U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 05:08 PM

886 posts, read 521,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You want the government to dictate, I get it, but thatís not America. If I want to open a restaurant that only employs white boys, being able to do so is freedom. Anything else is not. Harsh reality, but true.

No, you want to let companies have control over everybody's personal lives, whether it's their business or not. That's not America either. That's a corporate oligarchy like China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 05:12 PM

886 posts, read 521,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
How is it a free society when businesses are forced to, with no choice, to hire drug users? Would you extend that same idea for someone molesting children or raping or stealing or murdering in their free time as well?
Except weed isn't the same as child molesters or raping or stealing, so that's a completely irrelevant "point". But if you're going to use that line, I'll reverse it: do you think your boss has the right to demand to know your favorite food? How often you masturbate? Your credit card number?

Old 04-13-2019, 05:23 PM

5,204 posts, read 2,703,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
Except weed isn't the same as child molesters or raping or stealing, so that's a completely irrelevant "point". But if you're going to use that line, I'll reverse it: do you think your boss has the right to demand to know your favorite food? How often you masturbate? Your credit card number?
Except favorite food, masterbation and my credit card number are not illegal. Weed however is an illegal drug and just like molesting, raping and stealing can land you in jail. See the huge difference?

Old 04-13-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
No, you want to let companies have control over everybody's personal lives, whether it's their business or not. That's not America either. That's a corporate oligarchy like China.
You on the other hand seem to be perfectly fine with government having control instead. How do you reconcile that?

I think it's also bit of a hyperbole to say that businesses requiring their employees not be drug users are controlling their employees' lives. Most people who are working today are drug tested and I don't think most of those people feel their lives are controlled by their companies.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yet you two will complain if people who cannot get jobs get on welfare.

Those who call themselves "right wing" seem to get off on being as cruel and as vile as possible.
Wrong. No one complains when someone gets on welfare because they cannot find work. The complaint is only for those who can work but choose not to. And if a person cannot find work because they use drugs, it is their responsibility to not use drugs if they want a job. This is not a cruel or vile expectation, it is called personal responsibility.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:53 PM

8,452 posts, read 6,906,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
But you don't work in the private sector, and to my understand you haven't in a long time. You're protected by strong union contracts put in by leftists.

I guess back in the 1960s you would have opposed civil rights, and in the early 20th century you would have opposed women's suffrage.
My job has a rule that I canít even get drunk, EVER. You going to ask the city council to get rid of that unfair labor practice?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-13-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. If a company set terms of employment that workers do not like, workers will not work for that company. Thatís how freedom works comrade.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-13-2019, 06:13 PM

FYI, my next job will not be with a company that does not allow me to smoke pot if I so choose (which I likely will). But I wasn’t raised to support the power of government imposing it’s will upon the people.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:55 PM

2,838 posts, read 1,319,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
None of this applies to what Iím saying. The government is forcing private employers to conform to this decree. I donít care about weed smokers. I donít care about any of the pro- or anti- arguments in regards to pot. Itís really simple:

If a business owner wants to preclude pot smokers from being their employees, that is their decisions to make, just as another business should be able to hire ONLY pot smokers if thatís what they so desire.

Government shouldnít be forcing employers to hire ANYONE for any reason whatsoever.

Yeah, I totally misunderstood you. I thought you were more in agreement with what I was saying about the government not having power over what someone should be able to do with their bodies.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:02 PM

2,838 posts, read 1,319,148 times
There was a post on another forum about someone being an entrepreneur with a record. I started doing some research and found that in many states, people with records (non-violent crimes) can't obtain occupational licenses. Some have to wait 5 years in order to be eligible. What kind of sh** is that? It's essentially slavery. You have trouble getting hired after leaving jail/prison and then when you try to become self-employed, you can't do that either because state governments put restrictions on who can obtain a license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or