Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 11:30 AM

28 posts, read 36,098 times

Advertisements

Can someone explain the wait-list process to me? Recently interviewed for a new development and I qualify.
However, I was told that they need to process lower log numbers. Why don't they process the log numbers in order?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 11:56 AM

36 posts, read 45,936 times
Did you qualify in the same bracket that you originally applied for? If they had to move you to a different bracket, then they may not be up to your log number in the revised bracket if that makes sense...

Old 04-10-2019, 03:31 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design247 View Post
Can someone explain the wait-list process to me? Recently interviewed for a new development and I qualify.
However, I was told that they need to process lower log numbers. Why don't they process the log numbers in order?
You're waitlisted when all the apartments in your available bracket are gone. If they are still processing number in your bracket you aren't waitlisted, you are just waiting for them to get to your number so they can see if there are apartments still available.

They do process the numbers in order, which is why you were told they need to process the lower numbers first. It's a long process and they typically process people in batches. They can't just contact each person wait on them, then the next and then the next. They need to fill the apartments. If they did it 1 by 1 by 1, who knows how long it would take given they give you typically about 10 days to respond if you are interested in going through the process. So they have batches of people submit there stuff and when they get to their number everything is there and they can move forward.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:02 AM

2 posts, read 5,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
You're waitlisted when all the apartments in your available bracket are gone. If they are still processing number in your bracket you aren't waitlisted, you are just waiting for them to get to your number so they can see if there are apartments still available.

They do process the numbers in order, which is why you were told they need to process the lower numbers first. It's a long process and they typically process people in batches. They can't just contact each person wait on them, then the next and then the next. They need to fill the apartments. If they did it 1 by 1 by 1, who knows how long it would take given they give you typically about 10 days to respond if you are interested in going through the process. So they have batches of people submit there stuff and when they get to their number everything is there and they can move forward.
Are the log numbers separated by Ami brackets? For instance if my log number is 2500 am I #2500 in the 60% bracket or just 2500 overall?

Old 05-17-2019, 08:35 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mspearls View Post
Are the log numbers separated by Ami brackets? For instance if my log number is 2500 am I #2500 in the 60% bracket or just 2500 overall?
Overall

Old 05-17-2019, 11:37 AM

6,680 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Waitlist = fugheddaboutit!

Old 05-18-2019, 07:07 AM

4 posts, read 10,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Waitlist = fugheddaboutit!
Not necessarily--i was waitlisted (official letter + money order returned) in early April and got invited for a viewing less than 4 weeks later. Now, my file is with HPD for final approval. So... there is hope but I guess it depends mostly on the AMI bracket you are in. Apartment offers may be turned down by the applicants more often in the higher brackets.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:39 AM

78 posts, read 72,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobert_Roses View Post
Not necessarily--i was waitlisted (official letter + money order returned) in early April and got invited for a viewing less than 4 weeks later. Now, my file is with HPD for final approval. So... there is hope but I guess it depends mostly on the AMI bracket you are in. Apartment offers may be turned down by the applicants more often in the higher brackets.
How do you know if you are wait-listed? Do they send you a letter?

My agent keeps telling me that it is still being process. I had my initial interview on May 10th.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:27 AM

4 posts, read 10,968 times
When you are waitlisted, the agent sends you an email and they also mail the same letter to your current address. At least that's what happened in my case.

Old 07-22-2019, 02:23 PM

494 posts, read 557,287 times
I understand why people are waitlisted but I don’t understand why they call 3-5x people for apartments available. They should call people and process them in smaller batches so there is a better chance of getting an apartment if called. It is nonsense for them to call people with high log numbers knowing there are 300 people before them and only 50 apartments available ESPECIALLY with how slowly they process applications.

And it would be great when they do call people with high log numbers who will probably be waitlisted to let them know at the interview they have most of the apartments full and they will be most likely on a wait list.

This process creates a lot of stress for the applicants and probably for the management as well and the sad thing is it is unnecessary. It could be so much less stressful if it was organized with better guidelines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: