Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 04:37 PM

195 posts, read 130,910 times

Advertisements

Two years ago, a post was made about Jayla, who had just completed college. She had launched her own social media business and hair company. She is also an author.

Her first apartment was in Manhattan. Though it wasn't her top choice, because it was a small one bedroom, she managed to make do, because it was her first apartment straight out of college. The apartment was around 2,800-3,000 per month. She did not have any room-mates.

Needless to say, when her lease ended, she rented a 3-bedroom apartment in Bushwick, but she didn't like the location. She really wanted the million dollar views, and regretted sacrificing the prime location and views, for the extra 3rd bedroom, that she really didn't need.

NYC is truly the city for dreams. Though I don't know Jayla personally, I have watched some of her journey captured on youtube from her days in college to her life as a full-time entrepreneur.

This post is dedicated to Jayla and others like her in NYC, who manifest their dreams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEhh-py2dg0&t=228s

I only wish that more young black American women (in particular) opted for entrepreneurship, in lieu of a 9-5 job, that doesn't pay well or a job that limits growth and development.

NYC is indeed the city of dreams. Again, where else, can a black girl straight out of college create a successful business, and go on to earn 500K/year. She mentioned that her dream is to become a multi-millionaire before 30 (I believe she's only 23). I'm sure she will be able to achieve whatever she believes.

I only wish more of us, had the same mindset and drive.

Last edited by LisaLisa2323; 04-03-2019 at 05:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 05:25 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,574,903 times
Only if everyone is guaranteed of some kind of success, then yes, otherwise, no.

Old 04-03-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
Only if everyone is guaranteed of some kind of success, then yes, otherwise, no.
No one can guarantee your success. You have to work for it; especially in a place like NYC.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:10 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,883,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaLisa2323 View Post
No one can guarantee your success. You have to work for it; especially in a place like NYC.
The point is even with hard work one can send up broke in a ditch.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:35 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times
Quote:
Two years ago, a post was made about Jayla, who had just completed college. She had launched her own social media business and hair company. She is also an author.

Her first apartment was in Manhattan. Though it wasn't her top choice, because it was a small one bedroom, she managed to make do, because it was her first apartment straight out of college. The apartment was around 2,800-3,000 per month. She did not have any room-mates.

Needless to say, when her lease ended, she rented a 3-bedroom apartment in Bushwick, but she didn't like the location. She really wanted the million dollar views, and regretted sacrificing the prime location and views, for the extra 3rd bedroom, that she really didn't need.

NYC is truly the city for dreams. Though I don't know Jayla personally, I have watched some of her journey captured on youtube from her days in college to her life as a full-time entrepreneur.

This post is dedicated to Jayla and others like her in NYC, who manifest their dreams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEhh-py2dg0&t=228s

I only wish that more young black American women (in particular) opted for entrepreneurship, in lieu of a 9-5 job, that doesn't pay well or a job that limits growth and development.

NYC is indeed the city of dreams. Again, where else, can a black girl straight out of college create a successful business, and go on to earn 500K/year. She mentioned that her dream is to become a multi-millionaire before 30 (I believe she's only 23). I'm sure she will be able to achieve whatever she believes.

I only wish more of us, had the same mindset and drive.

uh...wouldn't it have made more sense to live cheap in bushwick first and save up for a 1 bedroom apartment in Manhattan that she could own? It seems she wasted money on crap materialistic crap that she did not need. could have used that money for real estate instead

Old 04-03-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
uh...wouldn't it have made more sense to live cheap in bushwick first and save up for a 1 bedroom apartment in Manhattan that she could own? It seems she wasted money on crap materialistic crap that she did not need. could have used that money for real estate instead
When you are 23 and making over 500K a year...you have plenty of "options."

Old 04-03-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Yet, a lot of people work so hard just to put foods on the table. Now, tell me about working hard to become successful. Meanwhile, you have some people at work slacking off and getting six figure pay by simply clocking in and clocking out.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
The point is even with hard work one can send up broke in a ditch.
Exactly my point.
Security guard doing double shifts
Construction workers doing 2 or 3 jobs
Delivery guys running out there with bad weathers and end up getting rob

Now, tell me about working hard.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:13 PM

5,119 posts, read 4,967,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
Yet, a lot of people work so hard just to put foods on the table. Now, tell me about working hard to become successful. Meanwhile, you have some people at work slacking off and getting six figure pay by simply clocking in and clocking out.
There are also suckers like Bezos who rakes in millions every day , rain or shine, even when he is out cheating on his family...

Old 04-03-2019, 11:55 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,773,635 times
Something people should really learn at a young age, its not about how much money you make, its about how much you save.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: