying put.

Does V = Vic? As in Vic Future?
BD,
It's me Vic Future and in the time since that post, I have seen zero apartments that cost less than what I'm paying now for almost half of what I have. Very troubling.
To be frank, it's my husband who wants to move in m perfectly happy. He hates the area and frequently calls it garbage.
Thanks to those who replied. I think we have to stay put. I had sticker shock.
V

Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM

Quote:
BD,
It's me Vic Future and in the time since that post, I have seen zero apartments that cost less than what I'm paying now for almost half of what I have. Very troubling.
To be frank, it's my husband who wants to move in m perfectly happy. He hates the area and frequently calls it garbage.
V
Vee... There are a few nice co op buildings with relatively cheap apartments scattered around in fairly nice neighborhoods of The Bronx. There is always a catch though. The catch with every one that I can think of is no elevator. Haven't had the time to analyze but in these less expensive buildings I would bet that when apartments do come up on the 1st or 2nd floor they would probably be higher priced.

If I remember correctly though I think when you were looking last time you had an issue with stairs. I remember you liking that the PP subway stop had escalators and elevators because of a bum foot or something.
If that's still the case you obviously don't want a walk up, right ?

Anyway, as an example, there is a 1 br for sale right now for 120 with a 465/mo maintenance in this building:https://streeteasy.com/building/1500...treet-bronx/4d
From what I have heard it's a nice building.
I think it's district 11 but not sure. Kind of near the border.

Last edited by bluedog2; Yesterday at 07:58 AM..

Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM

1,479 posts, read 525,924 times
Quote:
BD,
V

Why does your husband hate Pelham Pkwy and think it's garbage? I have a small studio in Parkchester (where I don't live but use it as my NYC accommodation for occasional weeks when I am in NYC), and have recently ventured a bit into the Bronx outside of Parkchester. The Bronx east of the Bronx River actually seems to me all pretty good, except for the southernmost part of it, namely Soundview and Castle Hill. These southern parts of the East Bronx are still criminal, but the rest seems very normal to me (born and raised in southeastern Europe). The prices that you are seeing probably reflect the substantially improved quality of life, but they are generally still substantially cheaper than in the other boroughs.

Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,477,009 times
Quote:
BD,
V
Interesting. “Garbage” is not at all how I would describe PP. From my recollection it was a beautiful area in 2012 and I would still think the same. It lacks a lot of the types of places and amenities that I like (your stereotypical “hipster” coffee shops, stores, restaurants and bars) so it’s the reason I left but that said I think it’s still a great neighborhood.

And yeah if you bought in 2011/2012 you’re going to have a golden handcuff situation since anything of equal or even lesser size will be a lot more expensive. Are you able to make the most of it by spending weekends elsewhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or