Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 02:20 PM

983 posts, read 924,694 times

Advertisements

It's still perfectly legal to fire someone for being high on the job or ****ing up their job because they were on drugs at the time. So it's not any of your boss's business what you do on your own time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 02:22 PM

18,876 posts, read 13,760,144 times
If a business shows interest in their employees’ free time and that rubs you wrong, you’re free to look for work elsewhere. That’s a free society. Not one that forces others to run their business how the leftists decree.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-13-2019, 02:35 PM

983 posts, read 924,694 times
BS. It's not a business's right to dictate anything about your free time unless it's in some kind of employment contract. THAT'S a free society. If that rubs you the wrong way, move your business to saudi arabia

Old 04-13-2019, 02:47 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,839,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
That's my issue with it. I have nothing against weed users but I feel like it's government overreach to prevent private employers from testing.
Yet you two will complain if people who cannot get jobs get on welfare.

Those who call themselves "right wing" seem to get off on being as cruel and as vile as possible.

Old 04-13-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
None of this applies to what I’m saying. The government is forcing private employers to conform to this decree. I don’t care about weed smokers. I don’t care about any of the pro- or anti- arguments in regards to pot. It’s really simple:

If a business owner wants to preclude pot smokers from being their employees, that is their decisions to make, just as another business should be able to hire ONLY pot smokers if that’s what they so desire.

Government shouldn’t be forcing employers to hire ANYONE for any reason whatsoever.
No, it's not the business decision. Businesses get licenses from the government to be allowed to operate legally.

The US constitution, which conservatives love to quote, gives the federal government the right to regulate interstate commerce. And as powers not expressly delegated to the federal government, go to the state governments, yes the city and the state do indeed have the right to regulate labor.

Saying that because it's someone's business they can do whatever they want is wrong. What if someone wanted to sell hamburgers made of human meat in their business? Should be be allowed to do that?

Old 04-13-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
If a business shows interest in their employees’ free time and that rubs you wrong, you’re free to look for work elsewhere. That’s a free society. Not one that forces others to run their business how the leftists decree.
But you don't work in the private sector, and to my understand you haven't in a long time. You're protected by strong union contracts put in by leftists.

I guess back in the 1960s you would have opposed civil rights, and in the early 20th century you would have opposed women's suffrage.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
BS. It's not a business's right to dictate anything about your free time unless it's in some kind of employment contract. THAT'S a free society. If that rubs you the wrong way, move your business to saudi arabia
You want the government to dictate, I get it, but that’s not America. If I want to open a restaurant that only employs white boys, being able to do so is freedom. Anything else is not. Harsh reality, but true.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-13-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yet you two will complain if people who cannot get jobs get on welfare.

Those who call themselves "right wing" seem to get off on being as cruel and as vile as possible.
I complain that welfare exists period. I do not concern myself with the job prospects of those who are on it.

Furthermore, are you implying that welfare people smoke weed, because otherwise, welfare is irrelevant to this discussion.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
No, it's not the business decision. Businesses get licenses from the government to be allowed to operate legally.

The US constitution, which conservatives love to quote, gives the federal government the right to regulate interstate commerce. And as powers not expressly delegated to the federal government, go to the state governments, yes the city and the state do indeed have the right to regulate labor.

Saying that because it's someone's business they can do whatever they want is wrong. What if someone wanted to sell hamburgers made of human meat in their business? Should be be allowed to do that?
Business licenses shouldn’t exist either. If my business is faulty, people will not patronize it and I will fail. You see how this works?

Just admit you don’t like freedom and we can have a discussion. You’re arguing from a point you won’t admit. I’m being honest about my position. And you are using ridiculous examples to push your agenda. It is inherently immoral to eat humans. It is not inherently immoral to not want to be responsible for pothead employees.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:28 PM

12,176 posts, read 7,138,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
How is it a free society when businesses are forced to, with no choice, to hire drug users? Would you extend that same idea for someone molesting children or raping or stealing or murdering in their free time as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: