Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2019, 08:07 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,740 times

Advertisements

I have so far not seen anyone who is black or Hispanic bothered by her race/ethnicity and/or the way she talks. Why is it in this country if you're not white you can never just be? It's like you're always the subject of scrutiny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 11:44 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I have so far not seen anyone who is black or Hispanic bothered by her race/ethnicity and/or the way she talks. Why is it in this country if you're not white you can never just be? It's like you're always the subject of scrutiny.
You're not looking hard enough, I saw a lot of black and Hispanic people make fun of her for that. Maybe you live in a Huffington Post bubble

Old 04-20-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
You're not looking hard enough, I saw a lot of black and Hispanic people make fun of her for that. Maybe you live in a Huffington Post bubble

So what?!?! I laughed at her Southern accent fail too. Do you know how many people try to put on accents in the U.S. and fail at it? Why is she any different?!

Old 04-20-2019, 09:35 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times
Quote:
So what?!?! I laughed at her Southern accent fail too. Do you know how many people try to put on accents in the U.S. and fail at it? Why is she any different?!
You made it seem like only white people make fun of her. That's far from true.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:57 PM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times
It’s not different. But she’s a person who chose a path in life that puts her in the spotlight. Deal with it.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-21-2019, 07:41 AM

27 posts, read 25,982 times
Quote:

I didn’t know she was attempting to sound “Black” as some commenters stated because one just can’t sound Black IMO - unless people are using the language/vernacular of those in poor/urban to unfortunately generalize the whole race. I’m Hispanic, 95% of Black people I know including family, don’t speak like that.

I am bothered because she normally doesn’t speak like that (even though there are Hispanics in BX that do) and decided to while addressing a predominately African-American crowd.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:25 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Plenty of black people on Twitter making fun of the way she tried her fake black/fake Southern accent to talk to a black crowd.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:38 PM

13 posts, read 8,683 times
AOC pronounces Manhattan "ma-ha-en" and pronounces ask "ax."

Old 04-21-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
You made it seem like only white people make fun of her. That's far from true.

That's incorrect. I may have made it seem as if it's mostly white people who are calling her racist for the way she was speaking and for her "talking black." I also wouldn't think it's white Southerners who are saying she is "talking black" because her accent was just a plain Southern accent. It's similar to accents someone like Hillary or Barack or many politicians who visit down South make.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
It’s not different. But she’s a person who chose a path in life that puts her in the spotlight. Deal with it.

I am dealing with it. I'm laughing because everyone is making a big deal about that clip. It was funny af and people need to move on. It wasn't racist. It was just an accent fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City