U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Metro-North Line is the best? Also submit a comment on the line you feel is the worst
Hudson 6 85.71%
Harlem 0 0%
New Haven 2 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 11:37 AM

337 posts, read 270,118 times

Advertisements

So I've been thinking about this for a couple days. I work next to Grand Central Station and have a lot of co-workers who live in Westchester and Fairfield Counties. I posted this in the New York (Westchester) and the Connecticut forums as well - but I wanted to get a sense of which Metro-North line you guys think is the best and which is the worst coming out of GCT: Hudson, Harlem, or New Haven?

As always, lemme know your thoughts. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 103 times
Cannot speak to the Hudson line (I've taken it only once or twice) but New Haven line is the worst if you care about ridership levels. On rush hour, or even off, the train will be standing room only before it even leaves GCT. I much rather prefer the Harlem line because it is not as crowded. However, the Harlem line seems to use the older model trains more than the New Haven line and some people say they are drab and lack comfort (I like them personally).

If you live in more northern Fairfield county (Danbury, Bethel, Brookfield, Newtown) your best bet is to drive to Southeast and take the Harlem line, as opposed to taking the Harlem line imo.

Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM

7,949 posts, read 3,226,099 times
Hudson Line. Harlem and New Haven lines are usually packed. Hudson Line has great views of the Hudson too. Right now since the New Haven Line has new trains, I would say that the Harlem Line is the worst.

Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM

18 posts, read 5,104 times
Hudson line rocks. More direct service over the entire line. More express service, and a very scenic Plus Grand Central. Might be the best commuter line in the country.

Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM

8,759 posts, read 8,938,718 times
What I'm wondering is, what difference does it make? If you need to go to a New Haven location and a poll says the Harlem line is better, will you switch to a different town?

Old Today, 09:09 AM

907 posts, read 647,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
What I'm wondering is, what difference does it make? If you need to go to a New Haven location and a poll says the Harlem line is better, will you switch to a different town?
Up arrow, up arrow, up arrow.

Old Today, 11:41 AM

884 posts, read 517,273 times
Only taken New Haven once or twice but I used to take both Harlem and Hudson frequently. Hudson is defintiely better; more attractive views and the trains seem to be faster and more frequent as well.

Old Today, 02:05 PM

19,039 posts, read 34,022,372 times
I've read over on the Westchester forum that the Hudson line train stations are hard to get to because they're all at the bottom of hills and the town is usually way uphill from the Hudson, is this factual?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old Today, 03:30 PM

21,632 posts, read 23,052,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I've read over on the Westchester forum that the Hudson line train stations are hard to get to because they're all at the bottom of hills and the town is usually way uphill from the Hudson, is this factual?
Some arenít that far from their respective downtowns, but itís true that the Hudson Line mostly hugs the river and some stops arenít located very close to the downtowns of their respective municipalities.

Old Today, 06:18 PM

7,949 posts, read 3,226,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Generally speaking that’s correct, but you can’t do anything about it. The tracks run right along the Hudson River and the areas that it serves are quite hilly. It’s basically like that in the Bronx all the way up. The Morris Heights, Spuyten Duyvil and Riverdale stations are examples in the Bronx. The Philipse Manor station in Sleepy Hollow, and the Dobbs Ferry station are some examples in Westchester. Very hilly terrain to reach those stations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or