U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 02:09 PM

557 posts, read 95,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
I can identify with 99% accuracy a black person by listening to them speak within a few sentences.
Some are harder to tell than others but there’s an accent or a way they pronounce certain words, despite being in amerika for generations.
Maybe old people. Most black people in my generation don't talk any differently from anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 02:11 PM

1,510 posts, read 894,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyBratty View Post
The people in the audience dont seem to mind. Why do you?

OP is probably a strong believer in #BREXIT.

Old 04-17-2019, 04:58 PM

1,345 posts, read 373,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
Maybe old people. Most black people in my generation don't talk any differently from anyone else.
How old are you? I'm in my 20s and there is a clear difference between the white NY accent and black NY accent. Which there's nothing wrong with.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:25 PM

1,866 posts, read 506,351 times
Quote:
I can identify with 99% accuracy a black person by listening to them speak within a few sentences.
Some are harder to tell than others but there’s an accent or a way they pronounce certain words, despite being in amerika for generations.
I'm Black and there's 0% chance of you being able to tell over the phone.

Old 04-18-2019, 01:08 PM

557 posts, read 95,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
How old are you? I'm in my 20s and there is a clear difference between the white NY accent and black NY accent. Which there's nothing wrong with.
I'm a little older than you and I can't tell the difference in young people. Old people however have distinct accents where old white people say cawfee and old black people go mmm-hmm a lot.

Old 04-18-2019, 01:21 PM

7,962 posts, read 3,251,762 times
Quote:
i'm a little older than you and i can't tell the difference in young people. Old people however have distinct accents where old white people say cawfee and old black people go mmm-hmm a lot.
lol

Old 04-18-2019, 02:53 PM

1,345 posts, read 373,981 times
Quote:
I'm a little older than you and I can't tell the difference in young people. Old people however have distinct accents where old white people say cawfee and old black people go mmm-hmm a lot.
I think you might be deaf then!

Old 04-19-2019, 05:16 AM

23,962 posts, read 17,166,398 times
Quote:
There are Black People from European countries and they speak in the accent of their native language of the European country they come from, and no you cannot identify these people on the phone. Ditto Black Hispanics and Brazilians.

Not all Black People are African American. For AAs, some do speak “AA” English, some don’t.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:19 PM

809 posts, read 1,094,144 times
Damn! Where are the Social Justice Police when you need them?

She has committed a micro-aggression and needs to be arrested for the crime of cultural appropriation -- without even having given a trigger warning first so that the snowflakery could retreat into their safe spaces.

Off to the re-education camp for AOC!

Old 04-19-2019, 08:04 PM

2,855 posts, read 1,324,120 times
Quote:

I find that hard to believe. I have heard accents from black people who live in rural areas where the majority of the population is white and they sound no different than their white counterpart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City