U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 06:46 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,702,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I'm glad to hear this, I've heard good things about Tony Luke's from Philly natives
Grew up in Philly. Tony Luke was one of only two spots I would get steaks from regularly (Other was Steve's prince of steaks in NE Philly). Way better than Pats, Genos or Jims on South Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 07:50 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,926,026 times
I like the tony's on oregon ave

Pat's and genos suck. I used to go to pat's but they put too much grit. It's only good for the tourist. I have never been to Jim's

There was a food truck in south philly that was serving a jerk chicken cheesesteak but I did not get a chance to try.

Tony luke should open an egg sandwich shop in nyc

Old 04-10-2019, 05:25 AM

623 posts, read 2,223,403 times
Went to Philly many times in the past, tried a bunch of places and Tony Lukes (the main one on Oregon Ave) was always my favorite.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:24 PM

21,143 posts, read 27,748,505 times
I grew uip in ALlentown and EVERYT bar served steak sandwiches ( cheese steaks are newer.)

MatJack...ddi the steak sandwiches reach all to way to the Poconos

Old 04-11-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post

It's a regional thing, so philly is the ONLY place for it. Good luck to these folks, they need to make a NY iconic sandwich if they wanna float.

Actually, all of Eastern Pennsylvania can give you cheesesteaks better than the best you can get in NYC. Admittedly, I have not had many in NYC because I am afraid of getting another bad one. Back before gambling ruined the Jersey Shore, it was easy to get a very good steak sandwich in Atlantic City, Wildwood, even Ocean City.

Last edited by Kefir King; 04-11-2019 at 07:34 AM..

Old 04-11-2019, 09:31 AM

4,182 posts, read 6,929,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Have you tried Shorties on 2nd ave?
Shorties is pretty good. So was 99 miles to Philly which had a long run in the East Village. People from Philly are a little too precious about their cheesesteaks. It's not exactly a complicated "recipe".

Old 04-11-2019, 11:50 AM

12,410 posts, read 8,378,648 times
I always find it hard to believe anyone in NYC would care about Cheesesteaks when there are much better eats here. Cheesteak is the least flavorful kind of meat sandwich when compared to other similar ethnic meat sandwiches. I ate a few places in Philly and they are good when you need a greasy sandwich but it's just not interesting enough. Its blue collar food.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Shorties is pretty good. So was 99 miles to Philly which had a long run in the East Village. People from Philly are a little too precious about their cheesesteaks. It's not exactly a complicated "recipe".

Seemingly fairly hard to learn. In a New Jersey Restaurant I ordered a steak sandwich, long ago. It WAS on the menu.
I got a half inch wedge of tough top round steak between two pieces of toast. It was completely inedible...unchewable I guess the idea of thinly shaved beef is too foreign an idea for some.

I can make a decent substitute on the griddle with Steak-umms, Muenster cheese, a nice roll and some spicy tomato sauce,

So not overly complicated and any bar owner with his salt CAN offer them, but it only seems to happen in Pennsylvania.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:00 PM

10,571 posts, read 9,044,153 times
I went to Philly a couple years ago. I did the touristy Pat's/Geno's thing (Geno's specifically.) I was thoroughly unimpressed, but figured they had become essentially tourist traps.

Quote:

Old 04-11-2019, 12:01 PM

10,571 posts, read 9,044,153 times
I brought up Shorties because it's probably a 5 minute walk for Kefir.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or