U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 04:56 PM

45 posts, read 17,094 times

Advertisements

Iím low income and live in affordable housing. I was thinking about paying extra in my rent for the amenities. I called the doorman and asked if you could bring guests with you to the gym. He said he had no idea and said he has to ask management. He later called me and told me that they said no. I had wanted to bring my girlfriend with me.

I never been in the gym in my building before. I was thinking about just bringing my girlfriend in there with me anyway when I do go. My question is if security is tight in the gym in affordable housing? Are there people watching the cameras in the gym? Has anyone on here took a guest with them to the gym before
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 05:18 PM

942 posts, read 443,881 times
Probably depends on the building. I would think most places would have some kind of electronic access for the gym. That means you could bring a person in with you as long as you kept it low-key. The odds that anyone is watching cameras in the gym to check to see if they recognize all the tenants is very very low, but you don't want to do anything that would draw attention to yourselves.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:28 PM

19,962 posts, read 13,153,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerezz7 View Post
Iím low income and live in affordable housing. I was thinking about paying extra in my rent for the amenities. I called the doorman and asked if you could bring guests with you to the gym. He said he had no idea and said he has to ask management. He later called me and told me that they said no. I had wanted to bring my girlfriend with me.

I never been in the gym in my building before. I was thinking about just bringing my girlfriend in there with me anyway when I do go. My question is if security is tight in the gym in affordable housing? Are there people watching the cameras in the gym? Has anyone on here took a guest with them to the gym before

Why are you asking people who don't live in your building how to run game?

If the policy states residents are not allowed to bring guests to the gym, then that is an end of it. Doing so against thus rules will put you in violation; as such I'd be far less concerned about what they can but rather will do.

Your lease is a contractual agreement between yourself and the landlord. When one or either violates that document there are consequences are repercussions. No one on this board can tell you "go ahead, do what you want, it doesn't matter...". You should be taking your marching orders from the building management.

Have never understood why people post these sort of queries instead of going to proper source for the correct (and only legal) answer. If you want to bring a guest to the gym, pick up the telephone, send an email, write, or whatever building's management and wait for their response. That is the only answer which matters in the long run.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:23 PM

Being practical, the odds that there will be any serious consequences for what might be, at best, a minor lease violation are very very low. If we didn't run a little game in this city, none of us would be able to manage!

Old 04-12-2019, 07:17 AM

45 posts, read 17,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Being practical, the odds that there will be any serious consequences for what might be, at best, a minor lease violation are very very low. If we didn't run a little game in this city, none of us would be able to manage!

Yea I thought that Bugsypal person that responded to my question was completely overreacting. If he read my question he would see that I already asked my building about it.

On another note do you know if the doorman watches the cameras or not? Thatís the only person that Iím really worried about because they are the only ones who know that my girlfriend doesnít live there, she just comes over often. At the same time the doorman greets everyone who comes in the building so I donít know if heís watching cameras or not.
Like you said I canít see someone watching the gym cameras to see whoís in there that donít live there. I donít plan on bringing my girlfriend with me to the gym everyday. Just 2 or 3 days a week

Old 04-12-2019, 10:10 AM

I just don't know for your building. I find it hard to believe that the doorman would have time. However, if it becomes a known issue, that might change. That's why I recommend being considerate and discreet with it (also because if you're constantly having her over, you should probably be paying for it). If there are a lot of people waiting, she shouldn't tie up a machine, etc.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:42 PM

749 posts, read 286,840 times
Quote:
Yea I thought that Bugsypal person that responded to my question was completely overreacting. If he read my question he would see that I already asked my building about it.

On another note do you know if the doorman watches the cameras or not? That’s the only person that I’m really worried about because they are the only ones who know that my girlfriend doesn’t live there, she just comes over often. At the same time the doorman greets everyone who comes in the building so I don’t know if he’s watching cameras or not.
Like you said I can’t see someone watching the gym cameras to see who’s in there that don’t live there. I don’t plan on bringing my girlfriend with me to the gym everyday. Just 2 or 3 days a week
2/3 days a week is a lot

That’s pretty much the average amount of time paying people spend at the gym. Every once in a while, aka twice a month will go unnoticed but multiple times a week is a stretch

The question is if you want to take the risk or not. I’m personally not a fan of having to sneak around where I live and pay rent. If you are up for the challenge and potential fight, go for it

Sometimes you gotta just weight your risk vs reward

Old 04-13-2019, 10:21 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,695,759 times
Quote:
Like you said I canít see someone watching the gym cameras to see whoís in there that donít live there. I donít plan on bringing my girlfriend with me to the gym everyday. Just 2 or 3 days a week
Come on man you're flat out stealing. And you know this!
It's one thing to bring your GF every now and then but 2-3 time s a week is what most people who pay for memberships use the gym. You were lucky enough to get affordable housing but nah that's not good enough...
Go buy you and your GF a gym membership near by your building.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:26 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,695,759 times
Damn you're the OP that posted you got into an affordable housing building that is no smoking and you wanted ways from us how to smoke in it.
Seriously....

Old 04-13-2019, 11:49 PM

If OP doesn't have an option to pay for her and she sticks to off-hours, I don't think it's too awful. A lot of times during the day building gyms just sit empty. It's hard for me to get too worked up about someone using one during those times.

Mind's kind of bending trying to reconcile a guy who really wants both to smoke and to use the gym, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or