U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 09:19 AM

942 posts, read 253,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
When I leave NYC I'm leaving the U.S. period.

All the problems we have here just take a different form in other states. I can't imagine having to drive everywhere. Everytime I go to Florida, Georgia or Texas I am amazed at the fact that there's literally only 1 way to go crosstown or from North to South in their key cities. And basically no public transportation available. Here you can at least take backstreets and secondary main streets or LIRR.

When I complain about MTA or NY transportation I compare IG to Europe and Asia, not to other North American cities.
To what country though? It must be hard living somewhere outside of the USA. I have visited Columbia before and it was really awesome but I was a tourist. So where do you go? What city and what country? What price point?

Another person mentioned Costa Rica and living on a farm there. It would be cool to do that if there was a bunch of people who did it together. I have heard it is cheap living in Costa Rica and to buy land is doable. On the other hand I heard that Costa Rica is not inexpensive anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 09:38 AM

21,638 posts, read 23,107,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
To what country though? It must be hard living somewhere outside of the USA. I have visited Columbia before and it was really awesome but I was a tourist. So where do you go? What city and what country? What price point?

Another person mentioned Costa Rica and living on a farm there. It would be cool to do that if there was a bunch of people who did it together. I have heard it is cheap living in Costa Rica and to buy land is doable. On the other hand I heard that Costa Rica is not inexpensive anymore.
Costa Rica, Panama, and certain parts of Mexico are really popular with Americans. Parts of Thailand and the Philippines, too. There are often, but not exclusively retirees though with more and more remote workers. If you’re in a large international firm, getting transferred is the best ticket as often your US salary goes with you and the cost-of-living is generally cheaper elsewhere (especially compared to NYC and with a NYC multinational’s salary).

The other non-retiree paths I’ve seen are working remotely and then simply renewing the visa or exit/reenter the country that you’re pretty much living in or the English teaching schools or government programs which are pretty popular around the non-Anglophone world.

I found living and working outside the US for various stints to be pretty great with lots of fond memories and good friends.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 04-08-2019 at 09:50 AM..

Old 04-08-2019, 12:08 PM

942 posts, read 253,079 times
I don't want to live around a bunch of retirees. What do they do with themseleves? Retirees seem like a totally aimless bunch who basically abandoned their grown up kids just to move somewhere warmer. They find somewhere warm to go and die, then move there and blow all their money until they die. That is sucky.

When I have kids I'd rather be near my kids and grandkids, and remain part of the family unit.

When you say Panama I envision some annoying retiree with gold chains and Panama Jack clothes.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:28 PM

1,494 posts, read 528,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Costa Rica, Panama, and certain parts of Mexico are really popular with Americans. Parts of Thailand and the Philippines, too. There are often, but not exclusively retirees though with more and more remote workers. If you’re in a large international firm, getting transferred is the best ticket as often your US salary goes with you and the cost-of-living is generally cheaper elsewhere (especially compared to NYC and with a NYC multinational’s salary).

The other non-retiree paths I’ve seen are working remotely and then simply renewing the visa or exit/reenter the country that you’re pretty much living in or the English teaching schools or government programs which are pretty popular around the non-Anglophone world.

I found living and working outside the US for various stints to be pretty great with lots of fond memories and good friends.

Since I am much closer to true old age than most of the people here (and my age of 59 would have actually been considered true old only a few decades ago, and there are actually not a few people my age who are already non-athletic, half brain dead, and truly old), I have certainly given this a practical thought. While my parents are still very active in their mid-80s and I hope to be the same, if I should have a paralyzing stroke or similar neuro disability, and should need nursing home level care, I would (and definitely will, if things happen that way) move abroad, for substantially better and incomparably cheaper care. I actually have a specific plan in place with my extended family and with a specific facility in Thailand.

But that is only tangentially related to the topic of where to live in the US while one is still fully functional. The difference between NYC and many larger cities in the US at this time seems to be only the scale/number of the same things one can find practically everywhere, more cheaply and conveniently in cities other than NYC.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:27 PM

197 posts, read 65,554 times
I've seen shows about American retireies living in these little towns in Hondorus, Costa Rica, Panama where ever. Something tells me that if they wake up with a pain in theirchest that travels down their arm, or lump in their breast or testicles they'll wish they were back in the States.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:50 PM

2,057 posts, read 1,306,909 times
I'd go to Tokyo.
In ~5 years (gf getting her bachelors and I'm getting my masters)
To return to my friends, party more in Shibuya, Shinjuku, Ikkebukuro, Shimshambashi, and Susukino, and doujinshi shop in Nakano, Akihabara, Namba, and Kobe. I should have gotten a Snow Miku Hatsune bowling ball in Sapporo when I was there.

I'm working towards it, but I could stay in NYC. It's not even the same as it was in 2010 for me, but I can't stand living anywhere else in this country. I do like it here, there are just other places in the world I'd rather be.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:17 PM

11,071 posts, read 21,444,073 times
I have NYC friends who are retiring in Valencia, Spain. They haven't been there long but so far they love it. She is in her 70's and I'm not sure how old her husband is. Key factor, though, is that they are both fluent in Spanish already. He grew up in a Spanish speaking country and she learned some other way.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:36 PM

1,494 posts, read 528,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
I've seen shows about American retireies living in these little towns in Hondorus, Costa Rica, Panama where ever. Something tells me that if they wake up with a pain in theirchest that travels down their arm, or lump in their breast or testicles they'll wish they were back in the States.

My career is in healthcare, and I have a pretty good idea of what is available where, for what cost and with what clinical outcomes. If I wake up with chest pain or a new lump anywhere (sorry, I don't have testicles), and if the problem is not extremely emergent (in which case unfortunately there is no choice), but is serious and expensive to treat, treatment in the US would not be my first choice.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:44 PM

10,579 posts, read 9,061,217 times
I've heard that in particular Panama is a medical tourism destination. So at least there probably not so much. And if they do need medical care, they probably won't be bankrupted by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post

Old 04-08-2019, 07:02 PM

28 posts, read 9,328 times
Moved to NC the driving thru the Triangle you will see NY,NJ, CT,MA ,GA with CA in the mix. Come on down but warning the Chinese food here is 🙄Hunan Balcony it ain't.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or