Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 03:56 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
How free is a society that bans people for no reasons?

Can you fly an airplane high?

No.

You cannot operate on one either.

But if someone parties on a Friday or Saturday night, that has no effect on their office job.

Needlessly excluding people from employment when NYC has RECORD homeless population?

I want some of you so called conservatives to explain why you get such joy in trying to destroy the lives on others, and why you want to do the most vile and demonic things to your fellow human beings.

Why does it make you feel so good to hurt others?

For real. How free is a society that bars people from becoming entrepreneurs because of what they consume or some minor sh**. I have been doing some reading and people are getting records for stupid a** reasons and then can't obtain occupational licenses because of it. They have to wait YEARS before becoming eligible. And then some of the things they are forcing people to get licenses for it's like...are you fu***** serious!?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 08:07 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
For real. How free is a society that bars people from becoming entrepreneurs because of what they consume or some minor sh**. I have been doing some reading and people are getting records for stupid a** reasons and then can't obtain occupational licenses because of it. They have to wait YEARS before becoming eligible. And then some of the things they are forcing people to get licenses for it's like...are you fu***** serious!?!?
It's called breaking the law. You might consider it minor **** but Marijuana is still a federal controlled substance and that's widely known. It's not like a big secret that pot has been illegal for decades. People who smoked pot have done it in spite of that law, and I don't have any problem with it being a bar to employment. If it were legal like alcohol or tobacco that would be a whole different story, but even then in employment with positions that depend on being mentally sharp like a heavy equipment operator or surgeon, employers should be allowed to require non-users of recreational drugs

Old 04-18-2019, 12:57 PM

30,635 posts, read 18,222,068 times
This legislation is actually likely unconstitutional as it is preempted by federal drug laws, though I don't see the feds stepping in to have the law invalidated.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:01 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
BS. It's not a business's right to dictate anything about your free time unless it's in some kind of employment contract. THAT'S a free society. If that rubs you the wrong way, move your business to saudi arabia

Where have you been? People have been getting fired/not hired for all kinds of things for years.

People get fired regularly for posting stuff on social media on their free time, even when there's nothing in an employment contract.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:15 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
It's called breaking the law. You might consider it minor **** but Marijuana is still a federal controlled substance and that's widely known. It's not like a big secret that pot has been illegal for decades. People who smoked pot have done it in spite of that law, and I don't have any problem with it being a bar to employment. If it were legal like alcohol or tobacco that would be a whole different story, but even then in employment with positions that depend on being mentally sharp like a heavy equipment operator or surgeon, employers should be allowed to require non-users of recreational drugs
Slavery was LEGAL in the US. It was illegal for women to vote until the early 20th century.

During the colonial says, Brown University denied admission to all except white male Baptists(Catholics, Jews, and other Protestant denominations need not apply).

Just because a government says something is the law does not mean the government is right. You seem like the mind of person who would support even Hitler and Stalin. Hey what they did in the context of their own nations as legal.

As for surgeons, alcohol is legal and you cannot be drunk on the job. Truthfully any job can fire you if you are blatantly under the influence on them job, even if it’s just alcohol.

But no job had the right to fire you for what you do on your own time. A person smoking weed on Friday had no effect on their office job, restaurant job, or on gym job the next day.

Btw, for people who genuinely have substance abuse issues, let’s just say firing someone for no good reason(weed or whatever drug wasn’t affecting their job performance, it just showed up in their system). Now that you’ve destroyed that person’s life, think of the affects you’ve had on that person going forward.

Sone of you probably got off on drowning puppies, killing kittens, torturing defenseless creatures. In other words, you’re sick sadists.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:43 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Your posts are pure comedy at this point.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-19-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post

Our laws are broken. We need to revisit them. A lot of our drugs laws were put into place based off racist ideas/prejudices and/or this whole notion of moral superiority (many get this from the Bible). Our laws should be based on science.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Slavery was LEGAL in the US. It was illegal for women to vote until the early 20th century.

During the colonial says, Brown University denied admission to all except white male Baptists(Catholics, Jews, and other Protestant denominations need not apply).

Just because a government says something is the law does not mean the government is right. You seem like the mind of person who would support even Hitler and Stalin. Hey what they did in the context of their own nations as legal.

As for surgeons, alcohol is legal and you cannot be drunk on the job. Truthfully any job can fire you if you are blatantly under the influence on them job, even if it’s just alcohol.

But no job had the right to fire you for what you do on your own time. A person smoking weed on Friday had no effect on their office job, restaurant job, or on gym job the next day.

Btw, for people who genuinely have substance abuse issues, let’s just say firing someone for no good reason(weed or whatever drug wasn’t affecting their job performance, it just showed up in their system). Now that you’ve destroyed that person’s life, think of the affects you’ve had on that person going forward.

Sone of you probably got off on drowning puppies, killing kittens, torturing defenseless creatures. In other words, you’re sick sadists.

Exactly! This country is pretty sick and there needs to be some serious healing.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:49 PM

725 posts, read 805,536 times
The issue here is not employers being able to decide who they hire but requiring drug tests of body fluids of employees or prospective employees. I think the latter is disgusting. An employer has no business knowing what a person puts in his or her body just like the government doesn’t. What one does at home is a private matter. Obviously if a person looks and acts like a pothead or addict in a job interview employers should be able to say no thanks.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:31 AM

323 posts, read 199,356 times
I really don't give a rat's behind what people choose to consume recreationally in their own time, but I did notice one thing at my last job. Just to get out of the house a few days a week I took a retail job at a big box pet store. Out of a crew of 25 people, a marine veteran I worked with and myself were the only non-pot smokers. Even the managers smoked up. It was like working with members of the zombie apocalypse. The burners hardly worked and did the most stupidest things. Most would duck and hide behind the shelves every few minutes to take a toke of their marijuana vapes and it seemed that that other guy and I were the only ones clear minded enough to get any work done which led to us having to cover everyone else's slack.

One of my stoned co-workers decided to jump into a tall snow bank right outside the store for giggles during his lunch break and sliced his knee open to the bone because there was half of a broken off metal sign post hidden under the snow. He had to be rushed to the ER and couldn't come back to work for 4 weeks. Someone else decided to play ninja by tossing a box cutter up in the air while high and trying to catch it in his hand. That guy cut his whole hand open and had to get 20 stitches at the ER and was out for 3 weeks.

One guy that was head of the tropical fish department accidently killed $5,000 worth of exotic fish by pouring the wrong chemicals into the aquariums while high off his A@#! Another co-worker who was high, ended up killing 15 hamsters by not paying attention and vacuuming them all up with a shop vac when he was stoned while cleaning out the habitats. One of my managers would lock herself in the office pretending to do paperwork and would toke up and fall asleep in the chair. One day I almost got held up and she was so out cold she could hardly get up to call 911 for me when I knocked on the locked door to get her attention. I wasn't able to call out on the portable store phone and needed her to do it for me. How did I know all these people were high? I saw them all toking up and they constantly asked me if I wanted some too while working.

I could go on and on, but the pot heads are going to scream for equal employment rights. Sadly, most of these employees weren't young kids. They were twenty and thirty something year old adults. There is a time to toke up and a time to be responsible on a job too. Unfortunately, most pot smokers blaze up during work too. I wouldn't blame employers for wanting to vette their prospective employees. Why should they have to pay out workers comp claims, deal with losses and damage to the merchandise and low productivity because of people that chose to alter their brains and goof off? If I were a business owner I would not hire a pot smoker because of what I saw going on behind the scenes.

Last edited by dk1111; 04-20-2019 at 02:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: