U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2019, 07:54 PM

19,850 posts, read 13,040,714 times

Advertisements

Have all the windows wide open, radiators closed and yet this place is like an oven. Lo and behold the heat is actually *on* after being off part of day.

Sent text to super, will see what is up with this fresh heck.

Coming home earlier noticed every single building on block had buildings with windows wide open. Stores and my bank had doors open because it was to GD hot inside, and yes the heat was on.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 07:59 PM

1,852 posts, read 490,718 times
100 year old buildings and climate change.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:06 PM

19,850 posts, read 13,040,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
100 year old buildings and climate change.
Ours is only about forty!

Think a large part of it is changes to heating laws pushed through by city council.

OTOH yes, global warming may be playing a hand as well.

This past winter was rather warm, that coupled with having to keep boiler firing on full to cope with the few elderly or whatever who are always cold regardless, creates a rather hot basement.

To wit friend from neighborhood has been dealing with those huge water but roaches *all* winter.

They live on ground floor and the "mouse sized" bugs have invaded the apartment, mostly in the bathroom area and kitchen. Things are so bad they've killed on average five or six per week! Going to the bathroom first thing in AM or overnight, turning on lights and seeing something the size of a small rodent scurrying cannot be fun.

That and just when they think the coast is clear and take a shower; he reaches for loofah or washcloth only to find a roach crawling off it.

He's spend a fortune on bug spray, boric acid, etc... Calls to super or building basically get "it is what it is; weather is warm and moist so they are coming up from basement...".

Old 04-08-2019, 08:25 PM

19,041 posts, read 34,035,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Ours is only about forty!

Think a large part of it is changes to heating laws pushed through by city council.

OTOH yes, global warming may be playing a hand as well.

This past winter was rather warm, that coupled with having to keep boiler firing on full to cope with the few elderly or whatever who are always cold regardless, creates a rather hot basement.

To wit friend from neighborhood has been dealing with those huge water but roaches *all* winter.

They live on ground floor and the "mouse sized" bugs have invaded the apartment, mostly in the bathroom area and kitchen. Things are so bad they've killed on average five or six per week! Going to the bathroom first thing in AM or overnight, turning on lights and seeing something the size of a small rodent scurrying cannot be fun.

That and just when they think the coast is clear and take a shower; he reaches for loofah or washcloth only to find a roach crawling off it.

He's spend a fortune on bug spray, boric acid, etc... Calls to super or building basically get "it is what it is; weather is warm and moist so they are coming up from basement...".
In Manhattan??

No, can't be......

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-08-2019, 10:26 PM

6,211 posts, read 5,661,588 times
Well my phone said tomorrow it will be 21 degrees colder Tuesday than Monday. Said low of 46 tomorrow.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:13 PM

10,571 posts, read 9,047,455 times
The boiler control system should have an outside temperature sensor for just this purpose.

Old 04-09-2019, 01:30 AM

5,974 posts, read 6,144,966 times
You must be in Manhattan because Queens is cold.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:38 AM

31,547 posts, read 32,421,307 times
There was no heat last night in my apt. But this morning the heat has gone back on.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:04 AM

306 posts, read 225,864 times
The bigger the building, the longer it takes for a boiler to get up to temperature needed to heat. They are still legally required to meet heating demand until May 31. With the fluctuations in temperatures around this time of year it can go from comfortable to cold very quickly.

It is cheaper to just keep the heat on than doing major upgrades to create a system that can react more quickly with temperature fluctuations. This is why newer buildings love PTACs (below window heater/AC). The LL is only responsible to maintain them and the bill for use and control is on the tenant.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:20 AM

7,732 posts, read 5,028,925 times
There has been only a handful of days in which i would have considered turning on the radiator. I turned the valve off and i still get heat. It's crazy! I don't want heat..

I placed a big blanket on the radiator all winter long so my room is not an oven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or