U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 11:56 AM

15,428 posts, read 17,385,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriefOneNYC View Post
The one on fulton and Flatbush is open. Waited 30 min for a basic cheesesteak and stale French fries. Never again
Eating a busy, hyped up, new restaurant with untrained workers? Classic rookie mistake.

I'd wait a couple of weeks. The casual workers with a poor work ethic will wash out. The good workers will get up to speed, and the "hafta be first" customers will drift away back to their normal lunches, and you will get a better sandwich in shorter time. Either that or they'll close because they suck, and that'll save you the trouble, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 12:09 AM

5,986 posts, read 6,157,279 times
Rocco's food stand at the Woodside Home Depot makes great cheesesteaks plus he has a location in the Philly Home Depot by the Water Gap. He also does the street fairs, and has the stand there.

Our Diners actually make great cheesesteaks too. I dont think we need this Tony Luke. Plus I never hear of them. In Philly, there is Geno's, Pats, and that place inside the Reading Terminal Market.

What I want is Montreal Smoked Meat.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Actually, all of Eastern Pennsylvania can give you cheesesteaks better than the best you can get in NYC. Admittedly, I have not had many in NYC because I am afraid of getting another bad one. Back before gambling ruined the Jersey Shore, it was easy to get a very good steak sandwich in Atlantic City, Wildwood, even Ocean City.
Nah, cheesesteaks can only taste so good. I have had good cheesesteaks here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I always find it hard to believe anyone in NYC would care about Cheesesteaks when there are much better eats here. Cheesteak is the least flavorful kind of meat sandwich when compared to other similar ethnic meat sandwiches. I ate a few places in Philly and they are good when you need a greasy sandwich but it's just not interesting enough. Its blue collar food.
True, true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
The Philly Cheesesteak is actually very popular in NYC already. I bet it's a top ten most ordered bodega item.
Every fast casual, and fast food sandwich shop offers cheesesteaks. Diners have pretty good cheesesteaks. The ones that care at least.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Seemingly fairly hard to learn. In a New Jersey Restaurant I ordered a steak sandwich, long ago. It WAS on the menu.
I got a half inch wedge of tough top round steak between two pieces of toast. It was completely inedible...unchewable I guess the idea of thinly shaved beef is too foreign an idea for some.

I can make a decent substitute on the griddle with Steak-umms, Muenster cheese, a nice roll and some spicy tomato sauce,

So not overly complicated and any bar owner with his salt CAN offer them, but it only seems to happen in Pennsylvania.
Probably because they dont care too much. Diners in NJ have huge menus. They take better care with burgers, and club sandwiches etc etc. Philly Cheesesteaks just arent always on the mind of their typical customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Damn it! With so much good food from all over the world,right in the outer borosilicate, y'all messing with cheese stakes.

Best steak sandwich ever is made by Chinese Cubans, in a old school lunchonette. For those who haven't had a ropa Vieja sandwich on Cuban bread,you missing out.
I have never seen one of these chinese cubans luncheonettes let alone a chinese cuban in NYC before, or even in Union City where there is supposedly a Cuban enclave.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:34 AM

What I want here in NYC is Earl of Sandwich, and Eggspectations.

Who has this kind of money to throw away on a cheesesteak chain, and opening it up in the most expensive and brutally finicky, when it comes to taste, city like NYC?

Must be some rich kid with connections to bankers giving him money to throw away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkGspGUk7ds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THgNQgaOmps

Old 04-16-2019, 09:21 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,862,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What I want here in NYC is Earl of Sandwich, and Eggspectations.

Who has this kind of money to throw away on a cheesesteak chain, and opening it up in the most expensive and brutally finicky, when it comes to taste, city like NYC?

Must be some rich kid with connections to bankers giving him money to throw away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkGspGUk7ds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THgNQgaOmps
we have earl of sandwich here

Old 04-16-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
we have earl of sandwich here
You appear to be correct, and is not too far from where I work sometimes.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:11 AM

21,178 posts, read 27,784,660 times
Eggspectation?

What subway goes to Dubai?

Old 04-17-2019, 09:20 AM

13 posts, read 3,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Eating a busy, hyped up, new restaurant with untrained workers? Classic rookie mistake.

I'd wait a couple of weeks. The casual workers with a poor work ethic will wash out. The good workers will get up to speed, and the "hafta be first" customers will drift away back to their normal lunches, and you will get a better sandwich in shorter time. Either that or they'll close because they suck, and that'll save you the trouble, too.
We’re not talking about splitting atoms here but whatever you say boss.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:46 AM

15,428 posts, read 17,385,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GriefOneNYC View Post
We’re not talking about splitting atoms here but whatever you say boss.
Take my word for it, upstart sandwich shops staffed by morons and teenagers see the same kind of intense concentration and inevitable failures as a fledgling space program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or